Unt Traditions/spirit Committee (steps To Success)

Dear North Texas Fans,

This morning I got to sit on a committee with faculty as a representative of Student Government. RHA, Greek Life, Talons, NTExes, Athletics, Administration were all represented on the committee. This from what I understood was something Dr. Bataille wanted us as a community to put-together (her being from University of North Carolina District - a very prideful school!)

The committee decided to hear viewpoints from many people in the UNT community and invited in Rick Villareal, President Bataille, Chuck Fuller, Todd Dodge, Rick McKinney (Fire Fightin' Rick), and Hank Dickenson (Voice of the Mean Green) to speak. The meeting was from 8:45-12 noon on Friday morning.

Here are some of the highlights of the meeting and viewpoints that each person expressed:

Chuck Fuller - talked about the history of the University and how we should include more history to our unique programs to new students (Jazz Program, Environmental Science...etc) He talked about how traditions and statues should be visible to students on campus. We possibly could acquire 120,000(out of the misc. construction budget) to build statues of traditions or a sidewalk spirit walk. He passed around the three books on the history of north texas.

Rick Villareal (Athletics Director) - Talked about how the university needs to make a "personal connection with students," and how we have had a logo problem for over 25 years with the constant changing of branding/uniforms. He stated that "Traditions are only traditions when they are practiced," and he talked about how we need to hook freshman into athletics and the university as freshman. He said that the university and the students should capitalize on the lighting of the tower after football games and that Tradition & Spirit is a major part of the college experience. He stressed wearing green on fridays & encouraging faculty & students to do so. He believes we should stay consistant w/ our traditions. Explained how you can't make traditions, they just happen.

Gretchen Bataille (President) - She talked about how we've gone leaps and bounds from 5 years ago with starting tailgating and the mean green village. She encouraged more game day posters to be placed all over the place, even staked in the ground. :) How we should possibly have a website post board to inform students of our traditions and events. We need to stop printing UNT shirts that are not in the color green. Have more venues for students (events before games...etc)

Todd Dodge (my favorite speaker..this guy can speak!) - He talked about how we've had a problem with uniforms and we've changed the helmet 5 times since 1991. He wants to make a helmet that we can be proud of that won't be changed atleast for 10 years. He talked about his high school experiences at southlake and how he saw the community come together after they came up with the slogan "protect the tradition." He also talked about his experience with football at UT and in Port Arthur, Texas. Wants to build the program to make it the Team of the D/FW Metroplex and one that students come to watch the Mean Green play and not the visiting team. He said that one of his top priorities was to have the football team "show grattitude," at the end of the game, by singing the alma mater and thinking fans. He talked about the calliber of new recruits and how they've influenced the players to do better improving the old players attitude and work ethic. He said that there is no excuse for us not to have a top ten national passing record, and to see atleast three receivers have 60-80 receptions in a year with the new offense. He said he wants to be involved with reaching out to students and helping out with recruiting high school players.

Fire Fightin Rick - Talked about how tradition meant "to hand something down." Stressed how "you can't hand something down if noone is excepting it."He talked about UNT and how he was proud of being a unt alum and getting involved as an undergraduate. He gave us a challenge as to making a 7 syllable chant for game day. (like Memphis at the NCAA tournament and other schools) He said it was intimidating to hear 15,000 fans screaming a chant in unison....he said it was something that is needed. He talked about how "rich" our tradition is a UNT....how boomer is hand made by the UNT community and not bought like the UT canon (saying that it was "just a big pop gun" lol) Talked about alumni possibly willing to buy a new bell for the game...etc.

Hank Dickenson - Talked about athletic attendance and how "you can set the table, but if u don't come to dinner it doesn't matter." He stressed that we should reach out to incoming freshman and inform them of our traditions and how games are fun to go to. That we need to promote games through student word of mouth and through offices that represent the students. (greek life, student government...etc) He said that we need to capitalize on the Navy game and make sure that everyone comes to the game.

...those are only some of the things that were mentioned....I didn't want to write a scroll of information on this post. Just wanted to make sure that the community is aware that the University wants to help out with spirit and get students involved through athletics. Student Government, Orientation Leaders, Talons, Greek Life, all have great plans for this upcoming year in bringing the students together and to get them out to games.

respectfully submitted,

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rick Villareal (Athletics Director) - Talked about how the university needs to make a "personal connection with students," and how we have had a logo problem for over 25 years with the constant changing of branding/uniforms.

Todd Dodge (my favorite speaker..this guy can speak!) - He talked about how we've had a problem with uniforms and we've changed the helmet 5 times since 1991. He wants to make a helmet that we can be proud of that won't be changed atleast for 10 years.

