Why Support Vito?

eppy4life

I just don't understand why so many on this board are butt buddies with Vito. He's a journalist; who cares? Why would you chose to support a journalist over a head coach? Why can no one respect Dodge for cleaning up this mess and trusting that while it may take a couple years to flush the crap down the toilet, when it's out the bathroom will start smelling better? Instead some turn on our coach and back a sports writer. I just don't get it.

• Upvote 1

I just don't understand why so many on this board are butt buddies with Vito. He's a journalist; who cares? Why would you chose to support a journalist over a head coach? Why can no one respect Dodge for cleaning up this mess and trusting that while it may take a couple years to flush the crap down the toilet, when it's out the bathroom will start smelling better? Instead some turn on our coach and back a sports writer. I just don't get it.

I have respect for both Coach Dodge for the decision he made and Brett Vito for just doing his job.

It's not about being "butt buddies" with anyone (I don't know either one personally, though I have had a single brief conversation with Vito). It's not about "turning on our coach". It is about appreciating the fact that someone did his duty as a journalist and reported what needed to be reported in the face of losing even more access to NT Athletics.

I know this may be a little lost on the Fox News/MSNBC crowd...but, I support freedom of the press and freedom of speech over any football coach.

Edited by JayDub

Back a sports writer? Vito doesn't need any backing. He's doing his job. Some don't want to hear bad news, but a good journalist doesn't care if you want to hear bad news or good news. This was news, and he reported it.

And don't throw up this "support Dodge" bullshit. He's 2-18, his team is losing by 33 points a game, his team is giving up 50 points a game, he's got the worst team in Division I-A, and yet the students approved paying for a new stadium and 18,000 people attended the game last week. That IS support.

Back a sports writer? Vito doesn't need any backing. He's doing his job. Some don't want to hear bad news, but a good journalist doesn't care if you want to hear bad news or good news. This was news, and he reported it.

And don't throw up this "support Dodge" bullshit. He's 2-18, his team is losing by 33 points a game, his team is giving up 50 points a game, he's got the worst team in Division I-A, and yet the students approved paying for a new stadium and 18,000 people attended the game last week. That IS support.

good post.

good post.

Much like the Dodge/Dickey comparisons, making a negative statement about Dodge or a positive statement about Dickey does not mean you are slighting the other. I don't think many on the board would take a bullet - or a chubby - from Vito, but I've been wrong before.

I have respect for both Coach Dodge for the decision he made and Brett Vito for just doing his job.

It's not about being "butt buddies" with anyone (I don't know either one personally, though I have had a single brief conversation with Vito). It's not about "turning on our coach". It is about appreciating the fact that someone did his duty as a journalist and reported what needed to be reported in the face of losing even more access to NT Athletics.

I know this may be a little lost on the Fox News/MSNBC crowd...but, I support freedom of the press and freedom of speech over any football coach.

Good Post!

I'm not talking about the drug story. I understand that this needed to be reported. I'm talking about the attitude most people have on this board.

Everyone acts like they could make better decisions than our athletic director and head coach. The fact is you are not an AD, have never been an AD, and will never be an AD. The fact is you are not a head coach, have never been a head coach, and will never be a head coach. So, how do you know what this team and program needs to do?

Yes, we're taking our licks right now. But less than two years ago everyone was excited about Dodge and where he was going to take our program. Now, because we have undiciplined and untalented upperclassmen and are experiencing growing pains we stop supporting our leaders?

I'm just as frustrated by this season but can we wait for Dodge's first class to graduate before we evaluate the job he's done with our program?

• Upvote 1

I'm not talking about the drug story. I understand that this needed to be reported. I'm talking about the attitude most people have on this board.

Everyone acts like they could make better decisions than our athletic director and head coach. The fact is you are not an AD, have never been an AD, and will never be an AD. The fact is you are not a head coach, have never been a head coach, and will never be a head coach. So, how do you know what this team and program needs to do?

Yes, we're taking our licks right now. But less than two years ago everyone was excited about Dodge and where he was going to take our program. Now, because we have undiciplined and untalented upperclassmen and are experiencing growing pains we stop supporting our leaders?

I'm just as frustrated by this season but can we wait for Dodge's first class to graduate before we evaluate the job he's done with our program?

EVERYBODY PANIC!!!!!!!!!!!

