Excited About Our Recruiting Class So Far

BonfireBrian

Well then, there's the main problem. If a North Texas graduate can't believe it, then why should we expect the recruits that we go after to believe that North Texas is a perfectly viable option to A$M...or any other D-1 school in Texas for that matter.

It isn't delusional to believe in your school. If we're such an unworthy school, then Todd Dodge would have said "no thanks" to us, just like he did to Rice.

We all had better start doing our part to promote this football program. If we expect Todd Dodge to do it all for us, then we'll end up missing another golden opportunity to move forward like we did with Hayden Fry.

When Hayden Fry took over as head coach back in 73, you couldn't have made him say that A$M (or any other SWC school) was better than North Texas...even if you held a gun to his head.

We must all have the same mind-set.....it's worked well for A$M all these years.

Good Post!

Rick

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Remember the day before you began to get to know your wife? Say you know her as well as you know Rachel Ray right now. You're not going to choose (marry) Ray JUST because she makes a better meal, are you?

Might be a different story if we were talking Giada de Laurentiis...

Well then, there's the main problem. If a North Texas graduate can't believe it, then why should we expect the recruits that we go after to believe that North Texas is a perfectly viable option to A$M...or any other D-1 school in Texas for that matter.

It isn't delusional to believe in your school. If we're such an unworthy school, then Todd Dodge would have said "no thanks" to us, just like he did to Rice.

We all had better start doing our part to promote this football program. If we expect Todd Dodge to do it all for us, then we'll end up missing another golden opportunity to move forward like we did with Hayden Fry.

When Hayden Fry took over as head coach back in 73, you couldn't have made him say that A$M (or any other SWC school) was better than North Texas...even if you held a gun to his head.

We must all have the same mind-set.....it's worked well for A$M all these years.

Good post, Silver Eagle...

At UNT, we also need many of our most faithful fans & alums to drop SMU as their (apparent) model and start thinking up along the lines of TTech, TAMU and UT. If we aim high, no telling what we'll end up hitting as goals, but for crissakes' folks, please do consider allowing SMU to disappear from your mindsets (forever) as a school we need to emulate. They have as many NCAA violations as any other D1-A school last count and (of course) they also have its only Death Penalty. Jeez, anyone out there have Bonny and Clyde as their role models, too? :(

Guest GrayEagleOne

Good post, Silver Eagle...

At UNT, we also need many of our most faithful fans & alums to drop SMU as their (apparent) model and start thinking up along the lines of TTech, TAMU and UT. If we aim high, no telling what we'll end up hitting as goals, but for crissakes' folks, please do consider allowing SMU to disappear from your mindsets (forever) as a school we need to emulate. They have as many NCAA violations as any other D1-A school last count and (of course) they also have its only Death Penalty. Jeez, anyone out there have Bonny and Clyde as their role models, too? :(

Jim, I'm guessing that you keep doing that just to piss me off.

First of all, who among us has advocated emulating SMU? I'm about as close to being a horse hugger as any NT alum and I've NEVER endorsed doing anything like SMU does it. The only thing that I'm a little envious of at SMU is their football stadium and it took them about 90 years to get a decent stadium of their own.

We can't and won't ever be like SMU and TCU. They are monied, private, and highly selective. We are state (with only a $63 million endowment), public, and can't be too selective unless and until we reach our capacity (supposedly 41,000). That doesn't mean that we are compelled to hate either university but most of the gmg.com posters seem compelled to loathe any and every thing that they do, especially SMU. Do we feel better? Some probably do but personally I've never felt better when I've tried to belittle anyone.

You speak of the Death Penalty. Do you realize that there may not be any undergraduates that were even alive when that happened? If it had happened to North Texas and I was a current undergraduate, I'd be spittin' mad if someone held that against me. Even 99% of the administration has moved on. I think that we should, too.

Frankly, you know that SMU wasn't much worse than a multitude of other colleges during that era; they just got caught. They deserved the penalty, paid the price, and now it's time to move on.

First of all, who among us has advocated emulating SMU? I'm about as close to being a horse hugger as any NT alum and I've NEVER endorsed doing anything like SMU does it. The only thing that I'm a little envious of at SMU is their football stadium and it took them about 90 years to get a decent stadium of their own.

We can't and won't ever be like SMU and TCU. They are monied, private, and highly selective. We are state (with only a $63 million endowment), public, and can't be too selective unless and until we reach our capacity (supposedly 41,000). That doesn't mean that we are compelled to hate either university but most of the gmg.com posters seem compelled to loathe any and every thing that they do, especially SMU. Do we feel better? Some probably do but personally I've never felt better when I've tried to belittle anyone.

You speak of the Death Penalty. Do you realize that there may not be any undergraduates that were even alive when that happened? If it had happened to North Texas and I was a current undergraduate, I'd be spittin' mad if someone held that against me. Even 99% of the administration has moved on. I think that we should, too.

Frankly, you know that SMU wasn't much worse than a multitude of other colleges during that era; they just got caught. They deserved the penalty, paid the price, and now it's time to move on.

