New HC by Early Next Week?

Green Jackal

Vote today an indication end is near

The North Texas board of regents will vote today on giving university president Gretchen Bataille and athletic director Rick Villarreal the authority to negotiate a contract with a new football coach.

That might not sound like an important step, but it is.

If the board is ready to pass along that authority, there is little doubt a coach and a salary range have been discussed in great detail. Once the board passes the item, it could be just a matter of days before the university hammers out a contract with Darrell Dickey's replacement.

Expect an announcement early next week unless UNT has selected former Mean Green assistant Todd Dodge. Southlake Carroll's head coach might want to wait until after the Dragons are out of the playoffs to bid farewell to Carroll.

http://meangreen.beloblog.com/

Vote today an indication end is near

The North Texas board of regents will vote today on giving university president Gretchen Bataille and athletic director Rick Villarreal the authority to negotiate a contract with a new football coach.

That might not sound like an important step, but it is.

If the board is ready to pass along that authority, there is little doubt a coach and a salary range have been discussed in great detail. Once the board passes the item, it could be just a matter of days before the university hammers out a contract with Darrell Dickey's replacement.

Expect an announcement early next week unless UNT has selected former Mean Green assistant Todd Dodge. Southlake Carroll's head coach might want to wait until after the Dragons are out of the playoffs to bid farewell to Carroll.

http://meangreen.beloblog.com/

Well it makes sense that if the approval amount is 500,000 now, and DD was making 175 a year, that if they offered the same to the new coach for like a 4 year deal, they would have to approve more. I am not sure this means they are close to naming someone though, does it?

I think Brett reported that the BOR has to approve any base salary of $500k or more over the length of the contract, that last phrase being the key. As I recall, $500k would have represented just under three years of base pay in Dickey's case ($175k or so base, boosted to about $250K with the extras -- radio fees, etc.). (Corrections to the numbers are welcomed).

Anybody have any thoughts on how long a contract a new head coach is likely to get? That might indicate how high we're aiming.

It could be that they will go ahead and announce Dodge. Who knows, maybe Southlake officials have said if your going, let us know. They need to get a new coach in for the off season program and spring training even if they promote someone currently on the staff. It would be an added motivation for the Dragons to send Dodge out a winner if they knew he was going to leave. Also, Dodge may realize that waiting another couple of weeks will set back recruiting because prospects don't at least know who the new coach will be. So, maybe the hands in the decision to hire Dodge have been pushed, and it is time to make it known.

Well it makes sense that if the approval amount is 500,000 now, and DD was making 175 a year, that if they offered the same to the new coach for like a 4 year deal, they would have to approve more. I am not sure this means they are close to naming someone though, does it?

The BOR approval amount is $500k for the contract. That doesn't necessarily mean will be paying someone $500k per year.

Nonetheless, this does mean that we should be very close.

I dont know anything, but I doubt this means that Dodge is out. I think that this is just a formality to allow RV and Dr. G to move quicker when it comes time to do a deal.

If they had to wait on BOR to sign off, we could loose out on a good coach if he gets an offer that trumps our deal.

That makes the most sense. Perhaps they're getting all the paperwork out of the way before the holidays.

I dont know anything, but I doubt this means that Dodge is out. I think that this is just a formality to allow RV and Dr. G to move quicker when it comes time to do a deal.

If they had to wait on BOR to sign off, we could loose out on a good coach if he gets an offer that trumps our deal.

Bingo....I think you have it right here. Who knows who the next coach will be (minus RV).

Seems like it's the old "Congratulations, you are pre-approved up to $xxxx" type of arrangement which make is easier for RV and Dr. G. to maneuver. Makes a lot of sense to me.

No telling what they are pre-approved for, but if sounds like they could have signed a one-year deal with a base salary up to $500,000 without seeking BOR approval.

Keith

The approval is to exceed $500,000 over an entire contract, not $500,000 per year. Don't read too much into this formality, it just makes any negotiations with any potential coach easier when it gets to the salary point.

Patience grasshoppers. I'm hearing that we may be hearing about something to hear sometime when there is something to hear about. ph34r.gif

The approval is to exceed $500,000 over an entire contract, not $500,000 per year.  Don't read too much into this formality, it just makes any negotiations with any potential coach easier when it gets to the salary point.

Patience grasshoppers.  I'm hearing that we may be hearing about something to hear sometime when there is something to hear about.  ph34r.gif

I said they could sign a one-year deal for up to $500,000 without BOR approval. I get it. I'm saying the entire contact could be for one-year (or six months or nine months or whatever) and as long as the value of the entire contract does not exceed $500K they already have the necessary authority to execute.

Keith