F@#$ed By The Zebra!

FirefightnRick

The ULL broadcasters said it was a defensive holding call before the pass was thrown. Still a poor defensive play to be making on 4th down.

That was the problem - our guys have to know that you can't hold a receiver on that play!!!!!!!! Just run with the receiver and make the QB make a great pass. He wouldn't have made the pass - and we win the game.

Just more mental mistakes......

I thought it was a good call and a stupid play by our defensive back.

Stupid play by our DB? You act like he tackled him or something?

http://espn.go.com/broadband/espn360/playe...de=&league=

Here's a link to the replay of the game. Click on replay at the top right and scroll down to our game.

The play is at the 3:21 mark, you can fast forward to it. The reciever runs a 12 yard flag. Hill is giving him an 8 yard cushion. They meet at the 25 yard line (8 yards deep) where Aubrey does a swim move and shoves him with his right hand on the break as you see 1,000 times every saturday when a reciever attempts to gain separation from the defender, and Hill stands his ground, stays with him and immediately looks back at the ball and remains looking back at the ball even through Aubrey's jump. If there was holding involved Aubrey would not have gained another 5 yards after his break (contact at the 25 and comes down on the 20). His progress was never close to being impeded. If anything it's incidental contact between the two, nothing more. If that's holding it could be called on nearly every passing attempt. What's even more amazing is Hill never even jumps for the ball because it was so obviously overthrown.

Horrible, game-changing call.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

Here's a link to the replay of the game. Click on replay at the top right and scroll down to our game.

The play is at the 3:21 mark, you can fast forward to it. The reciever runs a 12 yard flag. Hill is giving him an 8 yard cushion. They meet at the 25 yard line (8 yards deep) where Aubrey does a swim move and shoves him with his right hand on the break as you see 1,000 times every saturday when a reciever attempts to gain separation from the defender, and Hill stands his ground, stays with him and immediately looks back at the ball and remains looking back at the ball even through Aubrey's jump. If there was holding involved Aubrey would not have gained another 5 yards after his break (contact at the 25 and comes down on the 20). His progress was never close to being impeded. If anything it's incidental contact between the two, nothing more. If that's holding it could be called on nearly every passing attempt. What's even more amazing is Hill never even jumps for the ball because it was so obviously overthrown.

Rick

I have to agree with you Rick. I just don't see the infraction. The unspoken rule among refs is to not call something at the end of the game unless the penalty was clear. Where was the clear penalty? Still, as many have stated, we should have won that game by 14 points. What a heartbreaker.

I have to agree with you Rick. I just don't see the infraction. The unspoken rule among refs is to not call something at the end of the game unless the penalty was clear. Where was the clear penalty? Still, as many have stated, we should have won that game by 14 points. What a heartbreaker.

I didn't see the infractionn myself, but as filmerj pointed out while we were watching it, the officials all discussed it and if any of them had a problem with it, they should have picked up the foul. But at the same time as he pointed out above, we should have NEVER been in that situation.

I didn't see the infractionn myself, but as filmerj pointed out while we were watching it, the officials all discussed it and if any of them had a problem with it, they should have picked up the foul. But at the same time as he pointed out above, we should have NEVER been in that situation.

Not sure but the announcers stated you can pick up an interference flag if the pass was uncatchable, but not holding. I think the discussion was whether the guy was calling holding or interference?

Rick

Agreed...BAD Call...should not have been made...BUT, the D had plenty of chances after that to hold on a make a stop. Didn't do it...game lost. If you are playing an away game, you had better factor in some "home cooking" by the refs...our team needs to smarten up a bit and understand how it will play out more often than not during away games....Oh, well...it was Still a stupid call by the ref! Good Grief.

GO MEAN GREEN.

Rick

The holding was clear on the TV replay. The call was correct.

I just took a look at this play again, and I have to agree with Rick in that if that flag was going to be thrown, it should have been thrown before the receiver was making his break, because that's when the 'foul' occurred. The ref pulled the flag after the pass went over the receiver as what I thought was an uncatchable ball. The holding did not appear egregious to me, either. Definitely ticky tack, but again, you can't give a ref any ammo in that situation. You're in Louisiana, for pete's sake. ;)

The holding was clear on the TV replay. The call was correct.

You must have watched a different telecast. The only replay I saw was the players going up for the ball with minor contact. The penalty was for holding which had to take place before the ball was thrown, otherwise I think it would had to have been pass interference. I did go back and replay the action several times and it appears there was contact before the ball was thrown, however the referee threw his flag after the attempted catch and made no motion for the flag earlier. In any case, I didn't find it clear at all based on the television view.

Edited by GrandGreen