Why Go To Uta?

drex

I have been to many of the games at UTA and we lost most with all sorts of teams from good to average. Until they have a legitimate basketball court we should not schedule them. Or, let our players acclimate to the bizaar stage by practicing there for a week or so. UTA always has an advantage due to their knowledge of the pitiful facility. It is the only place I know of that can host a broadway production and a basketball game at the same time.

As I told Go UTA, the worst thing they could do is build themselves a basketball court as it would take away their home court advantage. I've been watching NT basketball play there since 1987 and I never remember us playing well there. Never shot well there and probably never will(39% tonight). UTA played a zone all night because their coach knows this and it worked perfectly. I sat with guy's who attended the games there back in the early 70's who say the same thing. It's either a difficult place to acclimate to or it's built on an indian burial ground?

Still, the Mavs out shot, out hustled and out coached us tonight and there was no excuse. Good luck the rest of the way.

rick

The basketball court on the stage is the exact same court as the Super Pit.

The stage was not the problem tonight......it was our execution. We need to continue to play UTA at both places as we had a good crowd on hand which made for a fun atmosphere.

That's the way we feel too. You brought a great crowd. Racking up wins agains Northwestern New Mexico and other directional schools pales in comparison to how great you will feel if you ever beat Arlington. Good luck the rest of the year! :)

That's the way we feel too. You brought a great crowd. Racking up wins agains Northwestern New Mexico and other directional schools pales in comparison to how great you will feel if you ever beat Arlington. Good luck the rest of the year! :)

I'm not sure I understand your comment. Our wins have been against:

Cameron

Oklahoma State

Indiana State

No directional schools amongst the bunch.

The win over OSU wasn't as big as it seems--they are young and not nearly as good as they have been in years past when they contended for the Big 12 title or played well enough to earn an invitation to play in the NCAA tourney. A big name historically, but this was the year to get them to your building and beat them. May not happen again if they rebuild like they usually do.

Kinda like when our Mavs beat New Mexico State at their gym two or three years ago--a HUGE win for us at the time but I think they won maybe 5 or 6 games the whole season. I think UT-San Antonion and a few other Southland or Sunbelt teams also beat them. We caught them at the right time and played a great game on the road. Would I want to play them now, no way.

Duck_Mav....I agree wholeheartedly with emmit....you obviously are NOT a Geography Buff....nor are you a History Buff, while UTA made it 4 straight last night, UNT leads the overall series by a decent margin (I didnt look up the actual record, as it looks like you could use the research practice).....By the way, were you the clown in the 1970's UTA Hat? That was a sweet banner you had...

probably took you all week to make with your tempura paints.......

GREAT to see the MG crowd turn out.....not so great to see the team/coaches not fully show up....facility is VERY QUIRKY....But, must agree with Talon90....Building was NOT the issue.....

IM Out......BigNGreen89

Coach Dodge's Christmas Wish List

(1) Defensive Coord with D1 experience (We dont have Trinity HS on our schedule next year either)

(2) A Couple of more weapons for "Little Dodge" to use next year or two.....

(3) Another year of experience for perhaps youngest O-Line in country.......

The game was a lot of fun. Ya'll brought a real good crowd, which helped make the atmosphere spirited and competitive in the stands, too. One of the advantages of Texas Hall is that a crowd that's not necessarily even very big can make the place rock. (Hopefully nobody noticed any dead\rubber chickens, or whatever.) It will be with mixed emotions when we eventually leave Texas Hall for a Special Events Center, e.g., maybe something such as is at UALR.

Towards the middle of the 2nd half, it did look like we might completely take you to the wood shed, but then you came back and made it interesting at the end. Fortunately, our guys were poised and did what they had to to ice the win.

I just hope that your coach doesn't stop scheduling us after these 2 wins.

Believe it or not, this little message has taken 30 minutes to this point. Here I am, a guy doing the guy thing (the critical task of making a post on a college sports board), and my wife keeps calling me in to the kitchen to help clean up behind her and to mix some potato dish. Where is her sense of priorities?

