Campus Group Wants Stadium Re-vote

UNTflyer

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was under the impression that the 14% turnout was one of the largest in school history. How is that not a big enough sample?

Can I submit a petition to deny their petition?

SGA by-laws state that any petition can get on the ballot with just 750 signatures.

What gets me is that it takes 2/3 majority to do it in the Senate, but only the signatures of 2% of the student body.

Don't worry about this petition guys. Seriously.

Edited by UNTflyer

This is completely ridiculous and unwarranted.... Really the tim to petition had already passed as there was a deadline back in the fall after election, and that time ahd passed and nobody filed anything...

This vote was publicized more than the homecoming, senate, and or election votes on campus.... Signs were posted nearby all major buildings, in the NT Daily, online, yard signs on frat row, and major throughways on campus and off campus near major intersections....

Also the opposition didnt play fair whatsoever, I counted over a dozen signs that were vandalized and or destroyed, with that being the case their petition should be voided based on these actions.

Why do I get the feeling scumbags such as Andy Hogue are behind this.. :ph34r::ph34r::angry::angry:

From Vito's Article in the DMN yesterday..

"If the group does collect enough signatures, it could present them to the student senate. Once the signatures are verified, the measure would go to the election board, which would determine if the issue fits the parameters for a student election and put it on the ballot. "

This answers my earlier question. There's not guarantee for SDS on anything for this. They HAVE to get 750 signatures JUST to get the issue considered for a re-vote, right? They could put this issue on the table, and after review, simply be told NO due if it's verified that the previous election was campaigned, held, operated within written guidelines. (and it was, so SDS, youre wasting your time)

Edited by trud1966

I'm with Flyer on this thing...stop fretting over it. This is going NOWHERE except to the crap-can. The SDS folks might be laughing about all the PR they are getting. I think they are getting way more than they deserve. I don't think there is much, if anything, to worry about here.

GO MEAN GREEN!

Why? Give this story, the petition, and the group with the attention they deserve.

Zero.

Not sure what your point is but my thoughts are this... If the Texas House and Senate act on a bill which is based on the "LEGAL" student vote held previously and they vote FOR the bill it probably doesn't make any difference what the opposing students do... should be a done deal. I certainly would NOT give the legislators any idea what is going on with the opposing students and they would not likely hear about it or have any intrest in it . I do think it is important for the Texas House and Senate to hear how important this is to the University as a whole. I am in West Texas and you can bet my reps will hear about how wonderful this will be to the University and how the students voted FOR the referendum. I don't mean to dissmiss the students but the vote passed...period. I think the state is wrong in requiring the students to vote in the first place. The BOR and elected state rep's job is to do what is best for the University NOT the students (sorry, understand that statement ruffles feathers)

Does it make you sick that students of UNT can be so dumb? I think the only argument that can be reasonably brought up against the already-voted-on ballot was that it was worded with a heavy slant FOR the stadium.

Now for the stoops that had a hard time finding out about it, well they are lazy and apathetic. If they opened their eyes once or twice or got their heads out of their [expletive deleted] they could have seen that something was going on.

Geez. And the chick that is talking about how she wants to change her vote? You can't be 'for' democracy and not inform your self about the issues that you will vote on. It is ridiculous.

Now for the stoops that had a hard time finding out about it, well they are lazy and apathetic. If they opened their eyes once or twice or got their heads out of their [expletive deleted] they could have seen that something was going on.

Well, to be fair, Bob was more focused on trying to bounce back from the Texas loss around the time of the vote and had to deal with losing his starting MLB halfway through the game.

Mike Stoops was in the middle of his best season at Arizona yet and really prepped his team well for a number of games, including almost taking down mighty USC. Mark Stoops is also running the defense for AZ and recruits DFW, so he might have had his eye on this all along. I don't think he needs a chance to do this again.

Ron Stoops, Jr. has a significant amount of high school coaching experience, so he might be keeping an eye on things here to figure out how he could make the leap.

Ron Stoops, Sr. passed away in 1988, so I don't think we can really hold a re-vote for him, but stranger things have happened.

I have no updates on what the two Stoops sisters are doing, but I hope they felt they had a chance to make their voices heard.

It just seems unfair to take the whole family to task the way you have.

My post earlier was from my phone (while standing in front of the petition set up), so I'll better explain here....

... they're set up just outside the Union doors, by the Syndicate/Einstein Bros./One O'Clock Lounge area. Basically a folding table, two chairs, two dudes (see NTDaily article photo). I've seen these guys set up in this same spot for the past year, usually just passing out info about the SDS in general... they're recognizable by the Marxist "Workers Unite" red & black fist logo we've seen over the years... always have a banner of some sort.

Anyway, the buzz is definitely around campus, but not nearly at the level of the vote itself. The "NO" crowd seems moderately mobilized, as in each of my two classes today I heard some talk of the petition and some students talking others into signing, offering to walk them over after class, etc... and it wasn't hard to overhear conversations (generally always anti-stadium) walking through the Union and GAB... I think the timing of this didn't help: http://media.www.ntdaily.com/media/storage...s-3647175.shtml

Regardless of what the article says, this was the top, above the fold headline in the Daily today... on every newsstand in every building on campus. The day after the news of the petition broke... the only other thing printed as large was the RV quote "I have never been very public about a number", which based on location, context, and timing all reeks of agenda. JMHO, of course.

Despite the nauseating feel on campus right now, I really think it's mostly because there's no real cause for "YES" people to rally behind (so all you hear are the NOs, who generally are easily identifiable from a distance), and even then it's all anti-stadium vitriol... I don't hear an uproar about the vote being unfair, just about how the team sucks and the stadium is a waste of money, blah blah...

I can't really believe anyone is giving SDS any kind of recognition, much less support. It's not even a real organization like the original was. This is a very small group that wants to be noticed for being "different." I suspect if their parents (or whomever is actually paying for their college since they certainly could not) found out about their "activities" the entire organization would cease to exist.

Do they really think they will ever get a job after being in SDS, especially after they have hit the internet with pictures that prove their guilt? Some of the current students might consider simply saying "unemployable loser" whenever they walk by the card table.

I can't really believe anyone is giving SDS any kind of recognition, much less support. It's not even a real organization like the original was. This is a very small group that wants to be noticed for being "different." I suspect if their parents (or whomever is actually paying for their college since they certainly could not) found out about their "activities" the entire organization would cease to exist.

Do they really think they will ever get a job after being in SDS, especially after they have hit the internet with pictures that prove their guilt? Some of the current students might consider simply saying "unemployable loser" whenever they walk by the card table.

so is this group really just a bunch of Dungeon and Dragon playing outkasts?

They're wearing red and black? Sounds like the pizza Nazis work to me.