Your New Starting Qb

adman

So with the QB race wide open I was wondering: With a new offense being installed how early in to 2-a-days does does Dodge need to name a starter? Is it something you can wait to do the week before OU or does he need to be named earlier and really get some first team reps in? Thoughts?

He called Meager the leader and noticed the talent level difference early on in during the spring. I do not think it will take Dodge long to know which QB he will go with. I bet he knows in less than 7 practices......whether he announces it or not is another thing. I think Meager gets the start......but the Godfather comes in and plays versus OU, IMO.

He called Meager the leader and noticed the talent level difference early on in during the spring.

As did the rest of us. After all, seeing the fall off after Meager made it clear he was the front-runner, and (thankfully) eliminated the need for any off-season QB debates. Phew. Thank God gmg.com was spared those this year.

Can you imagine if WW had a case? As if, I mean he only won a game last year all by himself. Obviously, we (and SMU) know better.

Pardon me if I still don't trust Meager after having seen him play last fall, no matter what he looked like in the Spring Game. I used to think he'd be a great mix of speed and passing, but most of his passes were under or overthrown last fall, so I'll wait on calling him a starter.

Edited by meangreendork

As did the rest of us. After all, seeing the fall off after Meager made it clear he was the front-runner, and (thankfully) eliminated the need for any off-season QB debates. Phew. Thank God gmg.com was spared those this year.

Can you imagine if WW had a case? As if, I mean he only won a game last year all by himself. Obviously, we (and SMU) know better.

Hehe...well played sir...well played indeed.

I'm still not sure what everyone saw in the spring game aside from the fact that our corners may need some safety help on the two deep touchdowns to Casey Fitzgerald.

Will TD have the balls to start a true freshman in Norman?? That to me is the interesting part of two a day practices. Dodge is kind of a river boat gambler (in some degree), Dodge is a guy that goes against the grain. The best incoming QB's in the nation rarely start and when they do, they struggle which is understandable. I listened to Stoops over the radio and he called this one of his best potential teams ever. They were 8-0 when Petersen was injured. Their defense is supposed to be incredible.

Now back to the question? Would Dodge start a true freshman? I would be surprised if its not Meager, but it wouldn't be a total surprise to see Dodge go against the grain. Can you imagine starting against OU when the last game you played was a HIGH SCHOOL State Championship?

From what I hear, Vizza is making some noise already in summer workouts. But that might change when the pads come on.

If TD goes with Vizza, I have to give him an "A" for major league BALLS. But this scenario might be why we hired a guy like Dodge.

Edited by Dodge2007

I seem to recall the last time we threw our freshman QB into the fire of Austin, we went on to win a bowl game.

While not exactly similar (Andrew was a redshirt and didn't go in until Hall was injured), I have no problem with putting the heat on them right out of the gates.

Good point SE. There's a good chance that we'll be seeing what more than one qb looks like in the new system if the starter can't get the ball out quickly, thanks to the oline. Most of the hits that were layed on JMo behind the line of scrimage last year will be given to the qb's this year if there is no blocking up front and with Meager being injury proned, I'd say we see the backup qb for sure.

Is it something you can wait to do the week before OU or does he need to be named earlier and really get some first team reps in? Thoughts?

To answer your original question, DD seemed to prefer naming the starting QB just after the other team scored on their first possession and it was time to send in our offense.

So for TD to name a starter anytime before the first Gatorade break would be an interesting strategic shift.

I think Dodge will know fairly quickly what he wants and expects. First and foremost, Dodge expects great no huddle tempo and

accuracy. He is very tuned into making great decisions with the ball.

Dodge says he wants to have his QB picked out and set. He doesn't want our QB to look over his shoulder seeing another kid warming up. Meager was the clear choice by Dodge and he let the media know in a hurry in spring ball. Woody, with Dodge's coaching, may have been his guy but being a Senior,imo, may not get him any reps. Woody also missed a lot of spring ball, not a good way to start off your commitment with TD. I do believe that Woody would have made monstrous strides, under the direction of Dodge, for two or three seasons.

Meager is the red shirt junior. He should be the leader of the team. I believe Vizza challenges Meager for the spot. Meager did come out of a good passing attack in high school which made his transition to Dodge's system quicker than Phillips and Tune. Vizza knows the spread. I believe he threw for over 3300 yards and 37 tds. The interesting point of Vizza is he threw for a ton of yards in the semi and state finals against D-1 DB's, DE's etc. Any QB that can roll up almost 500 total yards in a state championship game against the speed of Copperas Cove, has some game. August boils down to Meager v. Vizza............10 rounds of Todd Dodge football, their will be no TKO, there will be a knockout punch, at least that way as fans, we don't get down on whoever starts at QB. Instead we will rally on who Dodge chooses and go with it.

