Dodge & Co. Report Card For 2007

LoveMG

Overall Grade = C (Passing (no pun intended) but Needs Improvement)

Offense = B+ Young, but more points and excitement this year. 600 yds vs Smu and 62 points against Navy. Failed against FIU.

Defense = F More experienced than offense yet became worst in 1-A. Schooled in opener against OU and embarrassed in closer vs FIU. Major overhaul needed in players and coaching.

Special Teams = D Punting average dropped, kickoffs were short, FGs were minimal. Poor contain on kick returns and no consistency on return men.

Coaching and Attitude = C+ Dodge kept first class demeanor. Made positive comments in media about the program, fought through false racism allegations and losing for first time in many years. Access to other coaches denied to media, no explanation to fans about needed defensive changes. DB coach resigned, DC remains.

Recruiting = B Announcing recruit committments is major plus and several in Top 100 lists, but seeming lack of backup plan is not good and getting beat in JUCO ranks. Needs include DL, Kicker, entire Defense, and backups for OL.

Intangibles = B- Attendance increased overall except for WKU weather. New uniforms look sharp and team acts classy in games. Limited offseason fan access to team except spring game. No stadium announcement or other major new donors since Dodge hire. Riley factor: will he actually sign, enroll and or redshirt?

Great thread...

Overall Grade = C (Passing (no pun intended) but Needs Improvement)

Offense = B+ Young, but more points and excitement this year. 600 yds vs Smu and 62 points against Navy. Failed against FIU.

Defense = F More experienced than offense yet became worst in 1-A. Schooled in opener against OU and embarrassed in closer vs FIU. Major overhaul needed in players and coaching.

Special Teams = D Punting average dropped, kickoffs were short, FGs were minimal. Poor contain on kick returns and no consistency on return men.

Coaching and Attitude = C+ Dodge kept first class demeanor. Made positive comments in media about the program, fought through false racism allegations and losing for first time in many years. Access to other coaches denied to media, no explanation to fans about needed defensive changes. DB coach resigned, DC remains.

Recruiting = B Announcing recruit committments is major plus and several in Top 100 lists, but seeming lack of backup plan is not good and getting beat in JUCO ranks. Needs include DL, Kicker, entire Defense, and backups for OL.

Intangibles = B- Attendance increased overall except for WKU weather. New uniforms look sharp and team acts classy in games. Limited offseason fan access to team except spring game. No stadium announcement or other major new donors since Dodge hire. Riley factor: will he actually sign, enroll and or redshirt?

Overall Grade - B: You couldn't have expected a whole lot if you removed the green glasses. Most prognosticators only had us winning a handful of games. Improvement is needed

Offense - B+: Agree

Defense - F: How could anyone not agree

Special Teams - D: Agree. I was surprised that this unit was not talked about more during the season. Special Teams was "bad-decent" at best this season

Coaching and Attitude - B+: I would argue that Dodge won't get all the credit he deserves for what he did on offense until we can see what the offense is capable of when he gets all his guys in there. He made run first guys into aerial guys. Dodge has also brought a stir to NT among the fans that I have not seen since 2002. Something wrong on defense though, and that has to be tied to coaching on that side of the ball

Recruiting - A: Last year's class was done without time, and this years class is shaping up to be the best I have seen at NT. Every school loses some recruiting battles, but we are still bringing in talent that hasn't been seen in NT recruiting classes in a long time, if ever.

Intangibles - A+: We went 2-10, getting roughed up severely in a couple of those games, and Dodge is going to bring in NT's highest rated class in history possibly. We went 2-10 and high calibur athletes are wanting to jump on the wagon. This show is going somewhere.

Then if Dodge is right, and the defensive problems weren't scheme, but talent problems in the secondary, and he rights the defensive ship, he will get even more credit for his coaching abillities.

This is a good thread idea:

Overall Grade - C- One part of this team was good, and that is about it. This team finished 2-10 with a huge amount of the team returning. Not sure how you could give anything better than a C here with only winning 2 games.

