Impressive Crowd Today

SUMG

We had a good crowd considering the circumstances, but I guessed we had around 5-6,000.....guess I am not good at guessing crowds.

No, you were much closer to right than the official tally. There is no way on earth that there were almost 10,000 people in that stadium.

It was more than I expected, but 5-6k sounds about right to me.

Edited by TheTastyGreek

They scanned my tickets so are you saying the scanners are not accurate?

I'm saying that having been there, too... If there were 9800 actually inside the confines of Fouts, then there must have been a line of 1,500 men and 1,500 women waiting to use the bathroom at all times.

Alot of people told the CSC people to scan as many tickets as they could and they did. Oh well SMU does it

There were no more than 200 people in the entire student section without the band.... The student turnout was dismal as usual.... The alumni side had over a thousand.....or so........

Attendance was awful. No more thanksgiving week games pleaseeeeee, schedule it as an away game.....

Athetlic Dept doesn't seem to care or understand...

question......does the athletic department set out to schedule a home game on the saturday after thanksgiving or is it something that just happens because of the conference schedule and availability of dates? i'm guessing, it just happens sometimes.

we had the game in 05, 07, and 08...

i checked by to 2002 and those are the only times north texas has played at home on the saturday after thanksgiving.

Sun Belt schedules are squirrely and will be that way as long as we wait for everyone to set their non-conference slate then plug the league games around them, instead of setting a league schedule and telling schools to work around it setting non-conference games.

I can't imagine the members changing that any time soon because we are worth more on the road than at home so those non-conference games are too important and return non-conference games too important as well.

Sun Belt schedules are squirrely and will be that way as long as we wait for everyone to set their non-conference slate then plug the league games around them, instead of setting a league schedule and telling schools to work around it setting non-conference games.

I can't imagine the members changing that any time soon because we are worth more on the road than at home so those non-conference games are too important and return non-conference games too important as well.

According to the NT Media Guide...both schools had an open date on November 15. If true, why the heck wasn't the game played then?

According to the NT Media Guide...both schools had an open date on November 15. If true, why the heck wasn't the game played then?

See this is what gets me about our Athletic Departments thinking here - when your school has historically had trouble filling up a stadium, and had dismal turnouts for this weekend's games in the past, why continue to schedule games on this weekend? At the very least you could run some promo to the town of Denton allowing everyone to come in for free or GA tickets for $1 just to get more people out. Think OUTSIDE of the box or something.

That is a good question, and one I think should have been considered. And would have made more sense, especially since the weather that weekend was MUCH better in terms of temperature. Even the time of the game (1pm) would have been good as it seems all of our games are schedules for a 6pm start time (beats me why this is), but a few early games would be good.

One other question I'd like to ask, because I am dumbfounded by what I saw, is with regards to the merchandise stand within the stadium. If I were a betting man, I would have had bet that many of the fans who attended the game were COLD. So, why not stock the stands selling merchandise/apparel with a huge amount of sweatshirts, hoodies and long sleeve t-shirts for those fans who were unprepared for the weather conditions getting cooler as the game continued. I walked by the stands on the alum side (hoping ot buy a sweatshirt) and they only had PINK sweatshirts left. What!?! PINK!?! This was the perfect opportunity to get some sales for winter items on fans, especially since this might have been considered a possible "Black Saturday" (which might be why the Athletic Dept. decided to schedule this game today as opposed to 11/15). Regardless, my point is that a bit of forethought and preparation on the side of the folks running ht merchandise stands could have been a wind fall on sales of NT apparel for those fans that were cold. I counted at least 20 folks who walked up to the guy selling the merchandise and asked about sweatshirts. He graciously pointed to the PINK sweatshirt he donned and said, "This is all we have left." To which the common reply was, "No green? I can't do PINK." :unsure:

As Arkstate fan pointed out, the conference schedules are set by the conference. Both teams would have to agree to move the game and if I'm Arky State why should I move an important game to a date that gives an advantage to NT.

While it isn't so at NT, for most football schools the weekend after Thanksgiving is the BIGEST weekend for football. The fans have travel days both before and after the game. I frequently read here that we should act more like a big time program but if we schedule like one now our fans get upset.

Alot of people told the CSC people to scan as many tickets as they could and they did. Oh well SMU does it

Ah, the CSC people, god love em. I shit you not this happened and SUMG can back me up on it. I went up at halftime to visit up near where SUMG and several others sit, and down on the ground, underneith a bleacher was an old, dried up tortilla. Someone <_< handed it to me and said earlier someone brought a bunch of tortilla's and the tortilla's all got confiscated, and that this was the last one we figured. So I flung it and the wind caught it and took it way out, it hung there for a few seconds and dropped to the ground. The CSC security guard that stands outside the AD's box, saw it and called his supervisor who came right to me and asked if I had any more and I told him where I got it and that it was the only one left. 5 minutes later I head back down to my seat and stopped along the way to visit with a few others and here comes Denton County Sherriff's department who asked me to step down inside the tunnel. So we do just that and then here comes NT PD right behind them. The Sherriff deputy, in a humerous mood thank goodness, tells me we don't throw tortilla's in the stadium and asked if I had any more. I told him exactly what happened and that I certainly wouldn't do it anymore. Someone <_< was also there to back me up and said it wasn't mine, that I just threw it and didn't bring it in and with that the NT PD started laughing and said something to the fact of "Hey, don't shoot the messenger here, but we gotta ask". Then he and the Sherriff and I discussed the football program for the next several minutes. Later on one of our AD staff members came by and said they all saw me throw it also and noticed how long it flew etc... So I guess I didn't do it too discretely, LOL!. Pretty funny thinking back on it.

But what a shame to see the end of such a great tradition that represented such a great football team and their accomplishment?

Bad Rick.

Edited by FirefightnRick