It will boil down to accuracy, no huddle tempo, leadership, and the burning desire to win. Whose's got it?

I may have forgotten, but didn't a certain QB burn everyone on the field for a 60yd TD run?

:D

Edited by Got5onIt

Even with Riley coming in next season?

I think I would. The MG have a senior and 2 junior QB's this year. They can afford to RS GV (and possibly Tune) this year, IMO.

Next year they'll have 2 senior QB's, and 2 RS frosh with 4 years left. Then you RS Riley when he gets here, if you have the depth.

I may have forgotten, but didn't a certain QB burn everyone on the field for a 60yd TD run?

:D

Ieans? :whistling1:

Of course! Put Jonathan *cough* Jon *cough* on the field. He'll put The Stallion to shame, and leave Riley in the dust. I can see it now: Rodge riding the bench thinking "At least I could've played in Austin."

I think I would. The MG have a senior and 2 junior QB's this year. They can afford to RS GV (and possibly Tune) this year, IMO.

Next year they'll have 2 senior QB's, and 2 RS frosh with 4 years left. Then you RS Riley when he gets here, if you have the depth.

/quote]

LongJim,

Tune has already red shirted, sorry, but he can't red shirt again. Everyone loves beating SMU but ONE long run for a winning Touchdown won't go real far with Dodge. Like I said, Woody would have developed nicely if he would have worked on his passing game with Dodge for two or three seasons. But I do not believe,imo, that Dodge is going to spend a lot of time with a one year player who missed a lot of spring ball and came out into the spring game at the #4 QB. I am probably totally wrong but I just do not see it.

No way Vizza red shirts. I bet my bottom dollar they use a year of eligibility. Dodge will have 5 QB's next spring on scholarship. He doesn't want to red shirt Vizza and not know what he is capable of doing before spring of 2008, again I am probably wrong.

Not sure you want to red shirt a kid with another similar style of QB coming in named Riley. Riley and Vizza are very similar. Riley is faster, Vizza is quicker but both have the same kind of arm. Only advantage I see is Riley has played for his dad and Vizza is built to take the pounding. I both give them equal grades on competiveness and leadership, since I have no true idea.

LongJim,

Tune has already red shirted, sorry, but he can't red shirt again.

You're right. D'oh!

But I do not believe,imo, that Dodge is going to spend a lot of time with a one year player who missed a lot of spring ball and came out into the spring game at the #4 QB. I am probably totally wrong but I just do not see it.
You may be right. I think he believes he has at least 2 QB's right now that can run this offense, though.

No way Vizza red shirts. I bet my bottom dollar they use a year of eligibility. Dodge will have 5 QB's next spring on scholarship. He doesn't want to red shirt Vizza and not know what he is capable of doing before spring of 2008, again I am probably wrong.

Man, I disagree. I think Dodge knows exactly what he's getting in GV. I think that he's going to try to get DM and the others into this system. Let's face it, one is a senior, and unless he grabs the offense and really blows everyone away, there are people in line who want the job. There's no question WW has the ability to be incredible at QB in this system. Remains to be seen how well they are all going to grasp it, and the spring and fall practices should separate any head cases or prima donnas.

IMO, Dodge (right now) has a wealth of ability at QB, with more in the pipeline. I think best case, Meager, Woody, and Phillips all gel. If that happens, I don't know why you wouldn't RS Vizza. I think you're wasting him by playing him this year, unless you absolutely have to. If Meager comes out as the starter (and I believe he will) and really tears it up, I think you shirt GV.

Not sure you want to red shirt a kid with another similar style of QB coming in named Riley.

Why wouldn't you? You'll have Srs. Meager, Phillips, So. Tune, and RS F Vizza. Again, why wouldn't you redshirt him, and give him an extra year of eligibility?

Edited by LongJim

I like your thoughts LongJim but my instintct tell me Dodge uses the freshman THIS season. Remember, I believe have the SMU transfer coming in the spring as well at QB. Vizza will play because Dodge wants a QB recruit every season. Only so many schollies and 5 on scholarship next season is still one too many, imo. So why not burn one year up with Vizza.

At least that way, Dodge knows what he really has to work with.

I like your thoughts LongJim but my instincts tell me Dodge uses the freshman THIS season. Remember, I believe have the SMU transfer coming in the spring as well at QB. Vizza will play because Dodge wants a QB recruit every season. Only so many schollies and 5 on scholarship next season is still one too many, imo. So why not burn one year up with Vizza.

At least that way, Dodge knows what he really has to work with.