NICE !

Will to Win

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No one is asking TD to recruit outside this region. Hell, DD didn't for the most part? I didn't expect this hire to raise an eyebrow nationally, nor did I expect us hiring Jay Norvell to do that either, although it is being talked about nationally with message boards from California, Arizona and now CNN is showing it across their screen tonight too. Can we ask for more than that?

This was a regional hire for our regional recruiting bed. Media wise this was THE story in Texas today...SUCCESS!!!!

As to the "donor" question, other than Warranch, I can't imagine there are many outside donors at that level. But if there are, we just took the first step in finding them just as we did Warranch.

Rick

Guest Aquila_Viridis

I have to say in this case I am not one of the believers. I will have to wait to be a believer. That will occur when we have a team that is demonstrably talented, intense, disciplined and well-prepared. On a certain level, Coach Dodge has proven that he can put together such teams, but these are relative terms. The points of comparison will be higher, even when you are talking about the Sun Belt teams.

I do of course hope he has the greatest success as a HC at the Divsion 1A college level. We need it.

I have to say in this case I am not one of the believers. I will have to wait to be a believer. That will occur when we have a team that is demonstrably talented, intense, disciplined and well-prepared. On a certain level, Coach Dodge has proven that he can put together such teams, but these are relative terms. The points of comparison will be higher, even when you are talking about the Sun Belt teams.

I do of course hope he has the greatest success as a HC at the Divsion 1A college level. We need it.

This kinda reminds me of when NBA owners drafted a High School "Star" high in the lottery drafts. Some panned out , most didn't. While I don't believe anyone should "believe in Dodge'' , or any other coach NT had brought in for that matter. I do feel he has what , like the NBA HS Kids had , POTENTIAL. TD may or not pan out , but I think it's safe to say that he has the POTENTIAL to turn our program around. Something that we wouldn't of had with DD for the next year.

I'm not sure if there could be any more media generated in one day than if Plummer was caught on tape streaking across the roof of the Super Pit holding up a sign to admit he was coming out of the closet.

Damn what a great day this was.  One of my favorite parts of the press conference was the:  "...we call it PUT THE BALL IN THE PAINT,.......The name of the game is to Score Points!....."

What a nice change of pace this should be.  By the way, Channel 4 did a fairly good report on the reaction in Southlake about the news. 

It's all GOOD, and all GREEN!

Rick

Gee, thanks Rick for the vision of Plummer... ohmy.gif

I also liked Dodge's quotes about "Score points" instead of "keep it close till the 4th quarter" like we were used to hearing. Fans want entertainment on the football field...this will be different for us.

As for the Ch. 4 coverage, they interviewed a mom in Southlake that said they were sad to lose him as a coach, that "all the players loved to play for him"

May not be a topic of conversation on the East or West Coast, but TD to UNT is certainly a hugh topic of conversation where it counts (The Republic of Texas and surrounding Territories)! Threads are on the OU, Texas, A&M, SMU, TCU, Tech, La. Tech, Houston, UTEP and Baylor boards among others plus newspaper articles & talk shows. Bet he's also a hot topic among more than a few high school footballers. It will be interesting to see if UNT is now on the radar of some recruit that had no interested before today's announcement. rolleyes.gif

Edited by MeanGreen61

Guest Aquila_Viridis

This kinda reminds me of when NBA owners drafted a High School "Star" high in the lottery drafts. Some panned out , most didn't. While I don't believe anyone should "believe in Dodge'' , or any other coach NT had brought in for that matter. I do feel he has what , like the NBA HS Kids had , POTENTIAL. TD may or not pan out , but I think it's safe to say that he has the POTENTIAL to turn our program around. Something that we wouldn't of had with DD for the next year.

Oh I totally agree this is better than keeping Dickey. But that is not the right point of comparison. In fact there is no reason to compare to any alternatives now because what's done is done. All the optimism on here is really encouraging. I'm just not feeling it. They are not selling the green coolaid up here. If I drink some of that wonderful hydrocodone cough syrup instead though, I will probably be feeling it then.

Oh I totally agree this is better than keeping Dickey. But that is not the right point of comparison. In fact there is no reason to compare to any alternatives now because what's done is done. All the optimism on here is really encouraging. I'm just not feeling it. They are not selling the green coolaid up here. If I drink some of that wonderful hydrocodone cough syrup instead though, I will probably be feeling it then.

