Missouri Drops Home And Home With Smu

...but, SMU finds a replacement with Washington State. Deal is for 2009 there and 2010 in Dallas.

I just hate this about the BCS schools--more so than the exclusionary rules they place on their bowls. If you sign a contract, then honor it. Mizzou should honor their end of the bargain--who cares if SMU sucks now. There was a reason you signed the deal in the first place. As for SMU, they also show A&M playing in Dallas in the future (2012? maybe)--there is no chance that game will ever get played, especially now that A&M will be playing Arky at JerryWorld every year. Sure, the Aggies will play them in CS, then bail. Easy to see this one coming. To make it UNT related, don't be shocked to see K-State bail on coming down here. I guess those guys look at road games against us as too much of a trap.

I've already predicted that K-State will bail on us because Snyder is back and he rarely played out of conference road games in September, if at all. He'll be wanting two homes games versus I-AA/FCS like Montana State and Eastern Washington. They'll sell out those and make more money than we pay them for coming here.

What has to be done by us is making the buyouts prohibitively higher. However, we're in a money squeeze all the time. The problem will always be money. Indiana is getting alot of BCS money for their losing season. We're not.

That's what happens to crappy teams, BCS teams pulls games from underneath them.....No sympathy for Smu, as usual....

Also I was thinkin about the K-State game, I also wouldnt be suprised if Snyder pulls out as well, I always thought the K-state game was setup for the marquee game in our new stadium for 2010, but that wont be happening because of piss poor planning on our school's part.

Yup. Thats why.

CBL,

I am assuming that reply was sarcasm, so I will attempt to defend the answer. When I mean "trap"--Maybe the wrong word, but what I meant to say is the risk of going on the road to play a bad team is a lot less than playing an FCS team at home and getting the huge gate for a home game and a sure win. Not that going to Fouts has ever made anyone feel "trapped", but I think that the BCS team (ala Mizzou or K-State) would say to themselves, "What do we really have to gain here? We can just buy out of this game and get a better game on the schedule for a home and home series or get a very winnable team for a home game." That was what I meant by that.

Jim

...but, SMU finds a replacement with Washington State. Deal is for 2009 there and 2010 in Dallas.

SMut AD said they tried to find a regional opponent to fill 2009 and 2010 but couldn't find one. Did he try Denton? Did we try to find an open week both years for this to happen?? A game that makes money and draws fans even if both programs are 0-fer and there is no agreement for 2009/2010 seasons?? Makes no sense.

SMut AD said they tried to find a regional opponent to fill 2009 and 2010 but couldn't find one. Did he try Denton? Did we try to find an open week both years for this to happen?? A game that makes money and draws fans even if both programs are 0-fer and there is no agreement for 2009/2010 seasons?? Makes no sense.

This came up when we negotiated the 4-year deal (possibly 12) with SMU. 2014 was the earliest year we could start because of prior OOC commitments.

We have Army, Alabama, and Ball State next year, and Army, K-State, and Ball State in 2010. My guess is that we have another OOC game scheduled already for these two years, just hasn't been announced yet.

Hello all.

Missouri and SMU mutually dropped the series a few weeks back, when they decided to continue playing KU in Kansas City. Mizzou's athletic director wanted to continue having the Tigers play 6 home games per year at Faurot Field. In 2010, Mizzou's game vs. KU in Kansas City will be considered a Mizzou home game by the Big XII conference; therefore, Mizzou only had 5 games scheduled for Columbia. Therefore, Mizzou wanted to cancel its trip to Dallas that year, but still wanted the Mustangs to make the trip to Columbia in 2009. SMU refused and the series was dropped.

There were rumors that the possible replacement was going to be North Texas; however, I guess the deal never got done.

I'm not too excited about a trip to Pullman, Washington next year, but I am excited that we got a deal worked out with a beatable (hopefully) BCS team.

By the way, I haven't been on this board since you guys got your new stadium passed; from the looks of the designs, it's going to be a nice place. Congrats!

Does the BCS school EVER honor the return game? Every time I see one of these home and home deals, it requires the smaller school to go to the bigger school first. The bigger school mops the floor of its own stadium with the smaller school, big school alumni cheer, small school takes a check, big school renegs on the return game -- every time. This is not a statement about UNT. It's about all the non-BCS schools that sign these deals and never get the return end of the bargain.

This came up when we negotiated the 4-year deal (possibly 12) with SMU. 2014 was the earliest year we could start because of prior OOC commitments.

We have Army, Alabama, and Ball State next year, and Army, K-State, and Ball State in 2010. My guess is that we have another OOC game scheduled already for these two years, just hasn't been announced yet.

The previous Smut deal was made before Mizzou dropped them and Rice dropped us in the 2009/10 years. I doubt K-State with Snyder will ever play at Fouts. The point is the OOC schedule is in a constant flux, nothing scheduled with a BCS program is solid. A new deal with Smut for earlier games could have been done if the powers wanted it to happen.