Nt Daily- Dodge Addresses Athletes Accusations

MeanGreen61

Dodge addresses athlete's accusations

Dodge 'offended' by racial charges

Richard White

Issue date: 10/31/07 Section: NEWS

NT football head coach Todd Dodge addressed recent allegations of racism by junior defensive back Dominique Green Tuesday. Green was suspended indefinitely on Monday for "insubordination."

Green claims he was suspended for racial reasons after saying, "We are from the hood" on the sidelines of last Saturday's game against Middle Tennessee. Assistant coach Clayton George verbally reprimanded Green before defensive coordinator Ron Mendoza pulled George away, ending the confrontation said a Denton Record-Chronicle article published Tuesday.

Green was unavailable for comment.

"It's unfortunate that it puts a negative light on myself and my coaching staff," Dodge said. "We don't have any racial problems on our football team at all. That's the one thing that I can lay my head down on my pillow at night knowing that I run a program that takes care of our players."

Green filed a complaint with a Texas chapter of the NAACP on Monday, which is currently looking into the matter.

Ericka Cain, a Texas youth and college adviser for the NAACP, is handling Green's complaint.

Cain, who has been with the organization for six years, was one of the mediators involved in the Kappa Alpha Order racial incident where members of the fraternity waved confederate flags at a group of primarily black football recruits, Jan. 27, 2001.

Green is scheduled to meet with Cain on Thursday to discuss his case in full.

"He may have said what he did but I don't think a student should be suspended for it," Cain said. "As far as I know anytime a student feels that he has been treated unjustly, it's my role to investigate the situation and bring the two sides together, whether it be through mediation or just bring both sides to an understanding over the matter."

Cain said she left a message with the NT athletics department on Monday, but has yet to discuss the case with anyone from NT's administration or athletic department.

The university is dealing with the situation internally, conducting its own investigation by meeting with all parties involved before a decision is made.

"Any time you have a person make that allegation, it's a disappointment because it means there's a problem," said NT Athletics Director Rick Villarreal. "Staff, coaches, players, all student athletes, they understand that I don't tolerate anything like this. But they also have the right to report a situation that is not proper."

Dodge said he was "very offended" upon first hearing the allegations.

"It never feels good to wake up in the morning and see your football program on the front page of the newspaper … singling your program out as racist," Dodge said. "It's not a racial issue, it's a disciplinary issue."

Dodge said Green was not suspended because of his race; rather it was due to his ongoing disrespect for the authority of Dodge and his coaches.

"It's foul language being used on the sideline," Dodge said. "And about being insubordinate when he's being redirected. I can promise you that the word 'hood' was not the only word used. I don't have any problem with that word."

While Dodge refused to discuss Green's character, his teammates described him as a good friend.

"I could trust him, I could count on him," said senior linebacker and defensive co-captain Maurice Holman.

Senior defensive back and co-captain Aaron Weathers said Green had an easy-going attitude.

"He's a good guy, I laugh with him a lot and I could call him my friend," Weathers said.

Dodge explained that Green's latest incident on the sidelines Saturday was the last straw of what was a second chance given to Green.

"It's not the only situation that happened," Dodge said. "I have counseled with the young man before on some incidences that have happened earlier in the season and we had cleaned the slate and started anew, so this is not the first situation."

Although Green is no longer able to practice or play for the Mean Green this season, his scholarship is still intact for next season. NT athletics can decide at a later time to revoke his scholarship based on the conclusions reached at the end of their investigation.

Dodge has not spoken to Green since he filed his complaint with the NAACP, but welcomed the opportunity to discuss the issue if Green wanted.

Dodge has not spoken with the team about why Green is no longer with the football program, saying that the full details of the incident and his subsequent suspension should stay between Green and himself.

Staff writers Aaron Bracamontes and Abel Prado contributed to this story.

Dodge has not spoken with the team about why Green is no longer with the football program, saying that the full details of the incident and his subsequent suspension should stay between Green and himself.

