Tcu: Part Of New Seating Construction Collapses

http://www.wfaa.com/sharedcontent/dws/wfaa...m.a0efd792.html

A little news about our neighbors to the south. Looks like everyone is ok.

Just saw the story on the midday news, hope all is well in Cowtown.

Guest 97and03

So they can have more empty seats at home games and the bowl game?

Ok I don't think any of us can criticize TCU having empty seats until we fill our own stadium. Glass houses, friends.

Why does TCU need more seating?

Was just thinking the same thing.

Ok I don't think any of us can criticize TCU having empty seats until we fill our own stadium. Glass houses, friends.

We may not be filling our own stadium, but we are also not adding seats to it.

Edited by GoMeanGreen1999

I don't think it would be a stretch to say that we at UNT would draw a helluva a lot more folks to come watch BYU/Utah/ New Mexico, Air Force, etc., than our SBC mates, so yeah, I can criticize them. They can't fill up Amon Carter unless a big name state school comes to town--like Tech. Otherwise, a typical MWC game gets between 25-33K depending on TCU's team and how the opponent is doing. Expanding the seating is not necessary. That be like us expanding Fouts with our current SBC schedule--not necessary. Now if they are expanding private box seating for big money at Amon carter, then that is a smart move ont heir part--and that is probably what they are doing.

Sad part is, Austin Construction is a very well respected company that has a history of doing quality work. I believe they were the contractors for the athletic center at UNT.

Don't anyone try to put any additional seats around the Athletics Department conference table, then.

I don't think it would be a stretch to say that we at UNT would draw a helluva a lot more folks to come watch BYU/Utah/ New Mexico, Air Force, etc., than our SBC mates, so yeah, I can criticize them. They can't fill up Amon Carter unless a big name state school comes to town--like Tech. Otherwise, a typical MWC game gets between 25-33K depending on TCU's team and how the opponent is doing. Expanding the seating is not necessary. That be like us expanding Fouts with our current SBC schedule--not necessary. Now if they are expanding private box seating for big money at Amon carter, then that is a smart move ont heir part--and that is probably what they are doing.

they get more fans than we do with 1/6 the enrollment (about 6,500) so give it a rest. this gets old. you don't even do a good job of masking your PSL envy.

Guest 97and03

I won't restate the point about how the draw 25-33K with as few students as they have...

From the pics, it did look like suites or boxes. At least that was my impression.

Yes those are suites that will be in the endzone.

From what I have heard they will be the closest suites to the action in all of college football.

Originally they were thinking of adding the suites below the upper deck, but that would have meant shutting down the stadium for a year and the froggies didnt want to play all thier games at the Cottonbowl.

The thing to remember about their home attendance is that most TCU grads stay in the Fort and live within a few miles of the campus. And they had a brilliant community driven campaign about a decade ago. They formed a board of 100 business leaders to drive the campaign and promoted TCU as "Your Home Team". Basically inviting graduates of all colleges to still root for their own team, but that it was ok to make TCU their 2nd team...thier "Home Team" So if you arent going to make the trip to Austin or Norman, pack up kids and head to Amon Carter. Everyone in the Fort was welcome. It is very common to find people at TCU games with a TCU hat and a UT or A&M shirt. And while I wont wear their logo, when I go to TCU games I do wear purple and my Mean Green lid.

There is a lot we could learn from friends in the Fort.

GMG

Yes those are suites that will be in the endzone.

From what I have heard they will be the closest suites to the action in all of college football.

Originally they were thinking of adding the suites below the upper deck, but that would have meant shutting down the stadium for a year and the froggies didnt want to play all thier games at the Cottonbowl.

Then TCU will also be one of the only schools with suites in the endzone. Personally, I'd rather have a sideline suite, just because the perspective of the game is much, much better despite being "closer" to the action.

Austin Construction has done many, many projects in DFW. The downtown Fort Worth Mixermaster being one of their larger projects. NT has used them for a lot of its construction projects, including the Athletic Center. There are many things that could have caused the collapse. I'm sure it will be thoroughly investigated before the project is resumed.

I'm thankful that thing fell last night, this is like an answered prayer before we even asked.

If it hadn't fallen it may have remained standing until there were people sitting on it....and under it.

It may wind up comically overly reinforced, but it will be safe for our Fort Worth brethren.

The suites are not so much about the game - they are about socializing and watching other games in comfort - and most importantly, having catered food and alcoholis beverages. Kinda like.... OUR DECK! Which is always full, despite our record. No difference in my opinion... and yes, we built it when attendance was very low. In fact, when you really think about it, our deck increased our capacity. We were at 30,500 and something before - we might seat another 200 or so on that deck during a good game... so our capacity is really about 30,700 now ;)