Offense - B - they did well at learning a new offense and played well with the players that they had, but a lot of inconsistancy. Should be vastly improved by next year with the new talent coming in and the freshmen we had this season.

Defense - F and not even sure it should be rated this high.

Special Teams - F - agree with the first post, but adding the blocked punts. I believe there 3 of them this season?

Coaching & Attitude - This is a tough one - C+ Dodge did wonders with DD's run style players in turning them into an offense that was not only enjoyable to watch, but gave us confidence on that side of the ball that we haven't seen in years. The defensive side of the ball has not been addressed at all, and that falls directly on his shoulders. In addition, though the first year he was living off of the media attention, next year will be different coming off of a 2 win season. I am a little disappointed that he has been so "closed" off to the media around here and not allowing his assistants to talk to the media.

Recruiting - A - when you can get (5) 3-star kids to commit to your program coming off of a 2 win season and be ranked as high as you are, my hats are off to this staff and what they are doing and selling this program.

Intangibles - B - Attendence was up, season tickets sold was up, and excitement about the future remains very high.

The biggest unknown is really how the players feel about the defense, the defensive staff and game plan. Has Coach Mendoza "lost" the PULSE of the team, has he lost the trust of the team?????

TD has to answer that and that will ultimately decide IF a change will be made.

IF the players like, respect and believe in Coach Mendoza he might get another year.......if not then TD has an easy decision to leave him as a position coach or let him go.

Overall- D- Much hype before the season, all of which proved to be just coach talk, players never played like they were on any type of a "mission" , "journey" in TD coach speak. Another year like this and TD's HS record and reputation won't count for squat!

Offense- B- Young QB and RB impressive, o-line came on until debacle at FIU

Defense-F- - Sorriest in D-1, chief cause of loses to two one win teams (SMU & FIU), a constant source of embarrasement

Specialty teams- Who ever signed Evan Roman as a D-1 player should be fired !

Intangibles- C- Great hype job in preseason, what do you now tell fans since all that proved to be lies, no team with any pride loses to FIU

Recruiting-- ?- Jury still out, bound to lose some verbals after horrible first season, interesting to see what camp draws this year as luster of 79-1 fades to 2-10

Overall- D- Much hype before the season, all of which proved to be just coach talk, players never played like they were on any type of a "mission" , "journey" in TD coach speak. Another year like this and TD's HS record and reputation won't count for squat!

Defense-F- - Sorriest in D-1, chief cause of loses to two one win teams (SMU & FIU), a constant source of embarrasement

Intangibles- C- Great hype job in preseason, what do you now tell fans since all that proved to be lies, no team with any pride loses to FIU

Recruiting-- ?- Jury still out, bound to lose some verbals after horrible first season, interesting to see what camp draws this year as luster of 79-1 fades to 2-10

zbehead.gif

So you graded all of the failures of the special teams on Roman? He wasn't the one sucking at field goals. He wasn't the one missing tackles in the return game. Yeah, he made some mistakes; but what does it tell you that he was the guy who won that job? Probably that the other folks sucked worse at it.

Intangibles an F? Did you listen to Dodge? When he said it would be hard sledding, but asked all the fans to be loyal through these hard times. A team losing isn't a lie.

Jury still out on recruiting? Have you noticed that TD has managed to find a better recruiting class than DD ever did (even after a NO Bowl win)? Yeah, we may lose a commitments or two, but that's what happened when you recruit against the likes of Kentucky, OU lite, and others (as opposed to directional LA schools and DII schools).

I just can't grade your report card any higher than a F-. Yeah, it lacked insight, effort and just wasn't put together very well.

Overall: D+ - Can't even give a C for 2 wins. Granted, I didn't expect much, but too many things went too wrong in this season to grade any higher.

Offense: C+ - Backed up in the red zone way too much. WAY WAY WAY too many turnovers. Finished the season on a down note, unable to put anything together after the Navy game. Relative youth in the offense bodes well for the future.

Defense: Q - Terrible. I had to make up a grade worse than F. There's nothing good to say here.