That's a great way to handle this thing. It's important to leave the players out of the loop. This strategy is sure to unify the team and any player on it who shares Green's feelings.

Peachy.

That's a great way to handle this thing. It's important to leave the players out of the loop. This strategy is sure to unify the team and any player on it who shares Green's feelings.

Peachy.

Well, go in there and fix it.

I hope TD knows what he's doing and that he's got a handle on all the crap the rest of us are throwing conjecture at.

Edited by meangreendork

Many posters continue to ignore the content of the article; regarding Chapman? Chapman stated, in his opinion, “there are different set of rules for the black players” The issue is not whether the kids missed practice, used profanity at a coach or was insubordinate. Their claim is that the punishment has not been consistent. Right or wrong, they choose to involve the NAACP for mediation.

Thank God many of you have no decision making authority for the University. If you did, your actions would certainly have UNT all over Nightline and CNN. These individuals should not have their scholarships taken away because they filed a complaint with the NAACP. Secondly, they should not be retaliated against for filing a claim. UNT has a very active chapter of the NAACP for all students.

The great thing that should come out of this is that RV should ensure, going forward, that a liaison person be identified (between players and the coaches) This may already exist but the individual(s), unlike an academic advisor, would be the buffer between the player and coach; making sure that proper communication is always open and two way. Additionally, this person would be the sounding board for any other athlete with personal issues. We need to keep these young men in school and not thrown out because they were marginal ball players and/or brought some adverse attention to the school.

We have always had challenges maintaining the maximum number of scholarships due to various attrition reasons. RV, Dodge & staff should never be caught off guard with these types of allegations. The fact that they were, further indicate to me that a system of this nature is not in place and/or not working. Assign kids to mentor to help address their concerns.

Communication goes a long way in solving and/or avoiding conflict. Biases are often not intentional. With any new coach, there is a tendency to go with your guys opposed to those that you may have inherited. I see this in the work place all the time.

I would venture to guess that some frustration may be a result of the coaching staff desiring to use their kids. We have, after-all, burned a number of red-shirt to get their kids on the field. Green & Chapman are from the prior regime.

This season can’t end soon enough for me and others. The good news is that our coaching staff should not be labeled HS coaches anymore.

One last note and certainly not meant to be personal to any poster. Please understand that if Dodge didn’t have problems with Trey Newton and a few other black players (who grew up in affluent Southlake, Texas) that they have the same experiences of someone from the inner-city. Moreover, no one black person or Anglo person can speak for anyone else. We are all individuals with different backgrounds and experiences.

To our coaches and fans, don’t pigeon hole everyone into a set situation. Let the kids express themselves, listen to them and try to understand. Likewise to the kids! Understand and respect authority. When unsure, confused or both, ask for a discussion.

Many posters continue to ignore the content of the article; regarding Chapman? Chapman stated, in his opinion, “there are different set of rules for the black players” The issue is not whether the kids missed practice, used profanity at a coach or was insubordinate. Their claim is that the punishment has not been consistent. Right or wrong, they choose to involve the NAACP for mediation.

Thank God many of you have no decision making authority for the University. If you did, your actions would certainly have UNT all over Nightline and CNN. These individuals should not have their scholarships taken away because they filed a complaint with the NAACP. Secondly, they should not be retaliated against for filing a claim. UNT has a very active chapter of the NAACP for all students.

The great thing that should come out of this is that RV should ensure, going forward, that a liaison person be identified (between players and the coaches) This may already exist but the individual(s), unlike an academic advisor, would be the buffer between the player and coach; making sure that proper communication is always open and two way. Additionally, this person would be the sounding board for any other athlete with personal issues. We need to keep these young men in school and not thrown out because they were marginal ball players and/or brought some adverse attention to the school.

We have always had challenges maintaining the maximum number of scholarships due to various attrition reasons. RV, Dodge & staff should never be caught off guard with these types of allegations. The fact that they were, further indicate to me that a system of this nature is not in place and/or not working. Assign kids to mentor to help address their concerns.

