Last Season 13-18 (.419)

Conference Record 5-13 (10th)

Starters Lost/Returning 1/4

Coach Kevin McKenna (Creighton '81)

Record At School First year

Career Record 89-33 (4 years)

RPI Last 5 years 263-223-202-161-142

COACH AND PROGRAM

The adage goes ''if you can't beat them, join them.'' For Kevin McKenna, things are working the other way. After a successful run as a player at Creighton and nine years as an assistant there, McKenna crossed enemy lines in April to take over the job at Indiana State. The view of the Valley is much different for the former Bluejay now that he is in Terre Haute. While Creighton has been rolling up 20-win seasons and trips to the NCAA Tournament the last five years, the Sycamores have become a perennial bottom feeder in the Missouri Valley Conference.

McKenna was once a standout All-Valley player who played against Larry Bird at ISU during the Sycamores' glory days and then went on to win a championship ring with the Los Ange-les Lakers. Now McKenna looks to restore that glory at ISU in his first stint as a Division I head coach. He previously served as the top man at Division II Nebraska-Omaha in between assistant jobs at Creighton. ''We have a tough hill to climb,'' said McKenna, who inherits a team with four starters back and who went 1-2 against his old team last season. ''We are going to be depending on a lot of young players.''

PLAYERS

The Sycamores do have one proven veteran in 6-1 senior point guard Gabriel Moore (11.5 ppg, 2.4 rpg, 3.9 apg), who led the program in scoring a year ago and the Valley in minutes played (37.5 mpg). Moore, a fourth-year starter, was sixth in the Valley in steals (1.7 spg) and eighth in free throws (80.5 percent), but was the exception for the Sycamores, who had few players rank among the league leaders in any statistical category. ''He's one of the better guards in the league,'' McKenna said. ''He has a lot of experience.'' Moore enters the season 103 steals behind Bird and Nate Green for the school record (240) and needs 10 assists (he has 303) to rank 10th all-time in that category The three other backcourt players with starting experience are not quite as seasoned, but all of them played in at least 25 games as freshmen.

Sophomore Cole Holmstrom (9.2 ppg, 2.0 rpg) started 20 games, and the 5-10 guard finished second on the team with 51 three-pointers. The Bloomington native wasted little time making his impact at the college level, scoring 17 points to lead the way in a season-opening win over Western Michigan. Holmstrom led the team in scoring six times and finished seventh in the Valley in three-pointers made per game (2.04). He combined for 14 threes with 6-3 sophomore Marco Stinson (9.4 ppg, 2.4 rpg) in a late December win over Drake. Stinson made a school-record nine threes in the game and led the Sycamores with 54 on the season. Stinson certainly had a scorer's touch at times last season, and struck for 24 and a career-high 37 in back-to-back wins over Purdue and Drake, respectively to close out the first half of the season.

He started 13 of the 30 games he played, but led the team in scoring only three times in the final 19 games after doing it four times in the first 12. The third sophomore guard fighting for minutes is 6-0 Harry Marshall (3.1 ppg, 1.8 rpg), who started eight of the 30 games he appeared in last season. Three incoming freshmen figure into the guard equation as well. Jordan Printy arrives from Marion, Iowa, where he built a reputation for being a sharp shooter while leading Linn-Marr High on a state championship run. The 6-4 guard originally com-mitted to former coach Royce Waltman before his senior season and followed through on it despite the coaching change.

Another Waltman recruit, 6-4 guard Aaron Carter, from in-state Perry Central High, also stuck with the Sycamores. ISU did lose two freshmen from its original class, including 6-9 forward and Iowa Mr. Basketball Clayton Vetter. In-state Jefferson High graduate Lamar Lee, a 6-1 point guard, filled one opening, but Vetter was the prized piece of the recruiting class. ''I'm excited about all the freshmen,'' McKenna said. ''I think we would have recruited them anyhow.'' Fortunately for the Sycamores, they already have some young talent in the frontcourt, led by two juniors -- 6-8 Jay Tunnell (9.0 ppg, 5.4 rpg) and 6-6 Adam Arnold (6.0 ppg, 6.2 rpg). Tunnell started 29 games, led the team in blocks (12) and was second in rebounding. Arnold, who was an All-Valley bench player, started only 6-of-31 games but managed to rank sixth in the conference in rebounding. ''They both showed signs of putting up decent numbers,'' McKenna said.

Tunnell posted three double-doubles last season, and scored 16 points with seven rebounds to lead the way in an opening-round MVC Tournament win over Illinois State. Arnold led the team on the boards 14 times and posted a double-double with Tunnell in a win over Wagner. Tunnell had 17 points and 11 boards while Arnold had 13 and 10, marking the first time two Sycamores have done it in a game in years. ISU has two 6-10 centers in sophomore Brant Leitnaker, who played in only 12 games because of a foot injury, and senior Mick Yelovich (3.0 ppg, 1.6 rpg). The latter averaged 6.5 points in the last seven games of the year and is one of only three seniors on the roster. If Leitnaker develops, it could help soften the blow of losing out on Vetter. Leitnaker averaged 12.3 points and almost six rebounds per game as a high school senior in Ohio.

