Racist Longhorn

dallasite21

Anyone hear the story of the Longhorn Center who was dismissed from the team today for making racist comments about Obama? I dont agree with his racist remarks, however I think Dodge needs to be on the phone. Thats 6'3'' and 290 lbs of angry racist beef we could use. I know it would be contreversial, but lets face it, there are probably some people on our team that feel the same way now that just aren't not dumb enough to say anything. There are also people who steal, cheat, do drugs and many other sorry things on the team too. Everyone deserves a second chance right?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone hear the story of the Longhorn Center who was dismissed from the team today for making racist comments about Obama? I dont agree with his racist remarks, however I think Dodge needs to be on the phone. Thats 6'3'' and 290 lbs of angry racist beef we could use. I know it would be contreversial, but lets face it, there are probably some people on our team that feel the same way now that just aren't not dumb enough to say anything. There are also people who steal, cheat, do drugs and many other sorry things on the team too. Everyone deserves a second chance right?

I sincerely hope you are kidding. I don't care if this guy is good, think of what it could do to team unity, let alone fan support.

Uh, no.

I'd take a pot head 10 times out of 10 over an ignorant, closed minded, racist, POS.

I would accept a kid who has apologized and is ready to accept his consequences. It sounded to me that he was not trying to spin his actions but that he was ready to be accountable. Many of us (including our politicos) should be this humble. I would be excited if Dodge were to pay this kid a visit. Be careful to throw stones to make yourself look politically correct on this. Blind faith is a scary thing.

I would accept a kid who has apologized and is ready to accept his consequences. It sounded to me that he was not trying to spin his actions but that he was ready to be accountable. Many of us (including our politicos) should be this humble. I would be excited if Dodge were to pay this kid a visit. Be careful to throw stones to make yourself look politically correct on this. Blind faith is a scary thing.

Honestly, I think his post showed what kind of person he is. I could honestly care less if he said racist things, that's his right to be an uneducated fool. I still wouldn't want him on my team. What I take most exception with is the get your guns portion of his statement. To me that implies that he would like to see someone do physical harm to the President, which is completely unacceptable to me.

Tell me how apologizing somehow cleans the slate. He was basically saying "I'm sorry I'm a racist."

Hey, what he said was stupid, yes, but he is a freakin kid. Hell, people are given second chances all the time. How many chances has Packman Jones been given? What about Ron Artest? Bill Clinton? Im not saying I want him on the team or not. He made a mistake and he has paid for it. He may still pay for it in different ways. He deserves another chance to grow up, regardless of where it is.

Regardless of what else I might think of Dodge, I do think he's lived up to his statement that he would deal with such things on a case-by-case basis, other than the recent drug testing, which most of us agree with in principle. However, anyone who has followed North Texas football for the period following the admission of Black athletes during the Odus Mitchell era can see that we've thrived when we've been ahead of the curve on racial progress, and suffered when racist attitudes were expressed in recent years (during the campus visit of prospective recruits including Andrew Smith).

I've been in public service for most of the time since I was drafted into the Army in 1973, and I can assure anyone reading that there is no more certain career ender in the public sector (which includes UNT) than credible accusations of racism, unless it's the expressed support of unprovoked violence.

I don't know has anything to do with UNT other than occasionally trolling this board to make trouble, but if anyone here responds to such outrageous ideas, it should only be to express righteous outrage.

Regardless of what else I might think of Dodge, I do think he's lived up to his statement that he would deal with such things on a case-by-case basis, other than the recent drug testing, which most of us agree with in principle. However, anyone who has followed North Texas football for the period following the admission of Black athletes during the Odus Mitchell era can see that we've thrived when we've been ahead of the curve on racial progress, and suffered when racist attitudes were expressed in recent years (during the campus visit of prospective recruits including Andrew Smith).

I've been in public service for most of the time since I was drafted into the Army in 1973, and I can assure anyone reading that there is no more certain career ender in the public sector (which includes UNT) than credible accusations of racism, unless it's the expressed support of unprovoked violence.

I don't know has anything to do with UNT other than occasionally trolling this board to make trouble, but if anyone here responds to such outrageous ideas, it should only be to express righteous outrage.

Very well written.

We may disagree with what he said but America, the last I heard, has "Freedom of Speech." Heck, we all heard worse from both parties calling each other names.

Our forefathers did not intend for "Freedom of Speech" to be used in an irresponsible manner as this young man did. Freedom of Speech was meant to be used for your disagreement with the government, so you could have a voice. And I never heard McCain call Obama anything like was mentioned by this guy.

We may disagree with what he said but America, the last I heard, has "Freedom of Speech." Heck, we all heard worse from both parties calling each other names.

Nobody denied him his first amendment rights, from anything that I read, whether any of it was actually speech, or electronic communication. He communicated; otherwise nobody would have known anything. Nobody denied Mack Brown the right to act in what he considered the best interests of the University of Texas by removing him from the team. I don't see anything in the link provided by another poster as to whether he lost his scholarship for this semester or not. Nor was there mention of criminal charges against the young man. I'm sure that any athletic department of any university can find something in the language of a signing document that would cover removing someone from a program in the best interests of the school, just as a military man can be disciplined "for the good of the service".

I feel that my rights of free speech would include the right to go to my place of employment and saying something racist, obscene, or threatening. I feel my employer's free speech rights (and yes, I have civil service protections) would include the right to say "you're fired". If this were happening at an institution of higher learning at this time, and I were a university official who was aware of such speech and did not take action to protect other staff and students at the school, I feel that the free speech rights of those staff and students would include asking the university administration and/or board of regents to relieve me of my duties.

If one feels that their rights have been violated, one has the right to have their lawyer get in touch with the lawyer of whoever done 'em wrong. As the old Don Henley song says, "lawyers handle small details".

If you think you have the right to say what you want, anywhere, any time, and suffer no consequences, try it the next time you're at the airport. If anybody thinks such speech or writing will be ignored by university officials anywhere, I just have two words for them: "Virginia Tech".

Edited by eulessismore