Unt Lands Another Wide Receiver, New Coach, Ect

Brett Vito

So...this Fitzgerald is a WR/TE, huh?? So is there a chance in hell that he could play some TE here? Will papa Dodge keep getting his QB's killed with just 5 linemen or will he finally break down and start running something that looks like a real d-1 offense?? I know I am not the only one here that misses the days of Andy Blount, who was a pretty dangerous weapon in DD's offense.

By the way....I haven't been too blown away by this recruiting class so far. I know some here are pretty happy with all the Juco's signing up, but for some reason I have a hard time believing that will work out. I guess 3 wins in two years has beaten the positivity right out of me.

So...this Fitzgerald is a WR/TE, huh?? So is there a chance in hell that he could play some TE here? Will papa Dodge keep getting his QB's killed with just 5 linemen or will he finally break down and start running something that looks like a real d-1 offense?? I know I am not the only one here that misses the days of Andy Blount, who was a pretty dangerous weapon in DD's offense.

Since there were TE plays in the last few games, I think he could play that position at NT.

If North Texas wanted to keep the DD/RF offense, they would still be here.

Maybe a LB. He may have the frame to grow into such a position? Any thoughts?

GMG

I don't think that's the plan, anyway.

Fitzpatrick was recruited by Louisiana-Lafayette and Florida Atlantic, but was sold on UNT by the chance to essentially become the replacement for Brock Stickler, a big physical inside receiver

Hey, I'm glad we'll still have a "Fitz" on our WR corps.

It makes me puke that we never offered Brock Wempa and he winds up at ULM. You can never have too many quality Big Uglies on either side of the ball.

Maybe Dodge doesn't think he was quality?

Guest GrayEagleOne

I understand that not everyone is going to like the makeup of this recruiting class. I suppose that if everyone did then we wouldn't have much to discuss. But I'm okay with most of the picks.

I'd like to have more defensive linemen too, but this was a pretty lean year for all; especially for those in a minor conference with a poor record. If we can keep Atkinson then I think that we will be better than expected. If, by some miracle, Paoli Latu decides to play and casts his lot with us then we come out really smelling like a rose.

It seems a little overloaded at receiver but given the lack of returning quality, I really the number and quality of our commitments. We have five (six with Stradford) and I believe that all will be starters somewhere in their career. Until the last two additions I was afraid that Mayberry could not be redshirted but it's now a possibility. I'm also softening my stance on making Hamilton and/or Cook a receiver.

Jamaal Jackson and Outlaw should be starters this year. From statistics, Carey would seem to be a great runner after the catch. That was lacking for the most part last year except for an occasional long gain by Fitz. The new Fitz (Fitzpatrick) caught 53 LY for 10 TDs as a tight end so he must have pretty good hands. He could be the heir apparent to Stickler's role, indeed. Mayberry is the fastest of the group and might be used this year (but I hope not). The rest of the receivers are as much question marks as the new recruits. I like Brigham's chances, and maybe Barrett, but the rest are a little scary. We need a large group to assure ourselves that there are four to eight quality receivers for this offense.

Edited by GrayEagleOne

I understand that not everyone is going to like the makeup of this recruiting class. I suppose that if everyone did then we wouldn't have much to discuss. But I'm okay with most of the picks.

I'd like to have more defensive linemen too, but this was a pretty lean year for all; especially for those in a minor conference with a poor record. If we can keep Atkinson then I think that we will be better than expected. If, by some miracle, Paoli Latu decides to play and casts his lot with us then we come out really smelling like a rose.

It seems a little overloaded at receiver but given the lack of returning quality, I really the number and quality of our commitments. We have five (six with Standridge) and I believe that all will be starters somewhere in their career. Until the last two additions I was afraid that Mayberry could not be redshirted but it's now a possibility. I'm also softening my stance on making Hamilton and/or Cook a receiver.

Jamaal Jackson and Outlaw should be starters this year. From statistics, Carey would seem to be a great runner after the catch. That was lacking for the most part last year except for an occasional long gain by Fitz. The new Fitz (Fitzpatrick) caught 53 LY for 10 TDs as a tight end so he must have pretty good hands. He could be the heir apparent to Stickler's role, indeed. Mayberry is the fastest of the group and might be used this year (but I hope not). The rest of the receivers are as much question marks as the new recruits. I like Brigham's chances, and maybe Barrett, but the rest are a little scary. We need a large group to assure ourselves that there are four to eight quality receivers for this offense.

True that, based on last year. Hopefully, a couple of guys in the 2008 or 2009 classes will make us forget about Fitzgerald and Stickler.

You do know about Latu's injury, right? I don't see how he would make this class any better since he probably won't play next year:

(from a Vito blog back in early January):

I spoke with Arizona Western College head coach Tom Minnick for a couple of minutes about defensive tackle Pauli Latu.

Latu is still hanging onto offers from Louisville and UNT. The Cardinals picked up a commitment from a second JC defensive tackle this week, but Minnick said as far as he knows UL has not pulled its offer.

UNT and UL are the only two teams that have stuck by Latu after he blew out his knee in the final game of the season. Latu had ACL surgery, but Minnick estimated that he likely won't be able to do much of anything until June. It usually takes a year to recover from a torn ACL, so there is some question as to if Latu could help a team next year any way.