First off, eppy, you might want to work on your reading comprehension. The attitude of most people on this board is something along the lines to "KILL VITO!". Very few are defending the guy.

Secondly, this explanation of your original post doesn't even touch on your original point of "Oh, God! Why are people siding with the sportswriter!".

Airtight reasoning. Post of the millennium.

Really need to keep being careful on blaming this on the upperclassmen though.

Agreed 100000%

Do you have evidence that it's upper classmen? If you do, go the mods with it before you post it. Otherwise, zip it.

And again, who is not supporting UNT? What, no one can express an opposing opinion? Would you prefer lip service over people attending games? We were there last week and the game before that and the game before that, and that's the only support that really matters.

It is good some of us are using some reason.

Too many people on this board pretend to know more about football than coach Dodge. I'd like to see the playbook for the last GMG game or whatever you guys call that stupid flag football game yall play. I'm sure Dodge could use your advice.

I don't play in the GMG bowl, but if you guys promise to run 40 passes to the flat a game, I am so coming out to watch. I just like the excitement of a passing offense and feeling like someone is playing to win.

Too many people on this board pretend to know more about football than coach Dodge. I'd like to see the playbook for the last GMG game or whatever you guys call that stupid flag football game yall play. I'm sure Dodge could use your advice.

If you are wanting to believe everything Todd Dodge does and says then so be it. You are more than welcome too. There is nothing wrong with questioning things in this world!! I do not know hardcore X's & O's like Dodge but I have an idea of how this game is played. If he is so great at a playbook and an offensive whiz then what can you say about the offensive performance this year? How about the 2-18 record with every single game this year has been a total rout? How can you possibly defend that? Again I don't know X's & O's but I know crappy football and crappy coaching and Todd Dodge & North Texas currently belongs in that group. I won't be a Todd Dodge under his desk blowhard like you.

Do you have evidence that it's upper classmen? If you do, go the mods with it before you post it. Otherwise, zip it.

And again, who is not supporting UNT? What, no one can express an opposing opinion? Would you prefer lip service over people attending games? We were there last week and the game before that and the game before that, and that's the only support that really matters.

***************************************************************************************************************************

Constantly calling for firing our head coach HURTS and handicaps our recruiting efforts (which further handicaps our ability to attract quality football prospects...why go to a school where the coach won't be there when they come here or while they are here)

I am as frustrated by our record as any of you are...BUT I am not undermining our present football coach. I see positives...attendance and those who have been attending games...is great....the fact our fans will pay paying contributions above and beyond the cost of season tickets (3 sections on the pressbox side full...........) is great the fact our students have been turning out is great. The fact our students approved the athletic fee is GREAT I see individual players achieving every game..think Niwgee (sp?) and others . I see field goals from further away than 25 yards out , I see the addition DeLoach is starting to work....but won't be successful until we develop interior linemen who can disrupt the opponents QB behind the line of scrimmage (take a look at the recruiting board and the number of 3 * JC DT's we have offerred and other quality products). I see improvement in our offense but it will take larger and stronger OL to prevent QB hurries and sacks and to move DL back and create lanes for our runners in order to be successful. I can go on and on.

While the recent drug testing is a problem. I see it as a PLUS. It MIGHT have been part of our the reason for our current record (more important it may save a young mans life) (I don't care if is is "old" players or "current players" they are OUR players.

Yes our members have the right to express our opinion as I am doing here....but it has gone beyond expressing opinion to stepping over the line...3 posted threads have been removed this week....WE DON'T LINK PLAYERS NAMES WITH FAILED DRUG TESTS it could lead to a lawsuit against the poster and gmg for doing this. Opinions can be expressed without becoming ugly and nasty, and hateful, and expressing disrespectfull in regard to our head coach.

I'm sorry I have vented MY OPINION and that is so long...(I know how we all miss Plummer) all I want to do is promote UNT and UNT sports as I believe the greatest majority on this board feel the same way. Again, you have the same right as I do to express your opinion....but lets clean do it in a clean and respectful way without hurting our school and its athletic program. OldTimer

Because he's telling us the truth. With Todd Dodge, all you get is smoke and b.s.: "The game turned on just a few plays, etc." after we get blown out game after game. No, coach, the game turned on a few plays when you lose by three or six or seven and such. When you lose by 30+ game after game - even to Sun Belt teams - it simply mean you don't know what you're doing. Just admit it.

The REAL SCRAPPY approves this message.

Exactly!!!!