Mean Green Lands Another!

Harry

http://meangreen.beloblog.com/

UNT lands another

Caddo Mills wide receiver Desmond Brigham (6-2, 180) said Wednesday that he has orally committed to North Texas.

Brigham caught 42 passes for 742 yards and seven touchdowns last season when he was named first-team All-District 12-2A. Brigham said he chose UNT over offers from Arkansas, Iowa State, Missouri and Louisiana-Monroe.

Oral commitments are non-binding. The first day a recruit in the class of 2008 can sign a national letter of intent is Feb. 6.

Rivals has him as the 15th best WR in the State, 4.5 speed and in the high jump got 2nd place in State! Also an amazing basketball player!

The level of recruiting that is taking place under Dodge is simply amazing!

Is Dodge preparing to institue a 10 wide formation? :P

Here's the breakdown on our '08 recruits so far.

2 - Offensive linemen

2 - Wide receivers

1 - Athlete (WR, DB ?)

1 - Running back

1 - Linebacker

1 - Defensive back

1 - Quarterback (Riley shows as an athlete on Rivals)

North Texas committmentshttp://footballrecruiting.rivals.com/commi...&School=163

Edited by MeanGreen61

Here's the breakdown on our '08 recruits so far.

2 - Offensive linemen

2 - Wide receivers

1 - Athletes (WR, DB ?)

1 - Running back

1 - Linebacker

1 - Defensive back

1 - Quarterback (Riley shows as an athlete on Rivals)

North Texas committmentshttp://footballrecruiting.rivals.com/commi...&School=163

Add to this 6 WR commits in the 07 class plus Evan Fentriss. That's now 9 WR's in addition to any currently on scholarship that won't be seniors this season.

I love that real, tangible recruiting news gets a handful of replies, but a thread on stickers and helmet colors gets 8 billion replies.

Grab your heels and shiny clutches, you bunch of girls....

I love that real, tangible recruiting news gets a handful of replies, but a thread on stickers and helmet colors gets 8 billion replies.

Just realized I switched up a previously existing joke - sorry SA...

But that doesn't change my point whatsoever.

Well damn what do you expect none of us are used to seeing this kind of recruiting news, man oh man, recruits for next year man thats not very stealthy.

What is that smell?

Smells like...THE BIG TIME. B)

I was wondering what that was.

Judging by what I have read, if this guy shows up with a great attitude and work ethic, there is no telling where this team might take him. He might own every NT receiving record in the books. And if that is the case, there is no telling where he might take this team. That smell might be getting a whole lot more powerful in the next 3-4 years.

Edited by Mean Green 93-98

Guest GrayEagleOne

It does seem that we are getting a glut of wide receivers but quality receivers will always be in demand.

Bear in mind that these two wide receivers will likely not play a down until 2009. By then, Jackson, Fitzgerald, and Stickler will be gone and Washington will be a senior. Wide receiver will use the most players per game; supposedly as many as eight. So, not only will they likely get playing time, they may also be starters early because they seem to be that good. When the cuurent class of six plus Fentriss graduate, there would be zero senior experience the following year without these signees.

I doubt that we'll ever see as large a class of wide receivers as this last one but we should see two or three each year.

Guest GrayEagleOne

It does seem that we are getting a glut of wide receivers but quality receivers will always be in demand.

Bear in mind that these two wide receivers will likely not play a down until 2009. By then, Jackson, Fitzgerald, and Stickler will be gone and Washington will be a senior. Wide receiver will use the most players per game; supposedly as many as eight. So, not only will they likely get playing time, they may also be starters early because they seem to be that good. When the cuurent class of six plus Fentriss graduate, there would be zero senior experience the following year without these signees.

I doubt that we'll ever see as large a class of wide receivers as this last one but we should see two or three each year.

For the reasons you mentioned, I would expect more. Signing three a year would have to be the bare minimum, as it would leave the team with only twelve receivers on its roster at a given time, assuming all make it all four years. Not that many when eight per game are seeing playing time.

Edited by Mean Green 93-98

I agree about the recruiting efforts that Coach Dodge and his staff doing this

off season! I do not believe long time North Texas football fans are used to this

type of recruiting success. I know I am just amazed at each commitment

that Coach Dodge brings to North Texas. WOW!

Just like Christmas, I can not wait to open that next present!

I am really looking forward to the OL/DL commitments that will come in.

I will bet there will be some real big time commitments to North Texas

before this recruiting season is over!

By the way, I do not follow track too much, so, how does the 6ft-9in high

jump rate as far as track standards go? I also remember the NT track team

signed a high jumper earlier this year that will walk on this fall as a WR.

I wonder if Brigham will walk on with the NT track team?

Also, he can probably dunk a basketball every which way. With his speed and leaping ability, he seems to be the perfect deep threat that Dodge will need in his offense. Someone who can attract a safety over the top and open up the middle of the field. If he can catch the football when we are inside of our redzone, he's the go to guy in a fade route to the corner. This is an exciting commit and I am sure Dodge will be able to hold on to him.