Your 1st Place Texas Rangers

RANGERS RECALL OF JULIO BORBON FROM TRIPLE-A OKLAHOMA CITY;

OPTION RHP WILLIE EYRE

Arlington, Texas – The Texas Rangers announced prior to tonight’s game that the club has recalled outfielder Julio Borbon (#29) from Triple-A Oklahoma City. To make room on the roster for Borbon (pronounced boar-BONE), the club has optioned right-handed pitcher Willie Eyre to Oklahoma City. Borbon is in the starting lineup tonight, looking to make his major league debut in the series opener against the Angels.

Borbon, 23, has spent the entire season with the RedHawks, batting .298 (90-302) with 2 home runs, 11 doubles, 5 triples, and 28 RBI over 71 games in his first action at the Triple-A level. He has 19 stolen bases in 23 attempts. Borbon bats and throws from the left side, and he has a .323 (32-99) average in June to raise his season figure from .286 to .298. He has a .312 average against right-handed pitchers in the Pacific Coast League. Borbon has played primarily center field for Oklahoma City, and has also seen action in left field. He hit a home run in his final Oklahoma City at-bat last night in Nashville, with the solo long ball coming off former Ranger Wes Littleton.

A supplemental first round selection (35th overall) by Texas in the 2007 June draft, Borbon was in major league spring training for a second consecutive year in 2009, appearing in 15 ‘A’ games. He was drafted out of the University of Tennessee, where he was on a club that went to the College World Series in 2005. Borbon would be the second player out of the Rangers’ 2007 Draft to appear in the major leagues, joining fellow supplemental first round selection Tommy Hunter, who posted a quality start in last night’s loss for the Rangers.

Eyre tossed 1.0 scoreless inning on Friday vs. San Diego in his only appearance after being activated from the disabled list earlier that day. He has a 5.06 ERA (3 ER/5.1 IP) in 4 overall relief appearances for Texas this season. He was on the disabled list from April 23-June 25 with a right groin strain.

After today’s moves, the Rangers still have a full 40-man roster.

– RANGERS –

If my count is correct the Rangers have 12 games left to the break, 5 of them against the Angels two more home and a three game series there, with 3 against Tampa Bay in between and finishing out against what may be a very hunger Seattle. If things go bad we maybe giving Oakland a run for their money.

And we are back! Well, for at least a day. Man, isn't it nice when that the Rangers can pull a starting pitcher up from the minors and get a quality start? We are living in an alternate universe.

It is about that time in the season to stop doubting the starting pitching as a whole. A month can be an anomaly. 3 plus months of solid starting pitching should now be considered the norm. We all need to accept the fact that the rotation is probably not going to add an arm at the deadline because Hicks Co. is broke. I know the rotation isn't chalked full of household names or guys you necessarily would draft on your fantasy squad, but they are getting things done. Even if they are under 24 years of age. This team IS a contender and we all need to buckle up for one Helluva fun summer. BTW if you have some free time today there is a chance Tommy Hunter will make an appearance today on Ticket Sports Saturday from 3-6 if you care.

It is about that time in the season to stop doubting the starting pitching as a whole. A month can be an anomaly. 3 plus months of solid starting pitching should now be considered the norm. We all need to accept the fact that the rotation is probably not going to add an arm at the deadline because Hicks Co. is broke. I know the rotation isn't chalked full of household names or guys you necessarily would draft on your fantasy squad, but they are getting things done. Even if they are under 24 years of age. This team IS a contender and we all need to buckle up for one Helluva fun summer. BTW if you have some free time today there is a chance Tommy Hunter will make an appearance today on Ticket Sports Saturday from 3-6 if you care.

Agree on the pitching. Ditto for the offense. I think that the best thing long term for this club is NOT to make a trade for an impact player. Daniels has shown to be horrible as a buyer, but good as a seller at the trade deadline. Let's just play this puppy out with what we have and see what happens.

Edited by UNT90

Davis needs to get his act together so we can use him as trade bait for next year when Smoak gets up here.

