Rice Game

eppy4life

I just called my hotel (Wednesday morning 10:00am). I've got reservations at a hotel in Houston's Museum District near Rice. They answered as if they've answered the question for the millioneth time. ""We have full lights and power." "So everythings good ?" I said. "We have full lights and power. Yes sir."

Game on.

Owl...The other white meat.

GO MEAN GREEN

Today's Ft. Worth Star-Telegram had a story about the Houston Texans next home game. It said that the game might be played in Reliant Stadium with the top open or in Rice Stadium. That would indicate to me that the stadium there should be okay for next Saturday.

The DMN had a similar blurb about the Texans perhaps using Rice Stadium for their next home game.

Our hotel has reopened also, but I am a little worried about the availability of gas. We are vacationing next week and will be driving to Gruene, to Corpus and then to Houston on Friday and I keep seeing reports about long lines for gas in southeast Texas, i.e. Houston.

GMG!

Edited by NTEdgex2

My wife's company's corporate office is in downtown Houston and they are still without power. So Joe et al got in places that are back up and running, but here's to hoping everybody else's lodgings are in place by gameday as well.

H-Town is slowly getting back to normal. Power is a major issue as half the residents are still without power including me. It could be sometime next week before mine is turned back on. I haven't looked into it, but according to the statements on this thread, the game will most likely still be played. Which is good because I want to tailgate and watch some Mean Green without traveling for once!

Things you need to worry about.

1. Gas. It is a tough commodity right now. Most places have it now, but they limit the amount you get. In some cases as low as $40 at a time. By next week, this might not be an issue. I've seen lines that were over a couple hours wait.

2. Food. Most places are closing between 6 and 8:00 p.m. They are just now getting cold foods back into play.

3. Curfew. Not too big of a deal, not really enforcing it. Midnight to 6 a.m. in the city.

I am in the NW area of the county. So, things here could be different than other places. A lot of people are still having to go to the PODs (Points of Distribution) for ice, water, MREs. So, the demand is higher than the supply.

The game is another week away. Most companies have restricted travel to Houston because of this issue. But a lot changes in a week.

All of the roads are passable and people are starting to go back to work. Mostly dealing with incoveniences. I hunt and spend a lot of time at the deer lease/camping with no power and limited supplies. So, I am not that affected. I also have the fire dept with full power and food for its members.

Galveston/Bolivar Penisula is a whole different story. The further south you go, these issues become more and more prevelant.

UNTLifer is in the same boat. He lives about 3 blocks from me in the same neighborhood.

West Galveston Island and Bolivar Peninsula are just about gone. You've probably seen the video on TV. It is also estimated that 25% or more of the population stayed! This is not confirmed and may just be a rumor, but alot of people stayed on the island and that was most likely a mistake for most of them. The National Weather Service issued a non-precedented warning to those residents, "Evacuate immediately or face certain death." The storm surge was typical of a category 4 or 5 hurricane. We can not even send emergency crews to help with any type of search and rescue. You have to have a letter from the mayor to even get on the island. They have been keeping the media out or atleast trying. My prayers are with those people of that region, regardless of their status.

In case someone didn't receive it, here's an e-mail sent out by the NT Alumni on Wednesday:

On behalf of the alumni association at the University of North Texas our thoughts are with those who have recently experienced the devastation brought by Hurricane Ike.

Due to unforeseen circumstances related to the hurricane, the alumni association will be canceling the wine and cheese reception before the musical performance by Gustavo Romero on September 26th. Currently, Rice University is still planning to hold the musical performance, however, please continue to monitor the Rice University website (http://events.rice.edu) for further details.

The alumni association will still attend the scheduled events on Saturday, September 27th and we encourage everyone to join us at Rice Stadium to cheer on the Mean Green!

If you have any questions regarding the alumni events in Houston on September 26-27, please contact the alumni association at alumni@unt.edu or 940-565-2834.

The Rice Athletic site mentions it's game with UT is nationally televised tomorrow nite at 6pm. It also mentions the NT game the following week at 4pm:

.............................................................................................................................................................................................................

After a week of preparations held while the City of Houston recovers from Hurricane Ike, the Rice Owls will meet the seventh-ranked Texas Longhorns at 6:00 p.m. Saturday night in Austin.

After being knocked off the air last week because of the storm, this week's game will be broadcast live on ESPN Radio 97.5 FM "The Ticket" as well as on this web site through All Access. The game will be televised nationally by Fox Sports Net with Bill Land and Gary Reasons in the booth and Emily Jones on the sidelines. In the Houston area, the game will be live on Comcast channel 76, Director TV channel 676 or Dish Network channel 416. FSN Houston will carry a tape-delayed broadcast at midnight after the conclusion of the Houston Astros game with the Pittsburgh Pirates. Owl fans outside the Houston area should check their local listings for the Fox Sports offering in their area.

The Owls are coming off a hard-fought 38-21 loss at Vanderbilt, while Longhorns (2-0) were off last week after their game with Arkansas was postponed because of Hurricane Ike.

The Owls were held over in Nashville until Monday afternoon while initial recovery efforts were underway in Houston. They returned to the practice field at Rice Stadium on Tuesday.

This will be the 91st meeting in the series that dates back to 1914. Texas leads the all-time series 68-21-1, and has won the last nine meetings between the two. Rice's last win in the series was a 19-17 win at Rice Stadium in 1994. The Owls last win in Austin came in 1965, when they took a 20-17 decision.

Rice will return home for the first time since the home opener against SMU when they host North Texas next Saturday at Rice Stadium. Kickoff is set for 4:00 p.m.

Here's a press release from the main Rice site:

Rice gets back to business

"There was damage to the R Room at Rice Stadium, according to Athletics Director Chris Del Conte, but he said other athletic facilities came through the storm fine. "Rice Stadium has been standing since 1951, and it's not going anywhere," said Del Conte..."

I'm guessing that "The R Room" is the equivalent of the Mean Green Club Deck at Fouts.

we do business with several hotels in Houston and Galveston. Most of our Houston sites are back up and running, but are VERY full. If you don't have a reservation, good luck.

...our Galveston sites... that's another story. Even the San Luis is in pretty bad shape.

I hear the Galveston area is really bad.

Oh Dear Lord, no wine and cheese? :o

Someone call the high life guy, maybe we can help us out now.

Those are some funny commericals.