''He's mobile, can run the floor and block shots,'' McKenna said. The Sycamores also return 6-4 senior Todd McCoy (2.8 ppg, 1.8 rpg), who started 13-of-30 games last season, and bring in two freshmen -- 6-5 Indianapolis product Keenan Barlow and 6-8 Chicago native Isiah Martin. Martin averaged 16 points and nine rebounds at Morgan Park High, but the most important stat for ISU is his five blocks per game. The Sycamores come off a year where they blocked only 42 shots in 31 games, and landing Martin also helps offset the loss of Vetter. McKenna decided to retain two of Waltman's assistants when assembling his coaching staff, Greg Lansing and Stan Gouard. The new assistant is Lou Gudino, who arrives after two years on the staff at Louisiana Tech. Even though McKenna has been around the Valley block as a player and assistant, this will be his first go-round as a head coach.

ISU is one of five league schools that changed coaches since March, which along with the departure of some experienced players makes things rather different this season. ''Overall the league has lost a lot of veteran players, so I think the league is wide open,'' McKenna said. ''It's a [good] time to come into the league with five new coaches, even though three of them have a lot of experience in the league.'' A change at the top might just be the thing to reinvigorate the Sycamores' program, which has grown stale in recent years and struggled to contend in the Valley. McKenna comes from a winning background at Creighton and knows how to be successful in the conference, both as a player and coach. That winning attitude should be something the young Sycamores soak up as they try to climb out of the basement.

Moore provides a solid leader in the backcourt, and Arnold and Tunnell are proven factors up front, so McKenna has a few solid veteran pieces to lead the charge this season. The real key will be establishing a winning attitude in the freshmen and sophomores, who have little experience with the program's lean years. With the Valley turning over half its coaches and losing some top players, it's not out of question for ISU to have some success this season and maybe even win a tournament game or two. However, the Sycamores are likely several years and a good recruiting class or two away from being one of the conference's top contenders.

ROSTER

3 Arnold, Adam F 6-6 219 Jr. 2L Decatur, Ind. (Belmont HS)

43 Barlow, Keenan F 6-5 195 Fr. HS Indianapolis, Ind. (Cathedral HS)

32 Carter, Aaron G 6-4 185 Fr. HS Cannelton, Ind. (Perry Central HS)

5 Holmstrom, Cole G 5-10 170 So. 1L Bloomington, Ind. (Bloomington South HS)

11 Lee, Lamar G 5-10 165 Fr. HS Lafayette, Ind. (Jefferson HS)

0 Leitnaker, Brant C 6-10 235 So. 1L Lancaster, Ohio (Lancaster HS)

23 Marshall, Harry G 6-0 185 So. 1L Bowling Green, Ind. (Owen Valley HS)

21 Martin, Isiah F 6-8 210 Fr. HS Chicago, Ill. (Morgan Park HS)

34 McCoy, Todd F 6-4 200 Sr. 1L Philadelphia, Pa. (Johnson CC)

1 Moore, Gabriel G 6-1 190 Sr. 3L Little Rock, Ark. (Mills HS)

24 Printy, Jordan G 6-4 180 Fr. HS Marion, Iowa (Linn-Marr HS)

25 Stinson, Marico G 6-3 195 So. 1L Memphis, Tenn. (Kingsbury HS)

44 Tunnell, Jay F/C 6-8 255 Jr. 2L Topeka, Kan. (Topeka West HS)

50 Yelovich, Mick C 6-10 265 Sr. 3L Mount Zion, Ill. (Mount Zion HS)

BLUE RIBBON ANALYSIS

BACKCOURT: B-

BENCH/DEPTH: C

FRONTCOURT: C+

INTANGIBLES: C

I just hope we don't have too big of a letdown after the Oklahoma State game. UTA is next week - and that's a "revenge" game, so ISU is sandwiched snuggly in the middle. I hope JJ brings'm down to earth.

I want an undefeated home record. The Superpit - where teams come to die.

I just hope we don't have too big of a letdown after the Oklahoma State game. UTA is next week - and that's a "revenge" game, so ISU is sandwiched snuggly in the middle. I hope JJ brings'm down to earth.

I want an undefeated home record. The Superpit - where teams come to die.

I am worried about a potential let down too... however, with our bench being so deep, playing time is going to be fierce... if someone isn't getting it done, there is another guard waiting to take his spot...

I am worried about a potential let down too... however, with our bench being so deep, playing time is going to be fierce... if someone isn't getting it done, there is another guard waiting to take his spot...

I'm more concerned about a team wide letdown than individual players. OSU was a massive game. The students poured their heart and soul into it almost as much as the players did. We celebrated like we won a conference title. Hangover potential all around.

