This Explains Everyone's Complaints With All The Running.

Green P1

He should have been fired in 01 along with a lot of other dead weight.

ok troll you do realize Craig Helwig was fired in late 2000 and Alan Ward was the Interim AD for most of the Spring until RV was hired. Also Trilli was fired by Ward prior to RV arriving. Gene Stallings came in and did an analysis of the facilities (do not get me started on his questions regarding the old tennis courts :angry: ). RV was hired and yes he probably should have fired DD that fall and it seems to be well known if not for the miraculous run by the Team in Conference DD would have been gone.

Please do not let facts get in the way of your anger and resentment towards RV. Has he done everything perfect, no way, but he has significantly upgraded facilities outside of football even without keeping the masses well informed of the comings and goings of the department.

Go find somewhere else to spew your crap.

Edited by untbowler

ok troll you do realize Craig Helwig was fired in late 2000 and Alan Ward was the Interim AD for most of the Spring until RV was hired. Also Trilli was fired by Ward prior to RV arriving. Gene Stallings came in and did an analysis of the facilities (do not get me started on his questions regarding the old tennis courts :angry: ). RV was hired and yes he probably should have fired DD that fall and it seems to be well known if not for the miraculous run by the Team in Conference DD would have been gone.

Please do not let facts get in the way of your anger and resentment towards RV. Has he done everything perfect, no way, but he has significantly upgraded facilities outside of football even without keeping the masses well informed of the comings and goings of the department.

Go find somewhere else to spew your crap.

We have seen more positive changes under RV and ALL other ADs combined as far as I am concerned. I have been on the UNT football watch since the Fry days and we now have some facilities and will get a new stadium. Those who have not been around that long just don't know how bad it has been in years past.

While I am not happy with the KSU game, or the football program at this time, I do believe there will be many positive changes in the next 2-3 years...wins or coaching changes, facilities...like a new stadium...good home schedules, better fan support, etc.....give RV his credit...at UNT this is surely a hard job.

Dude, step away from the keyboard. Taking quotes from a newspaper article/blog and dissecting them to this degree is overkill.

There is a difference between approaching a game with a "can't win" attitude (see Dickey's comments before his last game against UT about Bataille making sure to remember how much money we were making for playing them) and changing your plan to shorten the game once you've dug a huge hole for yourselves. I don't think you can read the quote from the paper and deduce EXACTLY when he went conservative, but when we got the ball at our own 11 to start our 4th possession I think it's a possibility that he didn't have the possession count exactly straight in his own head at the time he gave the interview.

If you watched/listened to that game in it's entirety, then you KNOW that we started out about as badly as we possibly could have. There is no shame in trying to lessen the beating once it's obvious that our gameplan wasn't working. Wish we had done that at OU last year. Maybe we wouldn't have blown the defense's confidence to hell straight out of the gate and set the ball rolling the rest of the season. Dodge also said he didn't want a repeat of last year---in reference to losing the defense so early. Trying to wring a DD comparison out of this scenario reeks of someone just trying to stir up trouble.

Just my .02 cents....

Dude, step away from the keyboard. Taking quotes from a newspaper article/blog and dissecting them to this degree is overkill.

There is a difference between approaching a game with a "can't win" attitude (see Dickey's comments before his last game against UT about Bataille making sure to remember how much money we were making for playing them) and changing your plan to shorten the game once you've dug a huge hole for yourselves. I don't think you can read the quote from the paper and deduce EXACTLY when he went conservative, but when we got the ball at our own 11 to start our 4th possession I think it's a possibility that he didn't have the possession count exactly straight in his own head at the time he gave the interview.

If you watched/listened to that game in it's entirety, then you KNOW that we started out about as badly as we possibly could have. There is no shame in trying to lessen the beating once it's obvious that our gameplan wasn't working. Wish we had done that at OU last year. Maybe we wouldn't have blown the defense's confidence to hell straight out of the gate and set the ball rolling the rest of the season. Dodge also said he didn't want a repeat of last year---in reference to losing the defense so early. Trying to wring a DD comparison out of this scenario reeks of someone just trying to stir up trouble.

Just my .02 cents....

Yeah - you jackass!

We have seen more positive changes under RV and ALL other ADs combined as far as I am concerned. I have been on the UNT football watch since the Fry days and we now have some facilities and will get a new stadium. Those who have not been around that long just don't know how bad it has been in years past.

I was a student in the last year under Helwig, and the year both Pohl and RV came in. There was a palpable difference between Helwig and RV in just the first fall semester. And that was before I started showing up at FB and BB games.

Guest Aquila_Viridis

Everybody needs to go find a hobby they can actually enjoy.

That's a poignant comment. I haven't gotten any enjoyment out of college football in a long time. I think a frank assessment would be that there doesn't appear to be any coming anytime soon. This better be a respectable effort Saturday. Last season was a fiasco. Then they come out, after all this time, so unprepared that they are done a few minutes in?

I cannot believe North Texas fans actually believe Coach Dodge

and his staff were just playing it safe, being conservative, and

not trying to win this game.

Were the none believers on the side line seeing what was going

on, or listening to what the coaches were trying to accomplish?

