New Mascot Choices For Arkansas State

NT80

Express Train, what the heck kind of name is that?? Is footbal trying go new age on us or something??? I voted for Red Wolves to see what the totals were and that seemed to be a huge favorite...Arkansas State Red Wolves.... not bad!

Ditto, and what the heck is a Ridge Rider? Maybe they meant Knight Rider :P

I have a seething hatred for all things FSU. I knew when the NCAA first handed down this rule that the Seminoles would be exempt. Why was San Diego State, a team that uses a blatant caricature of an Aztec, not included on the NCAA's list of "hostile and offensive" mascots? The NCAA's official response was that there was no "organized tribe" to offer comment on the offensiveness of the mascot, so they get a pass. Well, what tribe do you go to when the mascot is simply "Indians" or "Braves"?

Unfortunately the hypocrisy is not with the NCAA alone. Minnesota refuses to play North Dakota because they call themselves the Fighting Sioux, yet they play Illinois every year (the Fighting Illini).

Of all the univeristies on the NCAA list, the top three money makers were mysteriously not pressured to change their names (Seminoles, Illini, and Utes).

Arkansas State should have told the NCAA to shove it, and sued in federal court.

(2005-08-06) — The National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) today said it would consider a proposal by People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) to ban teams from using “hostile” animal mascots during its sports tournaments. The NCAA imposed a similar ban on teams with American Indian names this week.

“Hostile animal mascots reinforce species stereotypes,” according to the PETA proposal. “When children see snarling lions, tigers and bears–even if they’re just perky men wearing fur suits with gigantic foam heads–it creates prejudice against wild creatures which justifies continued discrimination and oppression. The emotional toll on these sentient beings is devastating.”

An NCAA spokesman said the organization will also consider a resolution at its next meeting to eliminate team names and mascots altogether, and to identify each collegiate sports team by a randomly-generated 27-digit number.

Alright, thanks - that explains FSU.

And if I recall, and someone correct me if I'm wrong, the North Dakota Fighting Sioux had a similar support from the Sioux Tribe. Not as sure about that one, however.

Its the non-tribe specific names like "Indians" and "Braves" et. al. that are in trouble. Likewise with SDSU, there's no Aztec tribe to come to their defense. It helps, of course, if the tribe is as powerful and wealthy as the Seminoles.

Meanwhile, the Washington Redskins still exist....

And if I recall, and someone correct me if I'm wrong, the North Dakota Fighting Sioux had a similar support from the Sioux Tribe. Not as sure about that one, however.

October 26, 2007

U. of North Dakota and NCAA Settle Lawsuit Over 'Fighting Sioux' Mascot

The National Collegiate Athletic Association and the University of North Dakota have settled a lawsuit over the university’s use of the “Fighting Sioux” mascot, the NCAA announced this morning.

Under the terms of the settlement, the university will have three years to obtain approval of the mascot from the two Sioux tribes with a significant presence in the state. If the tribes approve the mascot, the university will receive a waiver from the NCAA’s policy, which bars colleges from using American Indian imagery it deems hostile and abusive.

If the tribes do not approve the mascot, the university must adopt a new logo and mascot that do not violate NCAA policy. If the university keeps the mascot without tribe approval, it will be subject to certain NCAA restrictions.

North Dakota officials said they felt vindicated. “We don’t believe anything that happens at this institution or that we do can be described as hostile or abusive,” Peter Johnson, a North Dakota spokesman, said in an interview this afternoon. —Libby Sander

You know, the more I think about how dumb it is that some schools can keep their mascots, and others like ASU can't, I need only remind myself that this is the same organization that can't figure out a way to do a Playoff in D1 football.

As a former REBEL, I saw this nonsense coming decades ago. You laugh, but the PETA thing is a distinct possibility.

Furthermore, if you hate what political correctness has done to sports, you really are going to despise what "Hate Crime" legislation is going to do to freedom of speech in this country.

BTW, and this is a minor quibble, the NCAA does have playoffs. It's the money-grubbing BCS schools, conferences and bowl$ that won't allow the "I-A" schools to have a football tournament like Divisions III, II and I-AA. :)

I also remember reading that UND had a much higher percentage of Sioux tribesmen attending than Florida State had Seminole's, which made that even more rediculous. I'm glad to see that UND fought and won.

Rick

Alas, the Seminoles are almost strictly business these days. A few high-ranking officials in fancy clothes can write their own ticket in Tallahassee. The only numbers required are $$$$.

I had read that Arkansas State had also found ways to circumvent this issue concerning political correctness with Native Americans.

One solution was that they would simply change their mascot from Indians to Pakastanis while another said they could even keep the Indians moniker if they put a picture of Ghandi on their helmets.

Hello from Jonesboro,

1. Ridge Riders—Take a look at a topographical map of the state of Arkansas. The Ozarks cover the west side of the state and the east side is FLAT farmland... except for Crowley's Ridge that runs through the northeast corner. Jonesboro sits on Crowley's Ridge.

2. Express Train—Jonesboro is a city of trains. They come through here all the time.

3. Red Wolves—I'm sure this will be the one. The players seem to like this one best... for obvious reasons, given the other options.

4. The favorite I heard—noting the whole train theme—was Engines. A nice play off their current name, the Indians.

Take care, everybody,

Mitch Maher