From Bowling Green Daily News 11/27/2007

GreenEggs&Ham™

It is my duty to keep you guys & gals posted about things regarding UNT way up here in Bowling Green Kentucky.

Below article appeared in today's paper.

Seems Ball State complained about "chippy" play as well.

Sun Belt plans investigation into postgame fight

Elson says Hilltoppers are a ‘first-class group’

By NICK BAUMGARDNER, The Daily News, nbaumgardner@bgdailynews.com/783-3239

Tuesday, November 27, 2007 11:07 AM CST

Print this story | Email this story | | Text Size

advertisement

Facing a possible Sun Belt Conference investigation into the on-field altercation between Western Kentucky and North Texas following Saturday’s game, WKU coach David Elson defended his team Monday, saying it does nothing but play by the rules.

“When it comes to any of the comments about the chippiness or us being unsportsmanlike, I would encourage anybody, and everybody, to call any and all officials in the Gateway Football Conference - as well as any opponent - and ask what they thought about Western Kentucky,” Elson said. “And I am very confident that they would say we are what we are - a first-class group that plays hard.

“We pride ourselves on playing hard and playing physical - we’re used to that style of play from being in the Gateway, which is a very physical league.”

Sun Belt Conference commissioner Wright Waters confirmed Monday morning the league will look into the incident, which involved players from both teams converging midfield following North Texas’ 27-26 victory in Denton, Texas.

“It’s something that has been reported to us, and we’re currently looking at it,” Waters said. “As soon as we get all the facts straight, we’ll go from there.

“There were 10 personal fouls in the game, and we’ve asked for the video. So once we see that, we’ll go from there.”

The Saturday situation comes after allegations of “chippy” play by Ball State coach Brady Hoke earlier this season.

“I’m not going to speculate on their feelings, but we’re not doing anything differently than what we’ve done,” Elson said. “I’m not happy with us averaging seven penalties for 70 yards per game, that’s not where we need to be and that needs to be less. ...

“We didn’t handle ourselves the way we expect to and we were penalized for it, and we paid a severe price in losing the game by one point. And that’s something we’ve got to learn from and live with.”

Elson said he hasn’t yet spoken with either Waters or North Texas coach Todd Dodge about the incident, although he expects to do so soon. That said, Elson said his team meant no disrespect to the Mean Green with an on-field celebration penalty the Hilltoppers received following a defensive touchdown near the end of the first half.

“There’s different ways of looking at celebration and that type of thing, and to my knowledge, we didn’t do anything directed towards them,” Elson said. “It was our guys celebrating together - still not right - but everyone interprets it different ways and they interpreted it as disrespect.

“But we respect our opponents, and it was unfortunate, but we learned a valuable lesson.”

No serious injuries for Wolke

Elson said that other than feeling drained from a physical game Saturday, redshirt junior quarterback David Wolke had no serious injuries.

Wolke, who played the majority of the game, sat out the last series after what Elson thought might have been possible head and knee injuries.

“It was just a physical game, and I asked him last night how he felt and he said it felt like he was just in a 15-round fight,” Elson said. “He just felt banged up with both shoulders and his whole body. He took some pretty good licks.

“We thought there may have been some lingering effects from the concussion earlier, and that’s why we didn’t put him back in. But I don’t think it’s anything serious.”

Ring fitting

The 17 graduating seniors have been fitted for the championship rings they will receive for winning a season-goal number of seven games.

Elson said watching the group go through and finalize that process was special.

“It was great - we were able to let our seniors go and know that they were going to go over and get sized for those rings,” Elson said. “I sat in there and got to watch while all those guys went through and got sized, and it was neat.

“One of the motivations in coaching is to see kids achieve a goal and get the reward and recognition and feel that sense of accomplishment.

“It’s a life lesson they’ll be able to carry forward, and that’s a great feeling.”

“We didn’t handle ourselves the way we expect to and we were penalized for it, and we paid a severe price in losing the game by one point. And that’s something we’ve got to learn from and live with.”

I hope WKU players remember that one point loss for being "unsportsmanlike" for a Long time. :P

Championship rings? For winning 7 games against a schedule flush with I-AA teams?

That's ridiculous to the extreme. We had a 9-win season, but we didn't get rings for winning 9 games; we got rings for winning the conference. Same for our 8-win season. Looks like we owe those players at least 2 extra rings to be on par with that "first-class group" in KY.

Elson said he hasn’t yet spoken with either Waters or North Texas coach Todd Dodge about the incident, although he expects to do so soon. That said, Elson said his team meant no disrespect to the Mean Green with an on-field celebration penalty the Hilltoppers received following a defensive touchdown near the end of the first half.