Communication goes a long way in solving and/or avoiding conflict. Biases are often not intentional. With any new coach, there is a tendency to go with your guys opposed to those that you may have inherited. I see this in the work place all the time.

I would venture to guess that some frustration may be a result of the coaching staff desiring to use their kids. We have, after-all, burned a number of red-shirt to get their kids on the field. Green & Chapman are from the prior regime.

This season can’t end soon enough for me and others. The good news is that our coaching staff should not be labeled HS coaches anymore.

One last note and certainly not meant to be personal to any poster. Please understand that if Dodge didn’t have problems with Trey Newton and a few other black players (who grew up in affluent Southlake, Texas) that they have the same experiences of someone from the inner-city. Moreover, no one black person or Anglo person can speak for anyone else. We are all individuals with different backgrounds and experiences.

To our coaches and fans, don’t pigeon hole everyone into a set situation. Let the kids express themselves, listen to them and try to understand. Likewise to the kids! Understand and respect authority. When unsure, confused or both, ask for a discussion.

Very good post and very well said.

And some posters choose to ignore what Joseph Miller stated.

One last note and certainly not meant to be personal to any poster. Please understand that if Dodge didn’t have problems with Trey Newton and a few other black players (who grew up in affluent Southlake, Texas) that they have the same experiences of someone from the inner-city.

Lawton, Oklahoma is hardly inner-city.

It tells me all I need to about a person's character when they run to a racist organization like the NAACP. It shows that they themselves are racist and it shows there character.

Lawton, Oklahoma is hardly inner-city.

I'm not sure where some people get the idea that Lawton is some podunk outpost in the middle of nowhere. Lawton has over 90,000 in the city limit alone, and probably about 120,000 in the areas surrounding it. It's got three public high schools, an army base, and a university.

And, yes, it does have some "inner city" areas. Lawton ain't Muskogee. Not even close. A quarter of the population is black. It isn't some tumble weed town full of hayseeds sitting out in front of the feed store listening to Merle Haggard and George Jones. Anyone who's ever been there knows better.

I'm not sure where some people get the idea that Lawton is some podunk outpost in the middle of nowhere. Lawton has over 90,000 in the city limit alone, and probably about 120,000 in the areas surrounding it. It's got three public high schools, an army base, and a university.

And, yes, it does have some "inner city" areas. Lawton ain't Muskogee. Not even close. A quarter of the population is black. It isn't some tumble weed town full of hayseeds sitting out in front of the feed store listening to Merle Haggard and George Jones. Anyone who's ever been there knows better.

I've been. And you're right Lawton has a little over 90K residents. Comanche county has a total population of 102K. And while it's not Goober and Gomer sitting at the feed store it isn't Cabrini-Green either. It's a blue collar military town.

Edited by adman

Very good post and very well said.

Everyone should understand that socioeconomic differences, cultural differences, race, prejudice and even different use of language can all result in miscommunication. Any head coach in this country is attempting to meld together people from very different backgrounds and it is not easy, either for the coaches or for young men meeting and experiencing some very different aspects of life while trying to make grades and compete in a sport.

We need to give both parties the benefit of the doubt and hope that some positive resolution comes from this. The last thing we need is the team to split into camps, each convinced of the rightness of their side.

Todd Dodge is the coach and he needs to be respected as such, but the learning goes both ways and it may take a little time for the coaches as well as the players to adjust to a new system.

And some posters choose to ignore what Joseph Miller stated.

The allegations came as a shock to UNT junior defensive lineman Joseph Miller, who is black, and several area coaches and athletic directors who have worked with Dodge over the years. Dodge spent the 2000-06 seasons at Southlake Carroll and won four state titles in his last five years at the school.

"I heard about it this morning and was shocked," Miller said. "I have not been a victim of anything like that. Hopefully this will pass over."