Special Teams - F- Almost as bad as the defense. Bad kicking, bad coverage, bad return game, bad blocking.

Intangibles - I - They get an INCOMPLETE. The only time people talk about intangibles is when you win.

Recruiting - B+ - Two wins and a lot of talent coming in. Dodge's reputation works well for him here. I'd like it to be better along the lines.

Wow what grades.

Like trying to post grades before mid terms, the recruiting, the players, the coaches are all getting up to speed still and you guys have the audacity to post grades like you are professors of Football. Man you guys think a lot of yourselves.

Next season will be the first real opportunity get a Mid-Term grades, grades that actually reflect what is going on with this staff. Finals are still two years away. The first session of a new coach can be the longest.

Overall: D+ - Can't even give a C for 2 wins. Granted, I didn't expect much, but too many things went too wrong in this season to grade any higher.

Offense: C+ - Backed up in the red zone way too much. WAY WAY WAY too many turnovers. Finished the season on a down note, unable to put anything together after the Navy game. Relative youth in the offense bodes well for the future.

Defense: Q - Terrible. I had to make up a grade worse than F. There's nothing good to say here.

Special Teams - F- Almost as bad as the defense. Bad kicking, bad coverage, bad return game, bad blocking.

Intangibles - I - They get an INCOMPLETE. The only time people talk about intangibles is when you win.

Recruiting - B+ - Two wins and a lot of talent coming in. Dodge's reputation works well for him here. I'd like it to be better along the lines.

I agree with Monkey Pox....your report card is just about right....the O was fun to watch, maybe it was just because of the contrast to the D because they were just so hard to watch...can you say nausea?....sure you can....its spelled Ron Mendoza.

So you graded all of the failures of the special teams on Roman? He wasn't the one sucking at field goals. He wasn't the one missing tackles in the return game. Yeah, he made some mistakes; but what does it tell you that he was the guy who won that job? Probably that the other folks sucked worse at it.

Intangibles an F? Did you listen to Dodge? When he said it would be hard sledding, but asked all the fans to be loyal through these hard times. A team losing isn't a lie.

Jury still out on recruiting? Have you noticed that TD has managed to find a better recruiting class than DD ever did (even after a NO Bowl win)? Yeah, we may lose a commitments or two, but that's what happened when you recruit against the likes of Kentucky, OU lite, and others (as opposed to directional LA schools and DII schools).

I just can't grade your report card any higher than a F-. Yeah, it lacked insight, effort and just wasn't put together very well.

Tell me all this when you've put a few $$G's into this program, been to all the out of town games and really seen first hand just how BAD this season was!! I did not give intangibles an F, but phrases such " being behind is an opportunity for a comeback", "the defense will be the strength of this team", "have your teammates back at all times", etc. did not ring as truisms to me. Roman cost us 3 safteys in two games, several muffs, and seeing him at CB was purely ludicrous. BTW I didn't find your post enligtening either!!!!!!!!! I still say losing to FIU makes us the WORST team in D-1 hands down. It doesn't get any worse.

Tell me all this when you've put a few $$G's into this program, been to all the out of town games and really seen first hand just how BAD this season was!!

That means you have considerably less invested in this thing than Todd Dodge does. He staked his career and reputation on this gig, and we have to have some faith that he wants to turn this thing around more than a fan. And another thing, many of us know how bad this season was. And just because you donated cash, doesn't guarantee a winner. Nor was it an investment. you made a charitable contribution to help fund young men get a college education. keep that in mind.

I did not give intangibles an F, but phrases such " being behind is an opportunity for a comeback", "the defense will be the strength of this team", "have your teammates back at all times", etc. did not ring as truisms to me.

They were predictions, some of them before the season began. To say that the fans were lied to is a farse (at best). And what was he supposed to say, "I'd like to thank Darrel Dickey for leaving me no team speed, a general lack of team discipline, and 15 blocking tight ends"

Roman cost us 3 safteys in two games, several muffs, and seeing him at CB was purely ludicrous.