Come on! The K-State defense had alot to do with how the NT

offense was working. There were several NT drives that stalled

out due to dropped passes, missed passes, and WR's being open

but not seen by Vizza, so the pass game was out of synch. K-S

was blitzing every play, against our young but learning OL. The

NT run game took advantage of the blitzing, and came close to

breaking some big runs. Having terrible field position all day

long did not help matters either, against a good defense. The

K-S offensive coaches went after our weak points, the DL and

our true freshmen CB's. I though Hill, Williams, and Shorter

played very good in their first college game.

This team is mainly sophmores, red-shirt freshmen, and true

freshmen, that are learning and will win, under the teaching

and guidence of Coach Dodge and his staff. Was Coach Dodge

holding back in this game, no, not at all. The whole staff was

teaching this team on how to play the game against a good

Big 12 team, and what it takes to win.

I cannot believe North Texas fans actually believe Coach Dodge

and his staff were just playing it safe, being conservative, and

not trying to win this game.

Were the none believers on the side line seeing what was going

on, or listening to what the coaches were trying to accomplish?

Come on! The K-State defense had alot to do with how the NT

offense was working. There were several NT drives that stalled

out due to dropped passes, missed passes, and WR's being open

but not seen by Vizza, so the pass game was out of synch. K-S

was blitzing every play, against our young but learning OL. The

NT run game took advantage of the blitzing, and came close to

breaking some big runs. Having terrible field position all day

long did not help matters either, against a good defense. The

K-S offensive coaches went after our weak points, the DL and

our true freshmen CB's. I though Hill, Williams, and Shorter

played very good in their first college game.

This team is mainly sophmores, red-shirt freshmen, and true

freshmen, that are learning and will win, under the teaching

and guidence of Coach Dodge and his staff. Was Coach Dodge

holding back in this game, no, not at all. The whole staff was

teaching this team on how to play the game against a good

Big 12 team, and what it takes to win.

Charlie

Did you see Dodge's quote and Tasty's subsequent analysis?

He was holding back. Now just because the ends justified the means, meaning we lost regardless doesn't make it right

I like the OU game last year better than the K-State one this year

OU...KSU...what's the difference? The bottom line is that in both cases Todd Dodge was in over his head from the coin flip. This year, he simply admitted it to himself and didn't put his team in a position to lose by 60 like he did last year in Norman. So, he's grown a little as a coach.

To me, Tulsa is the test. Their defense is awful, especially on the road. I expect TU to have plenty of offensive success against our youthful defense because they carved up an experienced UAB secondary on the road last weekend.

But...

...if their crappy defense shuts down our offense...well...then any question about Todd Dodge will be legitimate from here on out for the rest of the season. If we're not competitive offensively in this game, call Houston because, brothers and sisters, that will be a problem.

Your disdain for the Dodge hire is amazing.

Why wouldn't the offense work? It has worked against Navy, SMU and the Sun Belt schools with primarily sophmores, freshmen and redshirt freshmen.

Not to fire this up again, but we averaged exactly 23 PPG in the Belt last year and we scored more than 28 twice.

There is still a lot of work to be done and TFFL is right that this weekend is a great chance to see where this thing is at. No matter what you think of his opinions, he's got a pretty good football mind and never called out Dodge the way some of the evil-meanie posters have.

I still trust in Dodge all the way, but Lonnie's point is valid. We ought to have success against Tulsa's defense. We had offensive success against comparable defenses last year, and failure to do so here would mark a step back, not forward. Most of us are willing to grant Dodge a good amount of leeway these first 2-3 years, but we want to see improvement each season and through the course of the season. A failure to do so will justifiably raise some doubts.

But I think our offense will do just fine tomorrow.

Just go back and look at Tulsa's record on the road last year - their defense was awful. And, right out of the barrell, they were awful against a UAB that had a converted WR starting his first game at QB! Certainly Vizza is better than what UAB threw up against Tulsa, right?

The converted WR rung Tulsa up for over 150 through the air and over 130 on the ground all by himself! We're more than a one-man show, supposedly. Folks, if we can't hang up 500+ yards, at home, against Tulsa's defense, outside of FUI, there are probably few teams we can do it against even in the Belt this year.

Tulsa has a bad defense. That's just the fact. It's like Texas Tech Lite up there - throw it around and hope the clock runs out while your ahead.

Just go back and look at Tulsa's record on the road last year - their defense was awful. And, right out of the barrell, they were awful against a UAB that had a converted WR starting his first game at QB! Certainly Vizza is better than what UAB threw up against Tulsa, right?

The converted WR rung Tulsa up for over 150 through the air and over 130 on the ground all by himself! We're more than a one-man show, supposedly. Folks, if we can't hang up 500+ yards, at home, against Tulsa's defense, outside of FUI, there are probably few teams we can do it against even in the Belt this year.

Tulsa has a bad defense. That's just the fact. It's like Texas Tech Lite up there - throw it around and hope the clock runs out while your ahead.

I am quite certain that I am in the minority here only from ready how people respond to your posts, but once again, you are stating truth.