Anyone Going To The Alabama Game?

pvilleguru

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

pardon my ignorance, but who's anita bryant? Denny Chimes is named after one of the former university president's, George Denny. he served from 1912-1936. it's also the same Denny that the stadium is named after (Bryant-Denny).

--- Not surprised...Haven't heard that name in years... (30 maybe) I think she was a former Miss America and she was from Florida? and as spokesperson for orange juice, a Bible thumper, and did something that ticked everyone offf.... She dissappeared from the TV-screens shortly after that.

--- Not surprised...Haven't heard that name in years... (30 maybe) I think she was a former Miss America and she was from Florida? and as spokesperson for orange juice, a Bible thumper, and did something that ticked everyone offf.... She dissappeared from the TV-screens shortly after that.

ok, yeah. i'm just 21. that's well before my time.

Because we didn't want to spend more than $200 for a mediocre hotel (or more than $150 to stay at a Super 8) in Tuscaloosa, and we didn't want to stay in Birmingham... My brother and I are going to stay at the Motel 6. For $90 a night.

It's apparently a sub 2-star online rating, which is a very, very bad sign. If I knew I could find running water to wash up in the morning, I'd almost rather we spent the $90 on a tent and just camped in a ditch on the side of the highway.

Pray for us.

Because we didn't want to spend more than $200 for a mediocre hotel (or more than $150 to stay at a Super 8) in Tuscaloosa, and we didn't want to stay in Birmingham... My brother and I are going to stay at the Motel 6. For $90 a night.

It's apparently a sub 2-star online rating, which is a very, very bad sign. If I knew I could find running water to wash up in the morning, I'd almost rather we spent the $90 on a tent and just camped in a ditch on the side of the highway.

Pray for us.

Somebody musta growed up all fancy like. Is da poor widdle baby to classy to stay in the Motel 6?

Somebody musta growed up all fancy like. Is da poor widdle baby to classy to stay in the Motel 6?

No, I've spent my share of nights in terrible hotels. The kind where you don't even get complimentary toiletries, and you have to buy shampoo and soap out of a vending machine in the hallway.

I'm just concerned about THIS Motel 6.

1) It's less than 36 hours to kickoff, and it apparently still has a significant number of vacancies. The Bama fans who migrate back to Tuscaloosa regularly seem to know enough that they want to avoid this place.

2) The other crappy hotels (Usually, your Motel 6/Red Roof Inn/Super 8's are roughly within the same ballpark on price) all cost at least $60 more per night, and they're all either full or (apparently) damn close. When people who make this trip 6-8 times every year don't think this motel is decent enough to be worth a 40% discount compared to a Super 8 just across town... That worries me.

3) The place has a sub 2 star online rating. On a previous Mean Green road trip, we stayed in a Manhattan, Kansas motel room that featured a fire damaged carpet, blood stained bedspread, and a lingering stink that can only begin to be described with the phrase "middle school gym locker room". That place was one of the lowest rated in town - 3.something stars. This place is more than a star lower... So the people who stay there hate the place enough that even the fake ratings from the owners/management can't bring the place up to a measly two stars.

Anyway... It's not exactly a "Princess and the Pea" situation here. I'm just worried that we're dropping a hundred bucks in exchange for the equivalent of a night on the floor of a rest stop bathroom.

Edited by TheTastyGreek

old%20deliverance%204344.jpg

Your image link isn't working... But I saw the link and for anyone that's curious- It's Ned Beatty in his most famous scene.

And just to add to the list of terrible hotel characteristics I've endured in the past... I've stayed in a place where the entire hallway shared a bathroom. I've stayed in a place without toilets (hole in the floor bathroom). I spent a week sleeping on the floor of a friend's new apartment that he was able to sub-let because the AIDS patient who had been living there was forced to go off to a hospice and live out the last days of his terminal phase. I've slept in my car. I've spent a night sleeping on a beach. I've spent a night in the freezing cold sleeping on public park playground equipment. I've slept in a garage attic.

And I'm still scared of what I'm in for at this Motel 6.

On the bright side, you can score a little crack in the parking lot (both kinds). You could probably score a little meth from the room next door, but those people are paranoid, so you would probably need to ease thier fears first.

This is the reason I decide to skip this trip, couldn't find a 3 star hotel under $180 a night 3 months ago.

Seriously though, take your own sheets and blankets. Just close your eyes when you strip the sheets because you really don't want to see those mattress stains. I would consider purchasing a plastic mattress cover (like the one you had when you used to wet the bed... Come on, admit it) to provide a shield.

The last road trip I took that included a Motel 6 was when Harry, John Denver, Stebo and I went to Arkie State. We rented a Motel 6 that had an all ages crack party going on next door, there is no joke or hyperbole there. :blink:

Also, we had to crank our A/C unit to 11 because it didn't work. At 3 AM, it kicked into over drive, and I woke up ABLE TO SEE MY FROSTING BREATH. Also, one of the above mentioned road trippers was spooning me for warmth. I'll let your imagination fill in the horrid details. :(

At 3 AM, it kicked into over drive, and I woke up ABLE TO SEE MY FROSTING BREATH. Also, one of the above mentioned road trippers was spooning me for warmth. I'll let your imagination fill in the horrid details. :(

That's pretty funny. :ph34r:

I stayed in a Motel 6 one time (in McAllen) where the TV's were chained to the wall. The 'freshly' made up bed was shaped like Gilligan's hammock, and the random gunfire and jake brake punctuated night I spent there was very memorable. However, it doesn't beat the near-death experience I had in a Ramada "Limited" (there's a marketing device there) in which I was watching Andy Griffith at 10:30 in the morning on glorious TBS, (the comedic genius of Don Knotts never fails) minding my own business, when a whacked out crack daddy put his car into drive instead of reverse, and rammed it through the front door of my room, literally right next to my chair. Good times.