But yes, he seems like a pretty standup guy.

A little quick to put Smoak ahead of Davis... Somehow you've forgotten how well Davis was doing last year in about as many games. Anyone thinking of sending Ian Kinsler back down?

I don't really care how well he did last year, when you lead the league in strikeouts, by a wide margin, you lose the god faith you built the year before... It is a what have you done for me lately league right?

Ian Kinsler is not in the same type of slump, i have faith that he is going to come out of it and I don't have the same faith in Davis

I don't really care how well he did last year, when you lead the league in strikeouts, by a wide margin, you lose the god faith you built the year before... It is a what have you done for me lately league right?

Ian Kinsler is not in the same type of slump, i have faith that he is going to come out of it and I don't have the same faith in Davis

If striking out a lot leads to an existential crisis, this team has bigger problems than just a thin rotation and production out of the first base slot.

Also, check Kinsler's numbers since May when you have a chance - it's depressing. I do not understand how Michael Young hasn't slapped him across the face and just said "watch me use the whole field."

Also, you need Davis and Smoak going to share 1B/DH once Blalock, Jones and Byrd leave (we certainly ain't keeping them all). Max Ramirez was supposed to be our insurance to make trades with a strong hitter, but his wrist injury is tough.

Also, considering Ryan Howard struck out 122 times before the all-star break pretty recently, it might be a good idea to not give up on the guy.

8-5. Back in 1st. Baseball is a funny game and if you watched it tonight then you know why. Texas scored 6 in the 5th, all with 2 outs. if MY doesn't bust-ass down the line for an IF single, then there is a chance Lackey throws another few innings and they probably lose. Instead you get the BEST 2 out rally of the season so far. Also, Wonderboy is back in the pen. 17 of 19 pitches tonight were strikes in 2 great innings. If Salty doesn't drop an easy pop then he is tagged with no runs. Again, the great game is quirky like that. Josh and Hank 3 hits apiece. Nice. Oh and by the way I haven't noticed any plays not being made at 1stbase since Davis was sent to AAA (maybe the dumbest argument for those who though Davis should stay in the bigs). But give davis credit, from what I understand he was a homer shy of the cycle tonight for OKC, and I don't believe he struck out. Again nice.

Now we sit back for the next 19 hours and wonder how Padilla will be after being pushed back because of a sore shoulder. I have a snealing suspicion we will see the good Vinny in the finale. Doesn't mean they will win, but i expect him to battle a patient lineup and fire a decent 6 innings. Man I like good baseball.

Oh and by the way I haven't noticed any plays not being made at 1stbase since Davis was sent to AAA (maybe the dumbest argument for those who though Davis should stay in the bigs). But give davis credit, from what I understand he was a homer shy of the cycle tonight for OKC, and I don't believe he struck out. Again nice.

I guess he just needed a break from Jaramillo. :)

Six good innings from Padilla and the Rangers leave LA in 1st place.

8-5. Back in 1st. Baseball is a funny game and if you watched it tonight then you know why. Texas scored 6 in the 5th, all with 2 outs. if MY doesn't bust-ass down the line for an IF single, then there is a chance Lackey throws another few innings and they probably lose. Instead you get the BEST 2 out rally of the season so far. Also, Wonderboy is back in the pen. 17 of 19 pitches tonight were strikes in 2 great innings. If Salty doesn't drop an easy pop then he is tagged with no runs. Again, the great game is quirky like that. Josh and Hank 3 hits apiece. Nice. Oh and by the way I haven't noticed any plays not being made at 1stbase since Davis was sent to AAA (maybe the dumbest argument for those who though Davis should stay in the bigs). But give davis credit, from what I understand he was a homer shy of the cycle tonight for OKC, and I don't believe he struck out. Again nice.

Now we sit back for the next 19 hours and wonder how Padilla will be after being pushed back because of a sore shoulder. I have a snealing suspicion we will see the good Vinny in the finale. Doesn't mean they will win, but i expect him to battle a patient lineup and fire a decent 6 innings. Man I like good baseball.

