Chase Wasson

Will to Win

Guest 97and03

Chase Wasson will begin his graduate work with the Mean Green after four season of playing Division-1 football with the Texas State Bobcats and the Oklahoma Sooners.

Son of Southlake Carroll head coach Hal Wasson, Wasson played under Dodge on a 2002 state champion squad that went 16-0 and was named the Class 5A Player of the Year while passing for 4,822 yards and 54 touchdowns in his high school career.

2006, he was the projected starting quarterback at Texas Tech after playing in all 14 games as a sophmore and amassing 993 yards and 22 touchdowns as the No. 2 quaterback for the Bobcats but decided to transfer to Oklahoma and finish his playing career with the Sooners.

Editing is a beautiful thing...

I remember reading about Chase filling in for an injured Barrick Nealy and nearly escaping Waco with a win back in '04. He hit Ex NT wr K.R. Carpenter on a 74 yard strike to get them back into that game. I would have loved to have seen it. He's a great addition to this staff.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/recap?gameId=242550239

Freshman Chase Wasson led a late rally for Texas State (1-1) with a 74-yard touchdown pass to K.R. Carpenter. He also engineered a 73-yard drive ending with 7-yard scoring run by Douglass Sherman.

"I'm proud of Chase coming in here as a redshirt freshman," Bailiff said. "There are no moral victories. We came out here expecting to win, that's what we wanted and we're disappointed."

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

Naturally with his and his family's ties to the Dodge family, Chase will be "pro" Riley. Vizza could be the odd man out OR he'll play pissed off and work his ass off to HIS teamates and have the team rally around him.

Should be interesting. The Vizza kid just might bite Riley's head off. He seems to be that type of player.

Naturally with his and his family's ties to the Dodge family, Chase will be "pro" Riley. Vizza could be the odd man out OR he'll play pissed off and work his ass off to HIS teamates and have the team rally around him.

Should be interesting. The Vizza kid just might bite Riley's head off. He seems to be that type of player.

That's jumping the gun a little, dont you think? Unless you are very close to Chase, I'm not sure how you could know that? Why couldnt Chase be supportive of both guys and just back whoever is in the saddle? Not that it really matters that much, he's a "Grad-assistant"... not a position coach? I think Riley and Vizza will co-exist just fine, and Chase Wasson will find his place supporting EVERYONE on this team. If he could not do that, Todd Dodge would not have brought him here. TD has been preaching "one team on one journey" since the day he got here.

I think I'll trust in that...

GMG!!!

Strong statement + conditional followed by obvious point.

Just one of many popular off season formulas for 2008!

That was a pretty cynical thing to say.

That's jumping the gun a little, dont you think? Unless you are very close to Chase, I'm not sure how you could know that? Why couldnt Chase be supportive of both guys and just back whoever is in the saddle? Not that it really matters that much, he's a "Grad-assistant"... not a position coach? I think Riley and Vizza will co-exist just fine, and Chase Wasson will find his place supporting EVERYONE on this team. If he could not do that, Todd Dodge would not have brought him here. TD has been preaching "one team on one journey" since the day he got here.

GMG!!!

I'll second that--couldn't have said it better.

I really do wonder what type of people you've grown up with.

I am just stating obvious facts of long family friendships and how people care about one another. Why is that cynical?

When a kid was your ball boy (when you grew up) who idolized you, wouldn't you want him to do well? And it's only natural that Chase would want Riley to exceed and overcome all the QB's who play the position.

Cynical, I don't so, TD hand picked his dad and now hand picks another Carroll kid to G.A.

I'll put it to you this way, Meager, Vizza, Tune and future QB's are all aware of this connection but the real connection is "that blood is thicker than water."

Call me whatever you want, that's cool, just not cynical, NOT on this deal.

And hey, I like the Dodge kid but I still call it like I see it. It makes good spring football discussion and it's worth about what I wipe my butt with.

Cynical, I don't so, TD hand picked his dad and now hand picks another Carroll kid to G.A.

There is some interesting inside information. I didn't know that TD's father was joining the program as well. This really is becoming a family affair. Is he going to try out for QB as well? Does his dad have the legs at his age to beat out Vizza and Riley? This creates a whole new controversy and I don't know if we can handle it.

I am just stating obvious facts of long family friendships and how people care about one another. Why is that cynical?

When a kid was your ball boy (when you grew up) who idolized you, wouldn't you want him to do well? And it's only natural that Chase would want Riley to exceed and overcome all the QB's who play the position.