No, I've spent my share of nights in terrible hotels. The kind where you don't even get complimentary toiletries, and you have to buy shampoo and soap out of a vending machine in the hallway.

I'm just concerned about THIS Motel 6.

1) It's less than 36 hours to kickoff, and it apparently still has a significant number of vacancies. The Bama fans who migrate back to Tuscaloosa regularly seem to know enough that they want to avoid this place.

2) The other crappy hotels (Usually, your Motel 6/Red Roof Inn/Super 8's are roughly within the same ballpark on price) all cost at least $60 more per night, and they're all either full or (apparently) damn close. When people who make this trip 6-8 times every year don't think this motel is decent enough to be worth a 40% discount compared to a Super 8 just across town... That worries me.

3) The place has a sub 2 star online rating. On a previous Mean Green road trip, we stayed in a Manhattan, Kansas motel room that featured a fire damaged carpet, blood stained bedspread, and a lingering stink that can only begin to be described with the phrase "middle school gym locker room". That place was one of the lowest rated in town - 3.something stars. This place is more than a star lower... So the people who stay there hate the place enough that even the fake ratings from the owners/management can't bring the place up to a measly two stars.

Anyway... It's not exactly a "Princess and the Pea" situation here. I'm just worried that we're dropping a hundred bucks in exchange for the equivalent of a night on the floor of a rest stop bathroom.

Just remember, Patrick Cobbs only had two stars.

She was also a major opponent of Gay Rights. She led campaigns all over the country to take away as many of their rights as possible. Bitch.

Really? Which rights of theirs did she seek to have taken away? Voting? Gainful employment?

She traveled from Florida to California to take on Harvey Milk in the 70's. Rent the movie "Milk" and they have a fairly good portayal of the history. I don't want to get political in the football forum - but it shocks me that Bama has a part of their stadium named after her (or anything for that matter). She is a controversial woman - well, she was.

Guest JohnDenver

The last road trip I took that included a Motel 6 was when Harry, John Denver, Stebo and I went to Arkie State. We rented a Motel 6 that had an all ages crack party going on next door, there is no joke or hyperbole there. :blink:

Also, we had to crank our A/C unit to 11 because it didn't work. At 3 AM, it kicked into over drive, and I woke up ABLE TO SEE MY FROSTING BREATH. Also, one of the above mentioned road trippers was spooning me for warmth. I'll let your imagination fill in the horrid details. :(

I wasn't spooning you as much as I was using your width (side height?) for shelter from the freezing breeze.

She traveled from Florida to California to take on Harvey Milk in the 70's. Rent the movie "Milk" and they have a fairly good portayal of the history. I don't want to get political in the football forum - but it shocks me that Bama has a part of their stadium named after her (or anything for that matter). She is a controversial woman - well, she was.

I can't believe that Bear Bryant's wife was anti-gay. I mean, Bear lived in College Station for several years before females were even allowed to attend A&M, and you can just imagine what kind of scenes that he must have stumbled into in those days. :o

Your image link isn't working... But I saw the link and for anyone that's curious- It's Ned Beatty in his most famous scene.

And just to add to the list of terrible hotel characteristics I've endured in the past... I've stayed in a place where the entire hallway shared a bathroom. I've stayed in a place without toilets (hole in the floor bathroom). I spent a week sleeping on the floor of a friend's new apartment that he was able to sub-let because the AIDS patient who had been living there was forced to go off to a hospice and live out the last days of his terminal phase. I've slept in my car. I've spent a night sleeping on a beach. I've spent a night in the freezing cold sleeping on public park playground equipment. I've slept in a garage attic.

Can't stand Motel 6, and have vowed to never stay there again. If they were actually still 6 bucks a night, I might consider it when I was asleep at the wheel in the middle of nowhere, but since they are basically an overpriced roach motel I think I would prefer to sleep in my car. In all seriousness, small town non-chain old motels usually work out much better than that place.

How was it? Everytime I drive by that place I think "how in the world is that place still open."

sketchy as hell, but it was like $22 at the time (I think this was back in 1999...) and we had of course been drinking. Anyways, as someone who loves travel but hates paying for it, I've stayed in many a questionable quarter. It's almost a rite of passage.

Just got back from a work trip that necessitated two nights in an "EconoLodge." Smell of death, no toiletries, zero hot water in the shower but only scalding water in the sink, light fixtures falling off the walls, plenty of loud/suspicious loitering outside the room, and a good number of what could only be described as "Pubes" all over the sheets. Sometimes you just have to grin and bare.

On a side note, I spent 3 months sleeping in a garage attic on a little couch I found outside of my old roach coach apartment complex in the middle of cement city.

Just remember, Patrick Cobbs only had two stars.

This is possibly the greatest +1 comment I've ever seen. A slow clap would be inappropriate; this deserves a round of thundering applause.

And for greenminer- you'll know I'm home safe on Sunday because I'll probably post here and I'll definitely write up the trip for TakeAKnee. I even held back some terrible lodging stories in case this place sucks as hard as I think it will.