Thanks for the write up Cooley.... Your game time score prediction?

It's the BLUE RIBBON Yearbook's write up. Cooley's analysis would be better researched and better written.

I'm more concerned about a team wide letdown than individual players. OSU was a massive game. The students poured their heart and soul into it almost as much as the players did. We celebrated like we won a conference title. Hangover potential all around.

It was a team effort no doubt, but numerous players played limited minutes.....and I bet are chomping at the bit to get out there and perform. Quincy played 14 minutes, Triston 14 minutes, McCoy 7 minutes, and Hogans 7 minutes. Even Collin only played 20 minutes. I doubt that these guys are mentally or physically fatigued, and that is a heck of line up right there: Quincy, Triston, McCoy, Hogans, and Dennis. And Josh White is a firecracker and will be ready to play... Anyhow, I certainly hope we do not have a team wide let down, and I don't think we will because of our depth...

*slaps palm*

Depth has nothing to do with it Chris. I'm not talking about PHYSICALLY taking alot out of the team...I'm speaking MENTALLY. You know the same way an LSU last year can beat Florida(the defending and eventual 2 time champs) but not be good enough to to stay within 20 of a .500 Auburn the next game.

Edited by CMJ

*slaps palm*

Depth has nothing to do with it Chris. I'm not talking about PHYSICALLY taking alot out of the team...I'm speaking MENTALLY. You know the same way an LSU last year can beat Florida(the defending and eventual 2 time champs) but not be good enough to to stay within 20 of a .500 Auburn the next game.

Let's hope that this not the case... I sure hope not, but we'll find out tomorrow.

*slaps palm*

CMJ.... I did see a little of this... we were not as sharp today as a team. Luckily, we did what we had too to win.

I was quite worried listening to the opening minutes. We showed alot of maturity coming back like we did. I'm almost scared of how good we could be - because I don't want to set myself up for disappointment. But to me, we have the makings of a school that if we make the dance could get a reasonable seed(say a 13 or 12).

As of now, I'm trying to ell myself we are only 3-0 and all sorts of things could still go wrong. Don't wanna get excited.

Edited by CMJ

I was quite worried listening to the opening minutes. We showed alot of maturity coming back like we did. I'm almost scared of how good we could be - because I don't want to set myself up for disappointment. But to me, we have the makings of a school that if we make the dance could get a reasonable seed(say a 13 or 12).

As of now, I'm trying to ell myself we are only 3-0 and all sorts of things could still go wrong. Don't wanna get excited.

Go ahead... get excited... its contagious and you'll have more fun.....

There are two things that I worry about with this team...

1. Lack of depth behind Wooden

2. The number of turnovers

The bad news is #1 can't be fixed till next season with recruiting. The good news is we can cut down on the turnovers.

Quick topic change - If Indiana State had made their open 3's this would have been a very different game. They were really cold from the outside.

thats fine, nobody from this board believed in last years team either and it seems most are taking the same approach this year

What the Hell are you even talking about? Do you even know?

CMJ has been a rabid fan on this board for years. Well before any of us ever heard of Keith 7.

And btw....someone saying that they're being "cautiously optimistic" is in no way slamming the team.

also, if you're going be so nitpicky...why don't you stop slamming the football team?

Edited by SUMG

What the Hell are you even talking about? Do you even know?

Are you forgetting the "fire Johnny Jones" mob that came around last year? thats what I'm talking about.. and my apologies to CMJ, I realize you have been on this board longer than I have so I guess that makes you a better fan.. :rolleyes: ... my comment was more targeted at scotty474 than CMJ, but CMJ's quote fit what I was talking about as well.. We have 3 very good wins, but people are still questioning if this team is for real.. it just doesn't make much sense to me

also, if you're going be so nitpicky...why don't you stop slamming the football team?

lol at calling me out for slamming the football team.. what about the other 90% of the board that has been as well?? I love the football team as much as anyone, just have been frustrated w/ the way we have been closing out games..

Keith....I think we have the potential to be a really good team. And we have some quality early wins. But it's 3 games into the season. This is the kind of team that not only makes the tournament - but can upset someone when it gets there.

But it's THREE GAMES. I believe we have about 27 to go. Anything can happen between now and then. I'm not gonna proclaim a Sun Belt title when we don't even have a good read of our fellow conference mates yet. This could be a special squad. I'm sure Wichita State thought last year was a special team too...when they rose into the top 10 early on. Conference play started and they didn't make the Dance.

We have potential. This could very well be better than last year's team. I'm not cynical here....I really do think we have a ton of upside. And I'm not gonna jump off the bandwagon at the 1st sign of trouble. Other than not covering the inbound pass vs New Orleans last year, I never questioned JJ much. I've been on board with him by and large since Day 1. I lived thru Trilli when I was a student, so Jones is the freaking man as far as I'm concerned. But it's way too early to tell about the '07-'08 team. It really is..

Edited by CMJ