;)

The game was a lot of fun. Ya'll brought a real good crowd, which helped make the atmosphere spirited and competitive in the stands, too. One of the advantages of Texas Hall is that a crowd that's not necessarily even very big can make the place rock. (Hopefully nobody noticed any dead\rubber chickens, or whatever.) It will be with mixed emotions when we eventually leave Texas Hall for a Special Events Center, e.g., maybe something such as is at UALR.

Towards the middle of the 2nd half, it did look like we might completely take you to the wood shed, but then you came back and made it interesting at the end. Fortunately, our guys were poised and did what they had to to ice the win.

I just hope that your coach doesn't stop scheduling us after these 2 wins.

Believe it or not, this little message has taken 30 minutes to this point. Here I am, a guy doing the guy thing (the critical task of making a post on a college sports board), and my wife keeps calling me in to the kitchen to help clean up behind her and to mix some potato dish. Where is her sense of priorities?

;)

It was a fun atmosphere. I hope we continue to play. I wish all the ares schools would play yearly. It makes for quite the fun atmosphere for the fans. I can understand why the Coach JJ might not want to schedule you, but hell, we pay him to win. I would much rather play UTA than some small school patsy that helps his coaching record. Oh, never mind, I just remembered UTA was suppose to be our small school patsy! Just kidding. You guys deserved to win the game last night.

Edited by scotty474

The win over OSU wasn't as big as it seems--they are young and not nearly as good as they have been in years past when they contended for the Big 12 title or played well enough to earn an invitation to play in the NCAA tourney. A big name historically, but this was the year to get them to your building and beat them. May not happen again if they rebuild like they usually do.

Kinda like when our Mavs beat New Mexico State at their gym two or three years ago--a HUGE win for us at the time but I think they won maybe 5 or 6 games the whole season. I think UT-San Antonion and a few other Southland or Sunbelt teams also beat them. We caught them at the right time and played a great game on the road. Would I want to play them now, no way.

Wow, you think OSU=NMSU??

Why does everyone keep saying that there was a great crowd last night? Official attendance was like 1200. Was it just 1200 really loud fans or is that a great crowd for the Stage?

thats a good crowd for UTA.. they normally average roughly 400.. I would say half of the 1200 were UNT fans tho.. if you think our attendance is bad, you would wonder how and why UTA still has an athletic program.. nobody there cares

thats a good crowd for UTA.. they normally average roughly 400.. I would say half of the 1200 were UNT fans tho.. if you think our attendance is bad, you would wonder how and why UTA still has an athletic program.. nobody there cares

The official box score said 2,122 which seems more like it ... make fun of texas hall, but small crowds sound MUCH bigger in that building even if it was 1300 ...

http://utamavs.cstv.com/sports/m-baskbl/st...08/m111807.html

The official box score said 2,122 which seems more like it ... make fun of texas hall, but small crowds sound MUCH bigger in that building even if it was 1300 ...

http://utamavs.cstv.com/sports/m-baskbl/st...08/m111807.html

I hate to break it to you, but the box score you are looking at is from the UALR game, and that was in Arkansas, not Texas Hall.. and I'm sure 400 people can make a high school auditorium sound loud..

wow so we are now ragging on a team that has beaten us 2 straight years. Sorry to burst your bubble but UNT would not even win the Southland Conference, so some of us need to get off our high and mighty attitude and hope this team keeps improving greatly or they will lose to NMSU and the UT in the next coming games.

wow so we are now ragging on a team that has beaten us 2 straight years. Sorry to burst your bubble but UNT would not even win the Southland Conference, so some of us need to get off our high and mighty attitude and hope this team keeps improving greatly or they will lose to NMSU and the UT in the next coming games.

Hey everybody....remember this. We were without our BEST outside shooter against UTA. Against a zone, Collin Dennis would have hit at least 3 thees in like 5 attempts. Then, Coach Cross might have abandoned the zone, which would have opened things up for everyon else. I say that Dennis was the worst person (next to Wooden) that we could have been without against UTA. We are a better team and should have won without Dennis.

we got screwed by a bad call at the end of the game 2 years ago when a basket shouldn't have counted.. and this year there are no excuses, but I think if we played them in our place it would have been a different story.. Texas Hall is a horrible place for basketball period... I wouldn't say that we wouldn't win the southland, I think we would be at the top and have a very good chance to win the southland.. but finally I think this thread and the people who replied to it were mainly dissing UTA's basketball "arena" more then they were UTA's team

I hate to break it to you, but the box score you are looking at is from the UALR game, and that was in Arkansas, not Texas Hall.. and I'm sure 400 people can make a high school auditorium sound loud..

