So How Is This Game Fixed?

Zeke

Warning, the video has some disturbing images in it.

So what can Dodge change in this video for at the least a "better" outcome. Many of the plays you simply have to say that we were outplayed by bigger, stronger, faster. There are a large amount of plays, however, that I think could be handled better by the new staff.

The scariest part of the video..................the (lack of) tackling.

So what will Todge do to keep a game like this (and like OU) more of a contest?

Edited by Zeke

well, from the looks of it, probably should have broken Aaron Ross's (#31) legs at the beginning of the game. That would have helped. Tackling is also a key part of playing football. That would have been nice as well.

I think the thing that hurts us most in games like that is field position. We start in the shadow of our own goal line, and they start at mid field. Pretty tough for ANY team to win a game like that. Of course, you have to move the ball to gain better field position which is something we havent done in 2 years...

How to fix this-

First, do not play the video-I am trying to forget this game. I really do not think any team could

have played well against this Texas team and their NFL players on this day!

Second, change your offense from a running game that any team in America could defend, into a

quick strike spread offense that will stop the stacked lines and the multiple blitz packages.

Third, develop confidence and a will to win attitude with the players. Look at Bosie State against

Oklahoma, take about confidence!

Last point, recruit kids that fit your offense and defense, and give the kids time to grow into your

system.

How to fix this-

First, do not play the video-I am trying to forget this game. I really do not think any team could

have played well against this Texas team and their NFL players on this day!

Second, change your offense from a running game that any team in America could defend, into a

quick strike spread offense that will stop the stacked lines and the multiple blitz packages.

Third, develop confidence and a will to win attitude with the players. Look at Bosie State against

Oklahoma, take about confidence!

Last point, recruit kids that fit your offense and defense, and give the kids time to grow into your

system.

Ultimate way to fix is never ever schedule the 'Horns again. The beating and embarrassment are not worth the $$$$ gained.

Ultimate way to fix is never ever schedule the 'Horns again. The beating and embarrassment are not worth the $$$$ gained.

Strongly disagree Dallas Green! If the horse throws you, get back on and ride it again. If not, you will forever be afraid of it. I say lets get healed (now in progress with TD) and get back on that horse in 2010. The outcome will be much different I am sure. I hope we schedule Texas again. In case I did not mention, how about 2010?! My prediction is that we will beat them by then!!

The video would just motivate me as a player to get up and "ride the horns" again.

Dodge will implement a completely different gameplan for this team that will include terms such as "gang tackling", "pursuit", and "wrapping up your tackle" that were not demonstrated in this video. The lack of said terms made that video look like a pin-ball game the way the UT players were running around with the ball. :blink:

Oh NO!!!!! Not a whining thread from the 1988 robbery.

ENOUGH. We got jobbed... 20 YEARS AGO!!! I am as big a North Texas fan as anyone else...but let this go. Not healthy.

So far there is one person in this thread thinking about that game.....................guess which one?

Many suggestions have already been stated and the ball is rolling in the right direction for it to happen. However I would go so far as to say in order to fix it you go out there and play your OOC schedule like the Mean Green played during the '88 season. Play with reckless abandon and confidence knowing you can win, that you belong and accept nothing less. A small pictoral on those first 3 weeks of that year.

hsentvstechfinalscore_256x192.jpg

First they went up to Lubottocks and got a win. Kieth Chapman hit field goals of 45, 48 and 55 yards to help seal the deal.

cashnontdcatch883_225x168.jpg

Next they played tU to the wire requiring the horns to have to rely on the referee's to give them the W.

ttvsubweekoftugame_250x187.jpg

They knew they belonged with the big boys when they played with confidence. This was confirmed when we saw on the local news what the same Texas Tech team North Texas had just beaten two weeks before had just done to Baylor(6-5 on the season) the same night the Mean Green were in Austin. At the end of the year NT would also beat SWC foe Rice 33-17 in their season finale.

You play your OOC schedule like that and the rest will take care of itself.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

They knew they belonged with the big boys when they played with confidence. This was confirmed when we saw on the local news what the same Texas Tech team North Texas had just beaten two weeks before had just done to Baylor(6-5 on the season) the same night the Mean Green were in Austin. At the end of the year NT would also beat SWC foe Rice 33-17 in their season finale.

You play your OOC schedule like that and the rest will take care of itself.