“There’s different ways of looking at celebration and that type of thing, and to my knowledge, we didn’t do anything directed towards them,” Elson said. “It was our guys celebrating together - still not right - but everyone interprets it different ways and they interpreted it as disrespect.

“But we respect our opponents, and it was unfortunate, but we learned a valuable lesson.”

So what were the pre-game midfield festivities considered? I mean, I'd say that was rather pointedly directed at our team.

By NICK BAUMGARDNER, The Daily News, nbaumgardner@bgdailynews.com/783-3239

Tuesday, November 27, 2007 11:07 AM CST

“We pride ourselves on playing hard and playing physical - we’re used to that style of play from being in the Gateway, which is a very physical league.”

As opposed to the Ivy League, which is a very philosophical league, or the SEC, which is a very metaphysical league whose members are able to mow down opponents through sheer psychic will without making actual physical contact.

Gateway players, unlike those of other conferences, are still burdened with the pre-evolutionary need for bodies and muscles. Poor buggers.

Good grief, I love sports quotes.

As opposed to the Ivy League, which is a very philosophical league, or the SEC, which is a very metaphysical league whose members are able to mow down opponents through sheer psychic will without making actual physical contact.

Gateway players, unlike those of other conferences, are still burdened with the pre-evolutionary need for bodies and muscles. Poor buggers.

The rings were simply a motivational tool for the seniors who were robbed of a chance to compete for a championship. These kids came to WKU expecting to be able to compete for a I-AA Championship each year. They have sacrificed their senior year for the good of the program. Our kids opened the season with no chance for a post season. I think it was great of the coaches and athletic staff to give these kids something to work toward when the situation we are in did not allow for any post-season success.

It won't be a normal occurrence.

VERY under-rated post

I am getting tired of the talk that their penatlies lost the game for them.

Yeah, they lost by one point. But, The only reason they lost by one and not two is because we went for two and failed the conversion. We would have still won even if they made that extra point because chances are we would have made ours to when we scored that final touchdown. It wasn't their penalties that lost if for them. It was us!

Green to the Bone said:

UNTLifer said:
"Sweet ring. What did you get that for, conference championship, bowl win?"

"Nope, we won seven games."

"Oh" :unsure:

greenjoe said:
"And we got to keep all the Cracker Jack."
Stan R said:
I guess they will be secret decoder rings. Good for them.

Damn...I think you guys already got all the good jokes. Even Big Mean himself!

Maybe we could send them plastic bubblegum machine rings the next time we meet and tell them they should get rings just for playing.

I am getting tired of the talk that their penatlies lost the game for them.

Yeah, they lost by one point. But, The only reason they lost by one and not two is because we went for two and failed the conversion. We would have still won even if they made that extra point because chances are we would have made ours to when we scored that final touchdown. It wasn't their penalties that lost if for them. It was us!

Appears they couldn't take the pressure and "folded like a tent" in the second half. Mean Green three TD's to WKwoo's two field goals. :rolleyes:

Edited by MeanGreen61

Yeah, I didn't have any funny comments about them getting rings for winning 7 games. I was too busy pissing my pants from laughing so hard.

I don't see what is so funny about it. Every team sets goals before the start of the season. They usually are something like, 1) conference championship, 2) bowl game.

For this season and next season, WKU cannot have those goals. So, to motivate your team you have to create other goals. At seven wins, (granted not the seven wins we had) a team becomes bowl eligible. So since we could not win a conference, could not go to a bowl game, we played for rings to celebrate a successful first year of transition. For seniors who won't have an opportunity to ever compete for a championship but sacrifice their senior year for the good of the program, I think it is a noble gesture by the athletic department.

Sorry you disagree.

I don't see what is so funny about it. Every team sets goals before the start of the season. They usually are something like, 1) conference championship, 2) bowl game.

For this season and next season, WKU cannot have those goals. So, to motivate your team you have to create other goals. At seven wins, (granted not the seven wins we had) a team becomes bowl eligible. So since we could not win a conference, could not go to a bowl game, we played for rings to celebrate a successful first year of transition. For seniors who won't have an opportunity to ever compete for a championship but sacrifice their senior year for the good of the program, I think it is a noble gesture by the athletic department.

Sorry you disagree.

I agree with you in the fact that it did give these guys something to play for and to motivated them. I think it was very clever and respectful by the school and the coaching staff. The only thing that makes it sound funny is the 7 win thing. Now I dont know what kind of team yall were supposed to have and maybe 7 win was really reaching out there, but to me they should of put that number at about 8 or 9 because, Yes 7 wins would get you a chance at a bowl game, more then likely it would not get you a conference championship. So in my opinion for 7 or 8 wins they should give the players something that would of been equal to that of bowl game gifts and save the rings for a 9 win (semi championship season). But again that is just my thoughts, but i do think that giving these kids something to play for after it was taken away from them was very admirable.