I'll put it to you this way, Meager, Vizza, Tune and future QB's are all aware of this connection but the real connection is "that blood is thicker than water."

And hey, I like the Dodge kid but I still call it like I see it. It makes good spring football discussion and it's worth about what I wipe my butt with.

That's a completely different tone. It's one thing to want to see a friend do well. It's another to see to it that others aren't given a fair shot at success.

It's clear that Dodge wants people that are familiar with his system to be here to architect it. But I don't believe he's going to sit down a kid who can execute things better than anyone else at their respective position.

I'm glad Vizza doesn't think like this. Coach Dodge won't start Riley just because he's his son. The best man for the job will start at QB.

Did some of you folks not see Vizza play last season? This kid is G-O-O-D and will only get better. I am still with the "camp" who think Riley might redshirt....if not, I am not too sure he would be able to "beat" Riley out for the starting job. Coach Dodge is not only a great coach, he is a man of character. He will start the best QB for the team and for its best chance of winning. The guy's job is to win football games at UNT...he will do that, he will do that while helping to build a positive environment around his program, while he helps his players graduate and as he selects the best players to put the team in a position to win week in and week out.

Enough of this thought that Riley plays just because he is Coach Dodge's son...that is NOT FAIR to Vizza AND it is not fair to Riley...If Riley starts he will have WON the position on the field not because of his "blood line". As for Chase Wasson being pro-Riley......the head coach is Todd Dodge, not Chase Wasson. Chase will be a great addition to the staff and should relate very well to the players...he, too, appears to be a young man with character and a good bit of football know-how....he will also "do the right thing" for the team.....

Good hire....GO MEAN GREEN!

Guest GrayEagleOne

I think that to imply that Todd Dodge will show favoritism toward his son is blatantly disrespectful of him as a coach. In fact, I think that Riley will have to be markedly better to unseat Vizza.

Now, as to why Wasson got into this, I don't understand. What are his duties? Has he been announced as the quarterbacks coach? If he has then I missed it. And if he is he'll still have to convince both Ford and Dodge that Riley should start ahead of Vizza.

The only thing wrong with Vizza last year was the number of interceptions that he threw. Breakdowns in blocking assignments and blitzing linebackers and safeties created some bad situations and Vizza doggedly tried to complete the play as called resulted in bad decisions. Experience will correct a lot of that and I expect a better performance this coming season. He completed almost 60% of his passes as a true freshman. That doesn't happen often. As the team gets better around him; he'll get better.

Barring injury, I don't think that we'll see Riley Dodge starting until the 2011 season. By then he'll have a better team around him, have some experience, and rewrite a few single-season records.

Personally, I hate to see a coach with multiple duties. Therefore, I hope that Wasson is assigned the duties of special teams coach. Maybe he'll become the next Jeff Rodgers.

Chase Wasson is an offensive Grad Assistant. Some of his duties could/should include: significant film duty studying opponents defense; drawing up defensive fronts for the scout defense that week, drawing up defensive stunts & blitzes for the scout defense that week, assisting Coaches Dodge, Ford, George, Gandy, and Leftwich with every day needs for practice; being in the press box during games as a set of eyes for the offense, etc. These are typically some of the responsiblities that GA's have.

Chase Wasson is an offensive Grad Assistant. Some of his duties could/should include: significant film duty studying opponents defense; drawing up defensive fronts for the scout defense that week, drawing up defensive stunts & blitzes for the scout defense that week, assisting Coaches Dodge, Ford, George, Gandy, and Leftwich with every day needs for practice; being in the press box during games as a set of eyes for the offense, etc. These are typically some of the responsiblities that GA's have.

He also might grab breakfast for the staff a few times. I fear he will give Dodge the best donuts and exclude DeLoach since he is not from SLC. That bastard.

He also might grab breakfast for the staff a few times. I fear he will give Dodge the best donuts and exclude DeLoach since he is not from SLC. That bastard.

Chase does have a father, Hal Wasson. He's the head coach at Southlake Carroll. So he's not a bastard. Quoner, if your going to insult someone, at least insult them correctly.

GMG!!!

MediPilot, I agree. A good coach will not likely create a conflict inside the team rather than coach both kids to perform at their best to both contribute tothe TEAM. The media and this board is very capable of creating a quarterback challenge or controversy all on their own. A good coach won't normally do that. Although, not being a coach, I don't know the strategies they normally use.

Edited by GreenExes

• 2 weeks later...