His safeties mean that he was as good a return man as Jamel Branch, if you want to get right down to it. And you never even addressed my other points about the rst of speciual teams. Roman wasn't a gunner. he didn't cover kicks. He didn't miss any field goals. Do we even want to address how many points were lost through field golas last year? Or worse, how many 4th down trys we went for because it would have been longer than a 25 yard try? Nope, because you would like to hang it all on Roman's head.

And did you stop and think about his play at corner for a minute. The fact that he was on the field is a statement of how bad our secondary was. He got smoke, especially against OU. And I think that is why TD is bringing in some of the best talent around to fix our secondary. After the deserters left the team, that just didn't leave a lot of depth in the secondary.

BTW I didn't find your post enligtening either!!!!!!!!! I still say losing to FIU makes us the WORST team in D-1 hands down. It doesn't get any worse.

You probably didn't find my post enlightening, as I am choosing to make football points (or the use of multi-syllabic words). I am not going to rattle on, posting emotionally as if i just returned from another road loss.

And yes it can be worse. DD could still be the head coach, and this program could be going nowhere. We would be sitting right now, quietly whispering about whether or not DD had started recruiting yet. And losing to a crappy team is not the measure of a season. It sucked losing to Troy to be 5-6; but a whole lot of folks where stupid drunk because UNT was headed to a bowl game. And that was a loss to a DII Troy.

I don't mind standing alone on this one, hollaring into the wind: TD will turn this thing around. And it will happen quickly.

I'm not gonna hand out grades, but I did think the season was disapointing. Alot of posters really drunk the kool-aid and expected 6 wins...or more. My own guesstimate was 4-8, so we didn't get there either. I'd say most of us are disappointed.

I do think Dodge will get this turned around if we're patient. We may not having a winning reord for another couple of seasons though - so be prepared. I'm thinking a 4 win season next year is in store(and unlike this season's prediction, we actually really will win four :lol: ).

I agree with DallasGreen. We aren't grading based on expectation, we're grading on results. Who could argue that the season wasn't bad? No one. Yes, our future may look good but we're grading this past season, nothing else. Was it fun, yes. Was it exciting, yes. Was it a good team, no. I don't think saying that is being a downer and deserves have a smiley face head chopped off. I just think it's being honest.

This is how I would've graded.

Make no mistake, grades are results-based. I still feel positive about the future of this program, but the only way that factored in was temporing grades (like that of the offense) for the youth on the field.

I've never ever been graded on my POTENTIAL, or how the teacher/professor/etc. felt about my ability to make progress, or whether or not they thought I was a nice guy and deserved the benefit of the doubt. That's not the point of grades. I've also never seen someone grade the dumb kids differently than the smart kids, despite having different expectations on their performance. The criteria for grades are the same for all.

And these grades, like most of those that littered my report cards, mean far less than people make them out to mean. Like everything else on the board, it's a talking point for people to succinctly describe how they felt about the season.

I still believe Dodge is gonna turn this thing around. I also think it will take time. Neither of those will affect the way I grade the team.

Make no mistake, grades are results-based. I still feel positive about the future of this program, but the only way that factored in was temporing grades (like that of the offense) for the youth on the field.

I've never ever been graded on my POTENTIAL, or how the teacher/professor/etc. felt about my ability to make progress, or whether or not they thought I was a nice guy and deserved the benefit of the doubt. That's not the point of grades. I've also never seen someone grade the dumb kids differently than the smart kids, despite having different expectations on their performance. The criteria for grades are the same for all.

And these grades, like most of those that littered my report cards, mean far less than people make them out to mean. Like everything else on the board, it's a talking point for people to succinctly describe how they felt about the season.

I still believe Dodge is gonna turn this thing around. I also think it will take time. Neither of those will affect the way I grade the team.

Grades are results based, relative to the objectives set forth at the beginning. That's why each of us probably have some objectives at work that we are measured against.

So now the real question is: did everyone set reasonable objectives? Doesn't sound like it. But that's ok, that's what college football fans do. But don't grade the entire team an F because the green kool-aid tasted better than ever.

So in each of these categories, what did everyone expect?did the team meet those expectations?