Your 1st Away Game ?

NT03

In 1980, NT opened up UTA's new football stadium. In front of a nice crowd, NT provided me an away win in my first game as a student transfer from UT, 31-14 in the season opener.

And Peacock, Mean Green 2018 did ask me about that game...had to admit we broke some rules.

Overnight at a Holiday Inn $75

Getting kicked out of Big Brothers: Saved me money!

Running out of fireworks: Saved AState money

Hanging out with my little brother at an NT game, having that little brother go to Austin College, then transfer, graduate and work post-grad at NT: priceless.

September 21, 2002

North Texas 10 - TCU 16

When I first realized how much I disliked DD's offensive philosophy, we could have won that game - our Defense was simply outstanding.

My first was the 02 UT game...but man nothing was more frusterating than the TCU game...not that Tye Gunn proved to have too much, but our defense shut down TCU, only to pick up 3 yards per drive on offense.

September 21, 2002

North Texas 10 - TCU 16

When I first realized how much I disliked DD's offensive philosophy, we could have won that game - our Defense was simply outstanding.

My first away game was also at TCU; I think it was in '97 or '98. I likewise was pretty depressed by our offensive philosophy in that game.

I suppose that technically the first out of town game that I attended was the 1971 game vs Wichita State at Texas Stadium. I also attended many games at TS during the Hayden Fry era, but I didn't consider them "out of town" games. Nor do I consider games with UTA to be out of town games.

I guess the first real out of town game that I attended was North Texas and Baylor in 1982.

Edited by SilverEagle

1976 vs. SMU in Texas Stadium. I was also there in '77 when we won 38-31. Unfortunately, I missed the victory in 1990 and 1933 was a little bit before my time. Still, I've seen half of our victories versus SMU and hope to increase that to 60% after we wallop the 'stangs this year.

technically but not my first game was Texas Stadium in I think 98' against A&M( it was on the road(not at fouts)) but realistcally it was '02 versus Texas

I think it was 97. That was my first too.

My first NT game was the '88 debacle against UT. I had just found out I had been accepted to NT in the Spring of '89, so a trip to the Forty Acres was a no-brainer for me. BTW, not to stir anything up, but on the disputed, last-second TD, Cash lands on his thigh OUTSIDE the end zone...the replays confirmed it. The turf at Memorial Stadium had a grain to it back then, and anytime you went from north to south, you were going against the grain of the turf, which made it hard on the joints and easy to see where people landed.

My first away game as a student was against Northwestern State in Natchitoches, LA. I followed FFR all the way there. There was a nice tribute area to Joe Delaney, the former Chiefs RB and Demons alum, who drowned while saving some children during the prime of his NFL career. I remember we lost the game, but I don't remember the score.

BTW Talon90, that was Wayne Walker who put Darren Lewis' lights out...I still remember hearing the hit from across the field and halfway up the bleachers in Kyle Field...

Arkansas, October, 1968. Nearly beat the top 10 ranked Razorbacks. Lost 15-17, no thanks to a North Texas fumble at the Arkansas 2-yard line (right across from where we were sitting....saw the whole horrific play as in slow motion...a botch handoff to the halfback). Still, it was fun seeing the entire stadium get silent as the fans realized that North Texas was just as good as they were and that it was not going to be any easy victory. Fortunately, the game was lost on the field and not through the ref as in Ausitn in 1988.

My in-laws were at that game. They still talk about it.

BTW Talon90, that was Wayne Walker who put Darren Lewis' lights out...I still remember hearing the hit from across the field and halfway up the bleachers in Kyle Field...

For you, Talon90 and GreenBat.

As good as the hit on Lewis was which required him to have to be helped back across the field once he got to his feet, do y'all remember Welker laying this guy out on an attempted fade to the corner? He met him just as the ball touched his hands, WHAMO!!!!

welkerhit892_474x121.jpg

The third photo(far right) gives a nice perspective as to just how hard he hit that dude from the distance out of bounds in which he landed.

This was one of those games that remind me of when newbies come on this board and goff at some of us older nesters for EXPECTING the Mean Green to go out and take it to these bigger programs, marking some of us as near insane for predicting that NT will get run off, and laughed off the field. NT played A&M very well for most of this game. Our defense gave them all they wanted for much of it and as Greenblood94 mentioned, our team was full of gutsy head hunters that LOVED these games. Absolutely LOVED them for the opportunity that they offered to go out and show 70,000 people why they belonged on the same field. I have reason to believe we are finally going to see this attitude again by the Mean Green because the attitutude starts at the top on down.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

September 1988 in Lubbock Texas........Now known as the tortilla game.... NT 29 -- TT 24

Wife is a Tech grad...all my kids were with us...

Two later graduated from NT, none from Tech... one Aggie (who now attends NT games with his brother. . )

That was also my first away game. I must admit Kyle Field was very impressive but the outcome of the game was not pretty.

Basically. But two of my favorite road trips were us playing A&M('98 as well) even though we were beaten soundly both times. Not just because of how impressive Aggieland was - they were just fun trips all the way around.