I work around the "new and improved" SMU students every weekend. Screw them AND the generation that got the death penalty.

Minor point, but what makes you think SMU is highly selective? Our private neighbors keep this myth going but I have never seen anything to support it. Most students that can get into NT can get into Baylor, SMU or TCU if the money is available. Many continue to believe if it cost a lot more it must be much better but having gone to both privates and state schools I think the difference is grossly overstated.

Guest GrayEagleOne

Minor point, but what makes you think SMU is highly selective? Our private neighbors keep this myth going but I have never seen anything to support it. Most students that can get into NT can get into Baylor, SMU or TCU if the money is available. Many continue to believe if it cost a lot more it must be much better but having gone to both privates and state schools I think the difference is grossly overstated.

The terminology comes from the Princeton Review and U.S. News & World Report. While their figures are not overwhelming they are nevertheless pretty good.

35% of SMU's sturdents finished in the Top 10% of their class. UNT had 19%.

70% of SMU's students finished in the Top 25% of their class. UNT had 48%.

We almost catch them on the upper half though. 91% for SMU; 86% for UNT.

We are considered selective but not highly or very selective. We take about 70% of our applicants while SMU takes just over half.

SMU has a good academic reputation as does TCU and Baylor. I've never been to a private college but I'd say that you are right in that about 90% of those accepted at North Texas could also get in SMU, TCU or Baylor.

The terminology comes from the Princeton Review and U.S. News & World Report. While their figures are not overwhelming they are nevertheless pretty good.

35% of SMU's sturdents finished in the Top 10% of their class. UNT had 19%.

70% of SMU's students finished in the Top 25% of their class. UNT had 48%.

We almost catch them on the upper half though. 91% for SMU; 86% for UNT.

We are considered selective but not highly or very selective. We take about 70% of our applicants while SMU takes just over half.

SMU has a good academic reputation as does TCU and Baylor. I've never been to a private college but I'd say that you are right in that about 90% of those accepted at North Texas could also get in SMU, TCU or Baylor.

Shhhhhhh. If this ever became public knowledge they would have absolutely NO advantage over us.

Honest to goodness, Jack, I had no earthly intentions of pissing you off with the SMU post. And Jack, you've known me almost since I graduated from NT and you (more than anyone) would probably know this thing I have with SMU has been almost life long--not an over-night thing.

Also, Jack, my late sainted mother (and God Almighty knows how much I miss her every day) used to tell her "only-est" son, uh, Jimmy: "Son, you could make the Pope cuss on Easter Sunday." :blink:

Give my warmest regards to your lovely wife, Jessica, Jack. Hope both of you are in good health. Also look forward to smoking the peace-pipe with you and a few other of my long time friends (fellow alums) who I've (apparently) pissed off and those who I may need to "esplain" myself on some past posts (at least to those who will smoke that peace-pipe with me). :rolleyes::)

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Honestly speaking academically SMU is rated much higher than UNT....however the things that makes SMU very big is there outstanding business school and some other of there nationally recognized schools. Unfortunately having the better music school or art school doesnt get as much notoriety as the business programs and etc. However the gap is closing very fast so if SMU has all this scoreboard on us then it really wont be for long.

Edited by Green Mean

Honestly speaking academically SMU is rated much higher than UNT....however the things that makes SMU very big is there outstanding business school and some other of there nationally recognized schools. Unfortunately having the better music school or art school doesnt get as much notoriety as the business programs and etc. However the gap is closing very fast so if SMU has all this scoreboard on us then it really wont be for long.

I remember well how the managing partner at my former accounting firm would often praise the UNT School of Business and rountinely state that Texas-Austin and North Texas had the two best business schools in Texas. I guess an individuals assessment of the quality of a university and its separate programs can often vary from the opinions of some biased New York publication. By the way, that managing partner I'm referring to is an SMU graduate.

I remember well how the managing partner at my former accounting firm would often praise the UNT School of Business and rountinely state that Texas-Austin and North Texas had the two best business schools in Texas. I guess an individuals assessment of the quality of a university and its separate programs can often vary from the opinions of some biased New York publication. By the way, that managing partner I'm referring to is an SMU graduate.

No doubt about that brother. Many people, including some of our own, seem to be unable to recognize the fact that we have had a big-time accounting department at North Texas for decades. If the big money New York area press tells people something enough times they tend to eventually take those opinions as fact. Kind of sad for people who are old enough to remember when Texans generally figured those things out for themselves. On the other hand, I really do wish that we would work on raising the profile and quality of our MBA program. We seem to have many things already in place to become a highly recognized program, and MBA rankings seem to be the only criteria that many people use to gauge a business school these days.

Oh by no means am i putting the UNT business school and etc down...I was just saying that UT and SMU do have very highly regarded programs nationally by people and by publications. I know the business school is very well known and very highly rearded in this region and in this state. In fact last I heard within 5 years or so they are planning to get a new business building and basically make their business program just as good as UT and that would be great since UT business school is consistently ranked top 5 in the nation every year.