OK Lifer, I've posted the comments from Joseph Miller. What was missed or purposely ignored? Joseph Miller has not and did not allege anything! He also didn't offer up anything regarding in this story. Maybe you missed the portion of my post where I stated that not all black or anglo individuals can speak for everyone else. You might also find another post where I referenced that no other African-American players (past or present) had alleged discrimination over the 32 years (to my knowledge) that I have followed the program. If I'm not mistaken, Miller is from Pflugerville which does not create an image of an inner-city kid. I also didn't mention (or chose to ignore) the quotes from other black teammates who felt that Green was a good guy and teammate.

Anyway, please enlighten me, as I can always count on your consistent biased opinions regarding race relations and the african american athlete.

It tells me all I need to about a person's character when they run to a racist organization like the NAACP. It shows that they themselves are racist and it shows there character.

Kind of funny that anyone would think that a political activist organization looking for headlines and power would see anything impartially. They started to pull the race card with Vick until they realized how deep a hole he was in and how bad the press would actually be.

The allegations came as a shock to UNT junior defensive lineman Joseph Miller, who is black, and several area coaches and athletic directors who have worked with Dodge over the years. Dodge spent the 2000-06 seasons at Southlake Carroll and won four state titles in his last five years at the school.

"I heard about it this morning and was shocked," Miller said. "I have not been a victim of anything like that. Hopefully this will pass over."

OK Lifer, I've posted the comments from Joseph Miller. What was missed or purposely ignored? Joseph Miller has not and did not allege anything! He also didn't offer up anything regarding in this story. Maybe you missed the portion of my post where I stated that not all black or anglo individuals can speak for everyone else. You might also find another post where I referenced that no other African-American players (past or present) had alleged discrimination over the 32 years (to my knowledge) that I have followed the program. If I'm not mistaken, Miller is from Pflugerville which does not create an image of an inner-city kid. I also didn't mention (or chose to ignore) the quotes from other black teammates who felt that Green was a good guy and teammate.

Anyway, please enlighten me, as I can always count on your consistent biased opinions regarding race relations and the african american athlete.

I like how you talk about generalizations and then bring up the IMAGE that Pflugerville creates for you, as if it offered any relevance.

Well, the importance of Miller's comments are that, if someone alleges there are different rules for black players, and a black player says they are unaware of them, it makes a case very very hard on the person making these allegations. If the deciding factor is supposedly RACE and not something else (like missing practice or insubordination), then it just doesn't make sense that some black players are not seeing this supposed racism. Are they not black? Essentially, right now it looks like there are different rules for black players who have been suspended or were pissed off about playing time and got into arguments with coaches. Note that Miller has been in trouble with the staff himself.

It's obviously a problem with Dodge, though. He sets up different rules for the black athletes and then has copies of his black and white separate rulebooks handed out to his staff so that they can all get together and properly enforce the WHITE RULES and BLACK RULES accordingly.

99% of the athletes at North Texas have no idea what the University has to offer outside of academics and where they need to be for practice and meetings. Maybe DG wouldn't have gone to the NAACP if he had known there was an office in the University system he could have gone to with his complaint. Once again, posters are passing judgement on players on this board without all the facts or knowing the entire story. I don't know about ya'll but all my life I have been told you can't believe everything you read in the newspaper, hear on the radio or see on TV.

Enjoyed your post:)!

"It's obviously a problem with Dodge, though. He sets up different rules for the black athletes and then has copies of his black and white separate rulebooks handed out to his staff so that they can all get together and properly enforce the WHITE RULES and BLACK RULES accordingly."

I gather from your statement that you know this for a fact, that you talked with Dodge or a coach and have verified this "FACT" since you presented this FACT on gmg.

I haven't seen anything but a few quotes from Dodge and the two players involved...nothing that validates your "FACT".

One fact has surfaced...Dominique Green was suspended early in the season and now a second time, Desman Chatman is currently suspended indefinately and they are the ones making the allegations.

