Chance To “improve” Radio Coverage

El Paso Eagle

Actually, the DFW Christian station KWRD (100.7) is one that many of us in the West O' Plex (FW, Tarrant, Parker, Johnson Counties, etc) can pick up its reception pretty good; yet (strangely enough) those of us out west cannot pick up KTCK 1310 The Ticket after 6:00 PM. As far as KWRD, it also doesn't hurt that our working cooperation with that station also opens up their Longview radio affiliate, too, to help us get some East Texas coverage.

Of course, the internet is always available, but HS kids in strategic Texas recruiting areas like Houston/Galveston, the Golden Triangle (Beaumont, Port Arthur, Orange, etc), Austin/San Antonio and El Paso (that one for you, El Paso Eagle :); anyway, the kids we need to hear the UNT story and our Game Day play by play coverage are (most likely) not going to be pulling up our games on the internet.

I think UNT should first focus on our state's largest city and that would be Houston. We've made attempts in the past with the Houston market but for whatever reason ($ ?) this has never been followed up on as to keep it going on an annual basis.

I am sure Rick V would not mind if any of the local NT Exes chapters of all the aforementioned Texas cities would take the bull by the horns and for each of their respective chapters to help find (1) a radio station that will work with UNT with their local programming in the Fall and (2) to identify local financial sponsors from each of the above listed cities which the local NT Exes chapters could be vauable in helping UNT to line those up.

I have a Baylor football souvenir program from years ago and their long list of Texas radio stations that covered BU football back in that day was quite impressive. I'm sure they have not changed much of that coverage, either.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Both 100.7 and 88.1 are very strong and clear stations. Try listening to the Tech (95 something...The Range) and A&M (some AM station that you can't hear when the sun goes down) affiliates. Even UT's DFW affiliate is not as clear or strong as UNT's.

Forget "mainstream". Be happy with the stations that carry UNT in the metroplex...they are very good. I once picked up a UNT game way out between Olney and Seymour thanks to the 88.1 signal.

Edited by Tramp96

A Houston station did pick up NT football games the past two seasons. In fact, I was able to listen to a game or two while driving around Beaumont with the wife. Reception wasn't the best, but you could follow the game. With Dodge being from the Beaumont/Port Arthur area and all of the press he's been receiving, it would be great to have a station down their pick up the games.

If our current stations reach across DFW, the issue is getting the word out about them. Do KNTU or KWRD have bumper stickers that advertise the fact they are the place to hear UNT football? If not, maybe GoMeanGreen could help the cause by leaning on them to produce some.

There is a sister Christian Radio station to 100.4 in Houston. I listened to one of the games last year while I was just north of Huntsville. I had good reception, in fact I could get both stations at the same time (DFW station was not as strong). They both had the same programming during the day. I would assume both will continue to carry UNT football next year.

There is a sister Christian Radio station

MOTORIN!

sorry...

Ive listened to a game or two on the Houston station, though I couldn't tell you what it was as I just happened upon it.

UNT needs a billboard in Houston. maybe one heading out of town towards Dallas on 45. Im sure we will see more of this with Dr Bataille in office, as she has made increasing our visibility on a national level- not just regional- a top priority.

Edited by Eagle1855

On a related note, what would it take to get all of our games televised on FoxSW?

Nothing builds a fan following and recruiting advantage like television exposure.

I believe thats the problem mid major schools like us have is that networks generally tend not to show those games cuz their mentality is no one wants to watch them...which is true but it can be changed if all or more of those games are televised.

Edited by Green Mean

I believe thats the problem mid major schools like us have is that networks generally tend not to show those games cuz their mentality is no one wants to watch them...which is true but it can be changed if all or more of those games are televised.

Yet, FOX SW has Southland games on every week. I think their airtime is open to the highest bidder.

We would probably have to guarantee advertising revenue, I don't know.

Who on this board knows better how media contracts work?

....and it would also be beneficial to have the Todd Dodge Coaches show on that same station.

On a related note, what would it take to get all of our games televised on FoxSW?

Nothing builds a fan following and recruiting advantage like television exposure.

We'd have to join the Big XII :disgust:

Something kind of interesting to speculate at though: two years ago the TCU vs OU game was nationally televised on abc, and I think the year before that the Houston vs OU was also nationally televised on abc. With us getting a new coach and a lot of press do we have a shot at getting a nationally televised game?

We'd have to join the Big XII :disgust:

Something kind of interesting to speculate at though: two years ago the TCU vs OU game was nationally televised on abc, and I think the year before that the Houston vs OU was also nationally televised on abc. With us getting a new coach and a lot of press do we have a shot at getting a nationally televised game?

I live in OKC so I'll be seeing the game on TV. I can also usually catch at least one UNT game a year on local tv up here. What's funny is how few Oklahoma State games are shown on tv in OKC.