Next Fiu Coach = Isiah Thomas?

greenminer

Who cares? If the guy could actually coach he would still be in the NBA!

Is that true with football coaches too? Pete Carrol says "hello". Sometimes certain coaches aren't made for the the Pros and vice versa.

I mean as great a coach as I think Phil Jackson is - he'd probably crash and burn in college.

Is that true with football coaches too? Pete Carrol says "hello". Sometimes certain coaches aren't made for the the Pros and vice versa.

So a triumphant return to his heyday in college, right? I mean, Isiah has had success coaching on the college level, right? That's what would make this a great hire. So, given that he doesn't, this is just a headline grab.

So a triumphant return to his heyday in college, right? I mean, Isiah has had success coaching on the college level, right? That's what would make this a great hire. So, given that he doesn't, this is just a headline grab.

First off, I didn't say this was a great hire.

Carrol didn't have success at college before he went to USC. I'm not even sure he'd ever been an assistant at college. He was a well respected NFL assistant who'd been fired as a head coach twice.

How did it work out for Clyde Drexler?

Pretty crappy.

Then again, Drexler had no coaching experience if I recall correctly. Thomas had 3 pretty decent seasons in Indiana before the debacle in New York. It's a risk, no doubt. Truth is, we don't know how good this move will be for FIU, but it's a better risk to take a shot at a former pro coach with some results, than a HS coaching legend.

Looks like a great hire. I can't believe so many on this forum are predicting doom, I think there might be some envy involved. FIU has probably the worst basketball facilities and support in the Belt, they bring in someone who just might change that. Do you think the normal Belt hire would have any better chance than Thomas at FIU. If nothing else, this hire will bring expusure to FIU and the Belt, usually a good thing. FIU has little to lose with this hire, and a potential big upside. It seems to me this is another sign that the Belt as a conference is progressing up the NCAA ladder.

Looks like a great hire. I can't believe so many on this forum are predicting doom, I think there might be some envy involved. FIU has probably the worst basketball facilities and support in the Belt, they bring in someone who just might change that. Do you think the normal Belt hire would have any better chance than Thomas at FIU. If nothing else, this hire will bring expusure to FIU and the Belt, usually a good thing. FIU has little to lose with this hire, and a potential big upside. It seems to me this is another sign that the Belt as a conference is progressing up the NCAA ladder.

No envy, I just think Thomas is a cancer and it is all about him. His Knicks job was a mess and he ran the CBA in the ground as their commissioner. Great for the pub to the Sun Belt, but I'm not impressed with him.

Let's put this in perspective. The CBA chugs along nicely from 1946-1999. In 1999, Isaiah Thomas comes along and buys the entire league. The whole league goes bankrupt and ceases operations 2 years later. It remains defunct until long after Thomas' departure when it is absorbed by the IBL.

So Thomas was able to destroy 55 years of successful operations in 2. Let's see what he can do with a program that already sucks.