The prudent thing is to wait for the investigation to be completed and the FACTS known before making statements on one side or the other. I obviously haven't talked with either party so can't determine what the FACTS are at this time.

One thing I can see....without "Proof" at this time, Dodge and UNT are being charged with some serious allegations that have and will continue to hurt the individuals involved and North Texas. It would be best if this thread were stopped here.

I've been. And you're right Lawton has a little over 90K residents. Comanche county has a total population of 102K. And while it's not Goober and Gomer sitting at the feed store it isn't Cabrini-Green either. It's a blue collar military town.

I spent close to two weeks in Lawton about 10 years ago working mainly in probably the roughest part of town. I wouldn't really of classified that area as a "hood", just your typical smallish city with mainly blue collar type neighborhoods. I went pretty much all over the city, and I never felt as if there was a heavy "hoodish" type presence anywhere I went. Kind of reminded me of Waco if you took away Baylor and the Lake Waco/Valley Mills areas, and replaced them with a large military base. I enjoyed the Wichita Mountains north of town, but that's about the only thing that stood out to me about the place. It's just a short interstate drive north of Wichita Falls.

Guest Aquila_Viridis

The great thing that should come out of this is that RV should ensure, going forward, that a liaison person be identified (between players and the coaches) This may already exist but the individual(s), unlike an academic advisor, would be the buffer between the player and coach; making sure that proper communication is always open and two way.

Man you haven't been reading enough George Orwell.

Many posters continue to ignore the content of the article; regarding Chapman? Chapman stated, in his opinion, “there are different set of rules for the black players” The issue is not whether the kids missed practice, used profanity at a coach or was insubordinate. Their claim is that the punishment has not been consistent.

Nwigwe despite the media coverage etc. played on Saturday, was he treated differently than others?

I spoke with a friend of mine today who played wide receiver at SMU right after the return from the death penalty. I asked who he thought they should hire as a coach. He said "I wish Todd Dodge was available, that is who I would want." I asked if he had read the allegations made against Dodge and the coaching staff. He said he did not believe them and thought they would go nowhere. Perhaps for some of you it is important to note that he is African-American (a graduate of Howard Law School). His view mirrored that of everyone else I have spoken with about the subject. Outside of this board I found no-one that put any stock at all in the allegations.

We have a person who cried foul to the media and others, and has provided no situation or circumstance where a "different set of rules " has been applied.

Nwigwe despite the media coverage etc. played on Saturday, was he treated differently than others?

North Texas: 1G-Johnson, Breece, 9-Lewis, B.J., 17-Nelson, Brian, 18-Phillips, Matt, 19-Dibrell, Sam, 23-Moreland, Thoma,

24-Cotton, Roderic, 25-Spencer, Truman, 27-Gordon, Robbie, 30-Henderson, Kero, 31-Nurudeen, Latif, 32-Mosley, Micah,

34-Neal, Chris, 37-Roman, Evyn, 39-Dawson, Germain, 40-Mahan, Colt, 44-Nwigwe, Tobe, 45-Higgs, Cliff, 48-Davenport, Ryan,

50-Brown, Lawrence, 52-Owusu-Hemeng, S, 57-Bailey, Tyler, 59-Penson, A.J., 61-Stewart, Jonath, 70-Carlson, Brian,

80-Smith, Isiah, 85-Gill, Victor, 86-Davidson, Chris, 97-Durodoye, Raifu, 98-Krider, Kail.

Credited with 2 tackles against MTSU.

Good find. I had hoped he would make his way back but didn't realize he was even on the sidelines.

Rick

I like how you talk about generalizations and then bring up the IMAGE that Pflugerville creates for you, as if it offered any relevance.

Well since we all seem to love to make generalizations, how about the reality that college football is dominated by african-american athletes, yet we're the only university "lucky" enough to have 3 players on the same team accuse the coaching staff of racism? I can't remember any program within the last 5 years having such serious accusations thrown at it.