Breaking News

God, I hate the NCAA and its' inconsistent justice. Still waiting on the USC probation for Reggie Bush......waiting...waiting....waiting....

Edit: According to info that TTG posted on another site....we are now limited to 79 scholarship players (it was 80). And, we can only sign 19 players next year.

Our football score dropped from 917 to 911.

Apparently according to TTG....our men's basketball penalty is over. (so we should be at full scholarships there).

Edited by SUMG

As a former player, I just want to say this is bullcrap! This isn't a TD problem or a DD problem. This is an player by player problem. The systems are in place to help these kids like never before seen at NT. They're not perfect, but they are better than they have ever been. However, somewhere the kids need to begin to realize that their education is on them. You put in the work, you study, you go to class AND PAY ATTENTION and you will give yourself an incredible opportunity to succeed. Coaches can see if you're in class and they can get progress reports, they can punish you, but all that won't help if you do not decide to take it upon yourself to be something a little better than a football player stereotype!

I'm stopping now because I'm starting to get really pissed off...

I take it that all the promises of improvement this coming year were in error, that we are still feeling hangover from previous results.

Any solid source know when we should start bouncing back due to supposed score improvements under TD? Next year, maybe?

....in my lifetime, maybe?

I take it that all the promises of improvement this coming year were in error, that we are still feeling hangover from previous results.

Any solid source know when we should start bouncing back due to supposed score improvements under TD? Next year, maybe?

....in my lifetime, maybe?

MeanGreenSports:

“We knew that we had a hole to dig out of in football and next year we will drop off our lowest score in the current four-year cohort,” Villarreal said. “This football staff has been charged with improving the academic standards and with the progress that they have shown recently – including an APR score of 968 last fall – we believe they will be above the 925 mark in next year’s multi-year score.”

See, it just keeps getting worse. With this staff it just seems to keep falling. Oh well.

I realize your are not a Dodge believer but you should look at the UNT Athletic Web site before you start hits on Dodge re APR.

Per the NT athletic web site....NT posted a multiple year 4 year rating of 911...AND WILL BE FORCED TO COMPETE WITH A MAXIMUM OF 81 SHIPS...THAT MEANS THIS YEAR WE LOSE ONLY 4 SHIPS.

Per RV "the football staff has been charged with improving the academic stands and with the progress they have shown recently--INCLUDING AN APR SCORE OF 968 LAST YEAR we believe they will be above the 925 mark in next years multi-year score"

interesting that 13 of the 16 UNT sports above or above 955 and 7 had perfect scores.

It goes on to say that we will be dropping our lowest score off next year, which would have been TD's last year. I must say that this doesn't really seem to be much of a TD doing, but it is something that he is having to deal with. The team got a 964 this past year, which is pretty good.

I really can't see the APR improving with the way Dodge hit the JUCO ranks this year. Those guys were there for a reason. Just sayin...

True but they also have to graduate in order to move on to DI. We've had many juco's play under a variety of HC's - some were stars and did well in class; others weren't stars and still did well; and still others were a total bust at both. However I'm sure we've had our fair share of HS kids come in and not cut it too.

Was the APR system in place back in the days of Snyder at K-State? Seems he loaded up on Juco's and it worked out well enough he had a stadium named for him.

True but they also have to graduate in order to move on to DI. We've had many juco's play under a variety of HC's - some were stars and did well in class; others weren't stars and still did well; and still others were a total bust at both. However I'm sure we've had our fair share of HS kids come in and not cut it too.

Was the APR system in place back in the days of Snyder at K-State? Seems he loaded up on Juco's and it worked out well enough he had a stadium named for him.

Has the stereotype of signing JUCO's kept of with the reality? It seems like signing JUCO talent is a widespread practice now, at greater as well as lesser D1 football programs. Based on the results of many HS kids who came in with this and the previous head coach, I'm just as willing to give the JUCO's an opportunity. At least they have a post high school track record. It's probably true that most of those starting with the JUCO's did so for academic reasons, but I've heard there's an increasing trend of D1 college coaches encouraging it for athletic development of those guys who are younger or for other reasons could use more playing experience than they got in high school. My understanding is that Nebraska and some other D1 programs have had virtual "farm systems" at certain JUCO's; if we're not looking at this possibility, perhaps we should be.

Has the stereotype of signing JUCO's kept of with the reality? It seems like signing JUCO talent is a widespread practice now, at greater as well as lesser D1 football programs. Based on the results of many HS kids who came in with this and the previous head coach, I'm just as willing to give the JUCO's an opportunity. At least they have a post high school track record. It's probably true that most of those starting with the JUCO's did so for academic reasons, but I've heard there's an increasing trend of D1 college coaches encouraging it for athletic development of those guys who are younger or for other reasons could use more playing experience than they got in high school. My understanding is that Nebraska and some other D1 programs have had virtual "farm systems" at certain JUCO's; if we're not looking at this possibility, perhaps we should be.

The plus side of a JUCO is that they have already adjusted to the speed of the college level game, the academics, and the living away from home part that some high school recruits have trouble with. The downside is you only have them in your program for two years.

The plus side of a JUCO is that they have already adjusted to the speed of the college level game, the academics, and the living away from home part that some high school recruits have trouble with. The downside is you only have them in your program for two years.

I can certainly agree with everything you've said here. I think the question is, do the pluses you mentioned outweigh the minuses? I guess we're on schedule to find out over the next couple of years. I'd like to know if there have been any studies using objective performance measures for either. I think that overall, this comes down to a traditional (HS) vs nontraditional (JC) approach to recruiting players, and that there's a generally more favorable view of JC players now than in the past.

Edited by eulessismore

Full report here:

http://web1.ncaa.org/app_data/apr2008/497_2008_apr.pdf

Limited to awarding 19 initial athletic

scholarships.

Limited to awarding 79 athletic scholarship

renewals. *

*The penalty amount listed includes a penalty that was previously conditionally waived; however, the team failed to meet the condition and the penalty must now be imposed.

Edited by UNTflyer