Good luck with finding one uniform and helmet all can agree is the best we've had. I will say putting "North Texas" on the helmet again (in any font) is NOT going to win the award. <_<

President Bataille, Rick Villareal, Chuck Fuller, Todd Dodge, Hank Dickenson, FireFightnRick

To quote Sesame Street

"One of these things is not like the others,

One of these things just doesn't belong.

Can you tell which thing is not like the others,

By the time I finish my song"

:P

Edited by JayDub

To quote Sesame Street

"One of these things is not like the others.

One of these things just doesn't belong

Can you tell which thing is not like the others

By the time I finish my song"

President Bataille is a female

Does our band, cheerleadering squad, dance team, Talons and other groups come together to coordinate spirit efforts? For example a spirit week or spirit camp or something like that could accomplish a lot:

1. spirit storm - brainstorm creative ways to theme or market each game

2. yell practice - coordinate and practice cheers - talk about how and when they will teach Freshman, existing students, alumni, casual fans

3. away game rituals - proactive plans for every away game - where the tailgate will be, set up, pep rally details with extra emphasis on Oklahoma and SMU game; however, a plan needs to be built for every away game

4. beginning 2 end - pre and post game coordinated activities

Every individual in all of these groups needs to realize that they do much more than toss a cheerleader, play a sax and lift a sign. Collectively these individual groups possess an opportunity to change the spirit culture at UNT and grow the fanbase.

The meeting was a great first start, but the power will come from mobilizing the minds and arms of the larger group.

GMG

--GOOD REPORT---

---Glad to see some this type of thing is happening. I absolutely agree with Dodge's comment to get a good uniform design and stay with it. Many universities you can turn the TV on watch for ten seconds and know exactly who is playing. We need to be consistent. I (personally prefer some type of NT on the helmet --actually like the N over the T. TxTech uses their double T, Aggies always use the same thing and Texas uses their longhorn in the shape of a T. We should be consistent. The mascot symbol has changed over time so I rather not use the eagle... besides we are usually refered to as the Mean Green anyway.

---The students enrolled need to be more involved..... after all they are the future's alums as well. Better support will give us better recognition and actually help our degrees to be better known and recognized in the market place. They need to understand that.

--GOOD REPORT---

---Glad to see some this type of thing is happening. I absolutely agree with Dodge's comment to get a good uniform design and stay with it. Many universities you can turn the TV on watch for ten seconds and know exactly who is playing. We need to be consistent. I (personally prefer some type of NT on the helmet --actually like the N over the T. TxTech uses their double T, Aggies always use the same thing and Texas uses their longhorn in the shape of a T. We should be consistent. The mascot symbol has changed over time so I rather not use the eagle... besides we are usually refered to as the Mean Green anyway.

---The students enrolled need to be more involved..... after all they are the future's alums as well. Better support will give us better recognition and actually help our degrees to be better known and recognized in the market place. They need to understand that.

Some people just sluff this off as the same ol thing we've talked about for a long time, i.e. logo, helmets, colors, traditions, etc. We all discuss it, argue it, but always seem to wonder if the admin and athlectic department are fully aware of it. Personally, after reading that, I FINALLY feel better about these issues. This has got to be the first time (at least that I know of) those people, TD, Dr.B, RV, etc have PUBLICALLY recognized there's a problem, that it's potentional is completely under estimated, and can finally visualize that if we work together to change these things, it will launch the programs (athletics and student body "socialness"). In short, I just want to shout "FINALLY, THEY GET IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" Let's move this thing forward!

Go Mean Green!

Chuck Fuller - talked about the history of the University and how we should include more history to our unique programs to new students

Rick Villareal (Athletics Director) - Talked about how the university needs to make a "personal connection with students," ,,,,, He stated that "Traditions are only traditions when they are practiced," and he talked about how we need to hook freshman into athletics and the university as freshman.

Gretchen Bataille (President) - ....How we should possibly have a website post board to inform students of our traditions and events. ......Have more venues for students (events before games...etc)

Todd Dodge (my favorite speaker..this guy can speak!) - He talked about how we've had a problem with uniforms and we've changed the helmet 5 times since 1991. He wants to make a helmet that we can be proud of that won't be changed atleast for 10 years. ....Wants to build the program to make it the Team of the D/FW Metroplex and one that students come to watch the Mean Green play and not the visiting team.

Hank Dickenson - He stressed that we should reach out to incoming freshman and inform them of our traditions and how games are fun to go to.

