Redshirts

adman

Any thoughts as to which, if any, of last seasons redshirts that could/should have impact this coming season?

Nat Tune, Nick Foster, Kelvin Drake, Sam Owusu-Hemeng, Draylen Ross, Marquis Sykes and Kail Krider are my top choices to make a splash next year. A couple of these may have lost their red-shirt status (such as Drake), but I think most will come in as RS freshen for this Spring practice.

Guest GrayEagleOne

Tune, Foster, Owusu-Heming, and Santiago. I think that Drake has already lost his RS as a member of the green team. One that might do far better than I ever dreamed of is Charlie Neal. He was a misfit in Dickey's system but he could thrive under Dodge.

Tune, Foster, Owusu-Heming, and Santiago.  I think that Drake has already lost his RS as a member of the green team.  One that might do far better than I ever dreamed of is Charlie Neal.  He was a misfit in Dickey's system but he could thrive under Dodge.

I still haven't heard if E. Santiago is still on the team. I never saw him on the sideline this last year.

Tune, Foster, Owusu-Heming, and Santiago.  I think that Drake has already lost his RS as a member of the green team.  One that might do far better than I ever dreamed of is Charlie Neal.  He was a misfit in Dickey's system but he could thrive under Dodge.

What position is Neal? How was he a misfit?

Yes we are. The good news for Coach Dodge is there is talent. Coach Dickey did not burn a lot of redshirts and did the program right in that particular regard. Santiago will be joining guys like Marquis Sykes, Craig Robertson, Robbie Gordon and others who should raise the level of play.

Yes we are. The good news for Coach Dodge is there is talent. Coach Dickey did not burn a lot of redshirts and did the program right in that particular regard. Santiago will be joining guys like Marquis Sykes, Craig Robertson, Robbie Gordon and others who should raise the level of play.

Harry (or anyone), do you have a bio on Santiago and some of the other redshirts, but mostly Santiago.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Eddrick Gilmore was listed as 6-5, 250lbs. What if he shows up at 280-300lbs-- do you keep him at DE/LB ?

Esteban Santiago was listed at 6-5, 275lbs. Was a HM all-state at OT and DT in HS. Came into NT to play DT. I thought OT was a better fit for him.

Another player that came in with Santiago was from Houston, Menard Matthew, 6-5, 275lbs, was a DT in HS, then was switched to OT during 2 adays last summer.

Any updates on Josh Alexander, the OT that got hurt, then had surgery?

Charlie

Guest GrayEagleOne

Santiago is from El Paso. 6-3, 290 range. My understanding is that he will be asked to play offensive guard for us. He had an very impressive first year on the scout team and appears to be a major contributor for us down the road.

With the new regime, I'm hoping that we utilize the talent where it is best suited, not where it is needed because of a recruiting deficit. I believe that Santiago made all-state mention because of his defense. We need defensive linemen badly.

Another misassigned player IMO is Venegas. Another all-state DEFENSIVE player who was placed out of position. If you'll recheck your tapes/DVDs you'll find that he had more 'lookout' blocks than any other lineman. At least I found that to be true. But, as a former all-state wrestler I think that he'd be a natural for a defensive tackle.

We don't know who the DL coach will be but I hope that he is able to give these two a look at DT.