Rick

While agree with the spirit of which you speak, the "big boys" you listed finished with the following records in 1988:

Texas - 4-7

Texas Tech - 5-6

Rice - 0-11

Baylor - 6-5

Not exactly an impressive group of teams. Don't get me wrong, I agree we played well that season. We lost to the 2 best 1AA schools on our schedule in the regular season (SFA and NWst) and a solid Marshall team in the playoffs. I'd also agree we probably would have fared well in the SWC.

But we weren't playing against the Tech, OU, and Texas teams of today.

Give Corky the same resources any of those programs had at their disposal and imagine the results? There are so few of you who were around back then who do not realize how poorly funded a program we were at the time. This is possible why folks like you who trivialize that teams accomplishments by simply comparing their overall records. It's easy looking at it on paper. You should have been there to see it for yourself. There is nothing wrong at all going out and playing like you belong on the same field with them. Nothing at all. Dr. Hurley and his administration operated as if they could have completely cared less if we even fielded an athletic program. The results of that year in Mean Green athletics were simply amazing considering how little care the AD dept was shown by the university. NT earned it's only berth to the NCAA tournament in basketball earlier that spring and then the football season later that year. It was an awesome year and why it's remembered still to this day by those who were there. The only season I would say even came close since that year was in '02?

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

Give Corky the same resources any of those programs had at their disposal and imagine the results? There are so few of you who were around back then who do not realize how poorly funded a program we were at the time which is why folks like you try and trivialize that teams accomplishments. It's easy looking at it on paper. You should have been there to see it for yourself. Dr. Hurley and his administration operated as if they could have completely cared less if we even fielded an athletic program. The results of that year in Mean Green athletics were simply amazing considering how little care the AD dept was shown by the university. NT earned it's only berth to the NCAA tournament in basketball earlier that spring and then the football season later that year. It was an awesome year and why it's remembered still to this day by those who were there. The only season I would say even came close to that year was in '02?

Rick

No doubt it was a good year, especially given the resources. Not trying to take away from your experience, just pointing out those were admittedly bad SWC teams we beat that year. I would have loved to have been there to see it myself.

'02 was a lot of fun for me. As was the beat-down we handed Baylor in 03 in front of our largest crowd ever at Fouts.

I think it can and will get better than it was in 88 and 02. I think it's closer than many think (and further than the kool-aide drinkers hope) :D

I agree with FFR, play with confidence! Coach Dodge will develop confidence in his team!

All of the past "big" games were alot more fun when NT would win. So, lets prepare for

Oklahoma! Coach Dodge has 15 practice sessions for spring practice, to install the spread with

the current players. Can he and his staff accomplish this goal? Next, the fall practice, 2 a days,

and the new recruits comming in. Will this team be ready for Oklahoma? I fully beleive

Coach Dodge will have his team ready! This team will beleive in themselves!

Not trying to take away from your experience, just pointing out those were admittedly bad SWC teams we beat that year.

I appreciate that. I'll give you that the three teams were not the greatest. But do realize at one point we were treating them like we were suppose to treat them. We were up 21-7 at one point in the third quarter against Texas. Had we been given the fumble we recovered on their 24 at the start of the game, as well as Cash' 1st TD not been allowed as it shouldn't have been, that game could have easily been 28-0 by the 3rd quarter. Against Rice EVERYONE on our bench played as it was over early. Tech on the other hand was a struggle all the way through and were up on us by 3 TD's at one point but they were far from being a bad SWC team. Even though they completed their season 5-6 overall, they did finish 4-3 in the SWC which included a 1 point loss to a 9-3 U of H team. They then finished with a 3 point loss to a 10-2 Ok State team in the Coca Cola Classic in Tokyo Japan later that year. 5-6 overall, yeah, but not a bad team by any means.

Rick

I appreciate that. I'll give you that the three teams were not the greatest. But do realize at one point we were treating them like we were suppose to treat them. We were up 21-7 at one point in the third quarter against Texas. Had we been given the fumble we recovered on their 24 at the start of the game, as well as Cash' 1st TD not been allowed as it shouldn't have been, that game could have easily been 28-0 by the 3rd quarter. Against Rice EVERYONE on our bench played as it was over early. Tech on the other hand was a struggle all the way through and were up on us by 3 TD's at one point but they were far from being a bad SWC team. Even though they completed their season 5-6 overall, they did finish 4-3 in the SWC which included a 1 point loss to a 9-3 U of H team. They then finished with a 3 point loss to a 10-2 Ok State team in the Coca Cola Classic in Tokyo Japan later that year. 5-6 overall, yeah, but not a bad team by any means.

Rick

Well stated in this and your other posts on the topic, Rick.

I heart the mean green so much.