I was comparing what the others said to what I said and it seems we were mostly on the same page in one respect and that was "The incoming students are our future". I right off mentioned that a tradition is something that is handed down but that if you don't have someone recieving it then your simply throwing it away, much like a track athlete would do to the baton if there was no one there to hand it to for the next leg in the race. I mentioned a recent graduate I had met from NT who was born and raised in Denton and knew very little of our past or our traditions. We have done a poor job promoting our traditions and teaching them to the graduates of the future. I also mentioned that a tradition doesn't get passed on if no one experiences it for themselves. If you never go to bonfire, you'll never tell your neighbor/roommate/classmate about it. The students need to be sold on the fact that attending these events and ones like them is the thing to do. I also mentioned that we don't sell the fact that we have some very unique traditions that are very different from other schools(handbuilt bonfire, canon, motorized spirit bell etc). As for coach Dodge, he right out stated very plainly that he will be doing his part because he's bringing in an EXCITING brand of football that people will want to come and see. It's this effort

from coach Dodge which the university will get it's biggest opportunity to teach and promote it's traditions to the future. If you give the students/grad/alumni a reason to get excited and PROUD to be Mean Green then the rest will take care of itself.

I finished with the fact that teaching the new kids these traditions and how to carry on these things and getting them to take a heartfelt ownership of them is the cheapest yet most powerful form of investment this university can make to secure success for it's future. When we do this then they will be more willing to come back after graduation to invest and donate once they have made their mark on the world. I spent around $45 at Voertman's the other morning as I usually do when I come up for a visit. I donate each year and I own season tickets and I've been out of school for 17 years now. I'm one of several thousand that do the same each year, who also go out and spread the word about the Mean Green including wearing the colors everywhere we go. I'd wager that most of those who do were the students most active at on-campus activities and athletic events. I said it's getting better but we still have a long way's to go. We are now seeing more and more people wear NT gear, buy license plates and placing NT automobile stickers on their cars, guys have their wedding cakes done in Mean Green, people naming and dressing their pets up after something Mean Green, a wife had her wedding photos taken at Fouts which were shown here on GMG.com, and now one couple wants to request to use Boomer and Limber as their wedding carriage. People are getting more and more involved and coming up with more creative ways to show their Mean Green pride these days. The university simply has to now find a way to build upon that with the grads of the future.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

I read this email to my father and he and I both said the same thing. There is one that doesn't belong in my mind - CF.

I guess I should say that I don't think that FFR belongs there...I'm very happy Rick was there to speak. I was just pointing out the others were University employees and then there was one guy who is one of the best fans in NT history.

Rick, if the helmets go white...will you retire and keep the green helmet...and get a new white helmet?

Edited by JayDub

I guess I should say that I don't think that FFR belongs there...I'm very happy Rick was there to speak. I was just pointing out the others were University employees and then there was one guy who is one of the best fans in NT history.

Rick, if the helmets go white...will you retire and keep the green helmet...and get a new white helmet?

I guess I noticed that FFR was the only one who has a UNT degree; and that is what made him different. I also noticed that Dickenson was the only one from the Hurley/Helwig era; I just naturally assumed that's what everyone was pointing to.

Alumni are every bit as important (if not more) as those others who spoke. Their collegiate loyalty is subject to change as they change employers. Those with UNT degrees will bleed green for life.

Trey,

How about using that new found power of yours to create a sub committee.... filled with caring students and alumni? Then bringing their ideas up to the higher-ups and seeing what we can do to incorporate everything.

(yes, you can razz me about this tomorrow)

I guess I noticed that FFR was the only one who has a UNT degree; and that is what made him different. I also noticed that Dickenson was the only one from the Hurley/Helwig era; I just naturally assumed that's what everyone was pointing to.

Alumni are every bit as important (if not more) as those others who spoke. Their collegiate loyalty is subject to change as they change employers. Those with UNT degrees will bleed green for life.

It was my call to invite FFR. The man simply embodies what it is to be Mean Green. We want to find out what made him the man he is that way we can learn to make more students experience what he had. I am not saying that he is the only alumnus out there like that, but he is one of the ones that stands out.

This was our second meeting as a committee. Our first meeting was merely to decide whether or not the university needed this committee. We all agreed it did and therefore we invited these people to help us figure out changes that needed to be made. As for creating a subcommittee that is out of the question for now. We can't get anything done if we merely increase the size of the committee. It is impossible to please everyone.

All we want is to help preserve our history so that we may have a much better future.

We have some plans at the moment, but I won't reveal any of that yet. I will gladly fill you in as things go along though.

Michael Maher

-Talons

-Proud Member of the Mean Green Family

--GOOD REPORT---

The mascot symbol has changed over time so I rather not use the eagle... besides we are usually refered to as the Mean Green anyway.

Really hate to hear/see this sentiment. As I have said numerous times, we should be very proud of the Eagle as our mascot. The mean green evolution has gone too far. We have been and should remain the Eagles of UNT! If we must keep the mean green reference (which I think is just fine), lets use it as "mean green Eagles" or keep it as defense name ala Nebraska's "black shirt" defense. Mean Green was originally coined for the defense because of Joe Greene being the anchor. Let's get this reference back on track and not refer to us in general as the "mean green" of UNT. If anyone agrees, please chime in.