There were 3 or 4 high throws last night that made me cringe...only to see them settle snuggly in Hanks glove. Also, it is amazing how Hamilton settles the lineup. Once we drop Kinsler down the order to get his head right or reshuffle the deck a little bit to let Murphy or Andrus lead off, this thing could really get rolling offensively.

There were 3 or 4 high throws last night that made me cringe...only to see them settle snuggly in Hanks glove. Also, it is amazing how Hamilton settles the lineup. Once we drop Kinsler down the order to get his head right or reshuffle the deck a little bit to let Murphy or Andrus lead off, this thing could really get rolling offensively.

.vs Righties

1. Murphey, LF

2. Young, 3B

3. Hamilton, CF

4. Cruz, RF

5. Blaylock, 1B

6. Kinsler, 2B

7. Byrd, DH

8. Salty, C

9. Andrus, SS

.vs Lefties

1. Byrd, LF

2. Young, 3B

3. Hamilton, CF

4. Cruz, RF

5. Jones, DH

6. Kinsler, 2B

7. Blaylock, 1B

8. Salty, C

9. Andrus, SS

Murphey is second on the club in OBP (.355) despite the horrid start. Over the last 30 games he is leading the team in batting average (.308), OBP (.360) and OPS (.937). That's a lead-off guy, despite not having much speed (5 for 9 in steals)...and then your top 2 OBP guys are 1-2 in front of the power of the order. There's talk of him getting work at first to increase his ABs

Hammy should DH at least occassionally...but Wash doesn't have the sack.

If Kinsler wants to hit like Robinson Cano, he should hit where Cano hits in the line-up. I hope he decides to go back to being a professional hitter.

I'd love for Andrus to eventually be a lead-off guy, but he just doesn't get on base enough.

.vs Righties

1. Murphey, LF

2. Young, 3B

3. Hamilton, CF

4. Cruz, RF

5. Blaylock, 1B

6. Kinsler, 2B

7. Byrd, DH

8. Salty, C

9. Andrus, SS

.vs Lefties

1. Byrd, LF

2. Young, 3B

3. Hamilton, CF

4. Cruz, RF

5. Jones, DH

6. Kinsler, 2B

7. Blaylock, 1B

8. Salty, C

9. Andrus, SS

Murphey is second on the club in OBP (.355) despite the horrid start. Over the last 30 games he is leading the team in batting average (.308), OBP (.360) and OPS (.937). That's a lead-off guy, despite not having much speed (5 for 9 in steals)...and then your top 2 OBP guys are 1-2 in front of the power of the order. There's talk of him getting work at first to increase his ABs

Hammy should DH at least occassionally...but Wash doesn't have the sack.

If Kinsler wants to hit like Robinson Cano, he should hit where Cano hits in the line-up. I hope he decides to go back to being a professional hitter.

I'd love for Andrus to eventually be a lead-off guy, but he just doesn't get on base enough.

SPORTS!

I like the lead off idea, but I also think Andrus would benefit from now hitting between a wind tunnel - he's been flanked by Salty/Davis and Kinsler for months now. When Kinsler was going right, he was getting pitches to hit to the point where he had three early homeruns. Now, he has to fight his way on base and usually makes something happen quickly with his speed when he does. Wasn't he around .300 the first month of the season? I think he could grow into the role, but if Bourbon is the leadoff hitter of the future anyway, no reason to mess with the kid.

Kinsler/Cano is a great comparison - both have hit for high average before and both have flashes that remind you they should be better than they are.

Regardless of tonight, anyone worried about how the pitching matchups line up with Seattle this weekend?

Hunter vs. King Felix tomorrow is tough

Feldman vs. Olson should be good for us

Millwood vs. Washburn is interesting since Millwood has been lit up in two straight starts and needs this one

Nippert vs. Bedard is a bit disconcerting.

A win tonight and 2-2 this weekend would make me pretty happy, especially since the Angels have the Yanks to deal with this weekend. Of course, I was hoping for just a win last weekend and it worked out pretty well, so I hope they show me up again.