Campus Group Wants Stadium Re-vote

UNTflyer

http://media.www.ntdaily.com/media/storage...e-3645180.shtml

The NT chapter of Students for a Democratic Society is making an attempt to change the democratic process here at the university. Its first step will be to pass a referendum to have a re-vote on the stadium resolution students passed last October.

Students voted to impose a new athletics fee of $7 per semester credit hour through an online Student Government Association referendum that month to pay for a new stadium to replace Fouts Field.

The group is pushing for a re-vote because members said they feel the election had a low voter turnout, possibly because students did not know that an election was taking place or where to vote.

Almost 14 percent of students, or 4,867, voted during the election with 2,829, or about 58 percent, of students voting for the athletic fee, and 2,038, or 41.9 percent, voting against the fee. SGA adviser and higher education doctoral student Melissa McGuire said the 4,876 voters was a 14 percent increase from usual voter turnout on SGA referendums.

"Here at UNT, we have the infrastructure and electronic resources to let students know when important decisions like these are being made," said David Sindt, group member and geology senior. "I really think that these elections should be included as an option in registration or something, so we can be positive that everyone at least knows about it."

The group began its petition to reverse the resolution on Feb. 12, and was told that if it is able get at least 750 signatures by March 13, then it can move to have a re-vote.

There has not been an official count but Sindt said the group has about 650 signatures.

"We don't feel that the [student Government Association] truly represents the students' wishes," said Garrett Graham, group member and radio, television, and film junior.

SGA President Jeff Kline said the original vote was completely democratic, with everyone enrolled in even one credit hour having the ability to vote online.

Chelsea Patterson, a finance junior, was one of the students who voted for the stadium, but said she is now having a slight change of heart.

"I voted 'yes', because at that time I wanted it, but I now I almost think that it doesn't matter," Patterson said. "I understand their reasoning, but I'm still not sure about it. However, I do think that having a new stadium would probably inspire some school spirit."

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is not right... it's almost like saying, "Yeah, you can vote for the President of the United States, but if you do not like results of the vote, then you have X number of days to request a re-vote." I personally do not think a re-vote should be allowed. The students had their chance to vote once already, and 14% of the students did so.... kudos to those that did. Having another re-vote will only serve the purpose of having the powers that be at the University say, "Yes, we agree with you, we're not 100% behind the result either, let's try again." A big PR mess if you ask me. Just my $.02.

The stadium is already in motion - money has already been spent. The voice of the student body has been heard. Dr B should be very vocal against this group and right NOW. These kids think this is a game that they lost and are asking for a "do-over"... it doesn't work that way. I have foten said that RV has one of the toughest AD jobs in the country and this is exactly why. No other school has this type of apathetic student base that would actually try to put effort into a whole campaign to save $7 bucks a credit hour.

Edited by stebo

The group began its petition to reverse the resolution on Feb. 12, and was told that if it is able get at least 750 signatures by March 13, then it can move to have a re-vote.

There has not been an official count but Sindt said the group has about 650 signatures.

Someone explain this to me...WHO told them this? Is there any validity to it? If they get 750, is it a done deal that we will be having a re-vote, or, do they have to 750 votes just to approach the powers that be just to ASK for this.

Someone write this out clearly how this could possilby play out. No speculations, preferrably someone that works in student government.

Someone explain this to me...WHO told them this? Is there any validity to it? If they get 750, is it a done deal that we will be having a re-vote, or, do they have to 750 votes just to approach the powers that be just to ASK for this.

Someone write this out clearly how this could possilby play out. No speculations, preferrably someone that works in student government.

so if the students had initially voted no, could a group get pissed and ask for a re-vote? This just seems so undemocratic.

so if the students had initially voted no, could a group get pissed and ask for a re-vote? This just seems so undemocratic.

That's my point of this all being so unclear...We had a vote, we won, period. There was a "window" of time they could protest the results, and I was understood that has come and gone. So is there NOW a possibility they can really ask for this and GET a revote? Why do we set up rules and guidelines, only to have them bent and jumped around MONTHS later. Good Grief, what if we have ANOTHER election, we win again? Can they protest THAT one too? When....Does....The....Door.....Close.....On.....This??????????????????

Somebody with better knowledge of SGA stuff read my post able and answer the question with hard facts please!

I believe that this is an attempt to influence the vote of the State Legislature by implying foul play during the student vote on the stadium issue. Of course it is all based on lies and distortion. Everything was on the up and up. In fact, we received more local TV and radio coverage about the stadium vote then we did for football. You would have to live in a cave on some desolate island not to have been aware of this issue. Brain dead, dumbed down fools, they are.

I also believe that this anti-UNT athletic movement is being fueled by outside sources that fear what UNT can and will become when the new stadium opens.

Go Mean Green! Fight! Fight! Fight!

Edited by meangreenbob

I'm in my 4th year here at UNT and have followed Mean Green sports since I enrolled. I'm so tired of the lame ass students at this school who just complain about everything. You had your chance to vote, if you HONESTLY cared about it, you would have found out and voted against it, PERIOD! I'm not holding my breath but it would be nice to be able to talk about UNT sports like I talk about other schools with big time programs and students who actually give a damn.