Really hate to hear/see this sentiment. As I have said numerous times, we should be very proud of the Eagle as our mascot. The mean green evolution has gone too far. We have been and should remain the Eagles of UNT! If we must keep the mean green reference (which I think is just fine), lets use it as "mean green Eagles" or keep it as defense name ala Nebraska's "black shirt" defense. Mean Green was originally coined for the defense because of Joe Greene being the anchor. Let's get this reference back on track and not refer to us in general as the "mean green" of UNT. If anyone agrees, please chime in.

For the seemingly the thousandth time, the mean green name was not generated because of Joe Greene. The defense in the late 60's was known as the "Mean Green" referring to the school color. Joe Greene played on that defense. Joe did not get the nickname of "Mean Joe Greene" until he was in the pros. I think NT has taken a great approach using the unique "Mean Green" as a team name instead of the most overused and unimaginative moniker (Eagles) in the USA. The "Eagles" remain the University's mascot and provide another identifier and a length to the historical progression of the University.

----I think you misunderstood what I was attempting to say. I too really like the Eagle and am in no way trying to kill it off. We have used several different Eagle symbols through the years (including the "worm" version, the present one , the Scrappy look, etc. ) so this is my thinking on using the letters NT. I don't want the helmet symbol constantly changing..

----Part II is that there are several Eagles so just seeing an Eagle on the helmet does not immediately identify which university is being represented. I absolutely am not suggesting we use the title Mean Green on the helmets..... just a interlocked NT which would be quickly identifiable. I can't think of another NT university anywhere, especially wearing Green. We don't need to copycats necessarily but Tech and A&M also use letters and UT sort of does since their Longhorn looks like a T. I just prefer something we can stay with for a long time and I don't want to look like the Philly Eagles either (which are also green).

--- When I attended NT in the middle 1960's the term Mean Green was rarely used and only came into common use after Joe Greene appeared... We were almost always refered to as Eagles.

_________EDIT

The above post is partly wrong... Joe Green was called "Mean Joe Green" while at North Texas, at least his senior year. He had that name when Pittsbrough drafted him in Rd #1 and lived up to it .... he was not really a mean person just a tough guy to keep out of the backfield.

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66

----I think you misunderstood what I was attempting to say. I too really like the Eagle and am in no way trying to kill it off. We have used several different Eagle symbols through the years (including the "worm" version, the present one , the Scrappy look, etc. ) so this is my thinking on using the letters NT. I don't want the helmet symbol constantly changing..

----Part II is that there are several Eagles so just seeing an Eagle on the helmet does not immediately identify which university is being represented. I absolutely am not suggesting we use the title Mean Green on the helmets..... just a interlocked NT which would be quickly identifiable. I can't think of another NT university anywhere, especially wearing Green. We don't need to copycats necessarily but Tech and A&M also use letters and UT sort of does since their Longhorn looks like a T. I just prefer something we can stay with for a long time and I don't want to look like the Philly Eagles either (which are also green).

--- When I attended NT in the middle 1960's the term Mean Green was rarely used and only came into common use after Joe Greene appeared... We were almost always refered to as Eagles.

_________EDIT

The above post is partly wrong... Joe Green was called "Mean Joe Green" while at North Texas, at least his senior year. He had that name when Pittsbrough drafted him in Rd #1 and lived up to it .... he was not really a mean person just a tough guy to keep out of the backfield.

He may have been called "Mean Joe Greene" while at NT but if he was it was not widely used. It was a name that was developed in the pros. The defense as stated in the late 60's was the "Mean Green". I attended NT at the time so I have first hand knowledge, there have also been interviews with Joe with him denying that his name was the source of the "Mean Green" term. Fry brought in the use of "Mean Green" as a team name along with the flying worm and lime green uniforms.

It was my call to invite FFR. The man simply embodies what it is to be Mean Green. We want to find out what made him the man he is that way we can learn to make more students experience what he had. I am not saying that he is the only alumnus out there like that, but he is one of the ones that stands out.

This was our second meeting as a committee. Our first meeting was merely to decide whether or not the university needed this committee. We all agreed it did and therefore we invited these people to help us figure out changes that needed to be made. As for creating a subcommittee that is out of the question for now. We can't get anything done if we merely increase the size of the committee. It is impossible to please everyone.

All we want is to help preserve our history so that we may have a much better future.

We have some plans at the moment, but I won't reveal any of that yet. I will gladly fill you in as things go along though.

Michael Maher

-Talons

-Proud Member of the Mean Green Family

<_< Exclusive committees are only full of exclusive ideas. You can't dictate traditions, they will either continue to happen because they are meaningful and enjoyed or new ones will evolve because times and people change.