That is correct, guess the link from the UTA site is bad .... so it was 1300, seems a little low to me ...

and i dont really think Dennis would of made that much of a difference in the game, whos time would he of taken?

remember UTA was up by double digits before UNT made a pretty nice comeback in the last two minutes ... UTA controlled the first 18 minutes of the second half, and held off a nice run by UNT to end the game ... Dennis is a nice player, but I dont think he would of won the game for UNT ...

you guys did not need outside shooting, you needed someone to park it in the middle of the zone to make UTA compress and THEN exploit the weakened zone with outside shots and inside moves ... by not exploiting the middle of the zone UNT played into the strenghts of the zone, that simple ... does not matter how many 3 point shooters you had, the shots were not there ....

you guys did not need outside shooting, you needed someone to park it in the middle of the zone to make UTA compress and THEN exploit the weakened zone with outside shots and inside moves ... by not exploiting the middle of the zone UNT played into the strenghts of the zone, that simple ... does not matter how many 3 point shooters you had, the shots were not there ....

your team won, no doubt, and you have a very good team down there, they are something to be proud of... I just think most of us believe we were with out one of, if not our best, scorer the other night.. With him things might have been alittle different, who knows.. in the grand scheme of things, this game means nothing to either team.. great win and good luck with the rest of the season, I look forward to following UTA and seeing how your season works out

Guest GrayEagleOne

Good grief, guys.

We can't play every game at the Super Pit. We have to play home and homes. UTA is one of three Division I teams close to us and we should play home and home with all three every year in my opinion. I don't like the stage either but it is their home court and if we continue to have series with them then we will have to play there. Don't be like several of the Oklahoma State fans who cried about having to play us away from Gallagher-Iba.

We did not play with intensity (except for a couple of minutes near game's end), committed too many turnovers and deserved to lose. This team is not yet what it will become. We haven't learned to play together that well yet. The coaches still need to determine who should get the most minutes and I don't think that they've hit on that yet. We're just not quite as good as we appeared to be after beating OSU but we still will be a quality team in time.

On the other hand, UTA does seem to be a sound team and is actually rated higher than we are in at least two RPIs. They simply outplayed us for most of the game. They seemed to want it more.

This thread needs to go. Last week we posted some tidbits from the Okie State board and how they were complaining about playing us in Denton...and how they would've won had the game been in Stillwater and we were laughing at them and their lame excuses. How the hell does this look? It wasn't the stage that beat us...it was UTA...again. Say what you want about Dennis being out, or missed opportunities, or god-forbid poor officiating...its a loss. Last season's loss to UTA made us better...so will this one. Calvin Watson was a complimentary player last year until Kendrick broke his hand...K.D.'s absence forced Calvin to step up and he responded and he will now be rembebered as one of UNT's greatest players by many of us. This year we have 6 talented guards...5 of who didn't play here last season...trying to learn a new system and adjust to a higher-level of compition. This loss will build charcter and roles will become more defined.

I would rather lose this game than go to UT undefeated...I still think we match up well with the Horns and could sneak out a victory...but this loss just needs to serve as a reminder to JJ, the players and the fans that there is still A LOT of work yet to be done to get this team where we all know it should be.

Bottom line...we need to be able to win where ever we play. Remember, people laugh at us becuase we have track around our football field. Just, play ball. If you get up big and play hard start to finish then you don't have to worry when we get screwed by a bad call, like we have before.

I think the OSU WIN went to some of you guys head that do not follow the BB program with a keen eye. You just noticed the WIN versus a big name like OKLAHOMA STATE and said , wow we are REAL GOOD!!

Well we are pretty good , but right now I'd put WKU & New Orleans ahead of us in the belt. I'm not trying to be negative , I just think that until this unit plays more 2gether we are currently behind these 2 programs. There is no doubt we still have the ability to go dancing again , but it's one hell of a tough path to get there again.