Ive seen it clear,purple,yellow and red... Time to go find some in GREEN laugh.gif

May not be a topic of conversation on the East or West Coast, but TD to UNT is certainly a hugh topic of conversation where it counts (The Republic of Texas and surrounding Territories)! Threads are on the OU, Texas, A&M, SMU, TCU, Tech, La. Tech, Houston, UTEP and Baylor boards among others plus newspaper articles & talk shows. Bet he's also a hot topic among more than a few high school footballers. It will be interesting to see if UNT is now  on the radar of some recruit that had no interested before today's announcement. rolleyes.gif

"The Republic of Texas...I like the sound of that." (John Wayne's line as he played the role of Davey Crocket in "The Alamo", circa 1960 version of the movie)

Many people saying the name NORTH TEXAS today I believe we'd all agree? smile.gif

I thought that was Maher. I wasn't sure that he would fly in from Jonseboro so I was hesitant. He looks great. Mitch is a class act and a great man. I had no clue on Redwine. Makes sense that TD mentioned them at the press confrence.

BTW - its cool having a coach with the initials TD. Seems like the whole point of football - getting TD's.

TD (like touchdown) sounds a lot better than DD (like deputy dog).

I caught a clip of the press conference, and am already impressed. Dodge looks and acts like a division 1-A coach, and makes me realize how bush league Dickey must've looked, especially while constantly ragging on the school. If he does nothing else in his career here, at least it won't look like we hired the town yokel.

I didn't like that he "dodged" questions about who would recruit until December 23rd. Saying that he hadn't completed plans for that or a staff were worrisome. Also, he kept saying he'd be with "his boys" at Southlake until January 23rd? Why?

Many coaches who have jumped in the Division I-A ranks aren't even going to bowl games with their old teams so that they can keep the recruiting going and to get the best assistants available.

Personally, I don't think he understands what's going on yet. I expected they'd have someone to cover during recruiting. I was wrong.

So, now, while he completes his "journey" with Southlake, any other school recruiting the Metroplex - the area you guys think is key to making UNT "great" - has free reign until the last week of December and probably longer since no staff is going to be in place until then.

Edited by The Fake Lonnie Finch

I didn't like that he "dodged" questions about who would recruit until December 23rd.  Saying that he hadn't completed plans for that or a staff were worrisome.  Also, he kept saying he'd be with "his boys" at Southlake until January 23rd?  Why? 

Did not get to hear the entire PC – but I did hear him speak about getting together with the current players after the holidays. I thing it’s good for him to stay with his current team until the playoff area over for them (December 23rd if they make the finals – Never heard January 23rd). I think he will have a good relationship with HC coaches because he will play off the “I’m one of you”, and by staying with his HS team he is showing respect for the HS game.

A couple of things I'm encouraged by:

He seems to be making an effort to talk up the need for a good rapport w/Texas HS coaches. This can only work in UNT's favor.

It looks like he will embrace and trumpet UNT's traditions, and hopefully solicit input and contributions from former players and coaches. This also is a building block.

He has spoken about involving the community. Talk about untapped potential in Denton and Denton county. Wow.

Also, as I've mulled over this hire, (and this is total speculation on my part) I can't help but think that this may only be a very big piece in a much larger plan by RV for the UNT FB program with regards to donations, new facilities, etc., because I have trouble believing that TD would take this job without serious commitment to him from RV that those things were in the pipeline.

I may be totally wrong, but I have a gut feeling that there are more big announcements coming soon. I hope so.

I didn't like that he "dodged" questions about who would recruit until December 23rd.  Saying that he hadn't completed plans for that or a staff were worrisome.  Also, he kept saying he'd be with "his boys" at Southlake until January 23rd?  Why? 

Many coaches who have jumped in the Division I-A ranks aren't even going to bowl games with their old teams so that they can keep the recruiting going and to get the best assistants available.  

Personally, I don't think he understands what's going on yet.  I expected they'd have someone to cover during recruiting.  I was wrong.

So, now, while he completes his "journey" with Southlake, any other school recruiting the Metroplex - the area you guys think is key to making UNT "great" - has free reign until the last week of December and probably longer since no staff is going to be in place until then.

I think the only question he dodged was the one referencing to getting SLC players up here. I can understand that: didn't want to give his current players any guarentees or "shoot downs" about their future.

Any idea what's going on with recruiting right now? Is there absolutely nothing being done until Dodge gets here? While I agree it's discouraging to think that way, I'm not going to pin a negative tag on Dodge. Seems like a situation that most new hires have to deal with to some greater or lesser degree?

He did mention he has an idea of the staff he wants here, but will meet with the current assistants to give them a chance.

I don't recall him saying he's stay with his boys until January 23rd. Maybe you meant December 23rd, when the contract goes into effect? Correct me if I'm wrong...

just my 2 cents,

-gm

Edited by greenminer

Did anyone watch channel 4's report on this last night at 9? They reported on the reaction in Southlake and 99 percent of it was positive. They interviewed one sophomore player that looked as if his dog had just been put down. Maybe someone else can remember the exact response, but the kid basically hinted that this was the end of the Dragon magic, regardless of who comes in afterwards.

Rick