MGC Survey

Stan R

Guest Aquila_Viridis

I got the survey and yes completed it immediately, but my comment is that while the interest in a new stadium is encouraging, they need to instead take about a quarter of that amount and fill the more urgent need of getting an absolutely superb big conference-quality coaching staff for the next several years. If that is done then it will be much easier to raise the larger sum necessary to build a stadium. We clearly have a more pressing need than a new stadium. And that is saying a lot, cause we damn sure need a new stadium too.

Edited by Aquila_Viridis

The one thing that bothers me very much (and has for quite a while on this whole subject of a new stadium)..............which makes me question if our upper echelon leaders will really ever be serious about this as to allow NT Athletics to get any part of our school's "A" list of prime potential "would be" donors to UNT with an attempt to raise $60 million toward a new NCAA D1-A football stadium is this:

The entire UNT System last I checked still only had anywhere between $40-45 million in its entire finanancial coffers or endowment. So with those totals will UNT leaders even allow a $60 million facility to be built at our main campus? $45 million total UNT System endowment versus a $60 million football stadium? sad.gif

If you were Lee Jackson (our SMU graduated chancellor) whose main charge by Bobby Ray and his BOR's is to build a free-standing university in south Dallas county, do you think NT Athletics mission to raise $60 million might just conflict with your own plans to (first) raise more monies to increase UNT's very anemic endowment total) and (secondly) build what should really be re-named "Royce West U" (that areas Texas state senator) over in south Dallas County?

We all know the state of Texas (Coordinating Board) will allow that campus to do all the necessary things for that school to build all its needed academic facilities, but that school's leadership will also go after other Dallas-based monies to help subsidize other projects that will be unique to that south Dallas County campus as compared to our main campus in Denton, right? huh.gif

Hence, another reason UNT needs (and has needed) for this stadium project one helluva' Big Donor who earmarks his or her or their total donation for a new stadium at UNT's main campus. We can hope for the best with that venture.

Another concern is that in our own haste to get something done in the area of building a new football stadium is that we will downsize our seating plans and build what may turn out to be one helluva' 1-AA football stadium. Also (and sorry) but in Denton I don't buy into this "build it small--create a hot ticket" talk I've heard in the last year, either, because..................the caliber of school that we would only be able to get into Denton if we build a small football stadium would never be a hot ticket no matter how hot a ticket our marketing people would try to make it.

Now if UNT build a 35-40,000 seat stadium, gets the Oklahoma State Cowboy type teams into Denton for a game, then you have a hotter ticket and a turnstile crowd at a new football stadium at Eagle Point Campus whose revenues will help UNT Athletics pay a heckuva lot of bills (and help us increase the athletic budget).

In closing, our school is and will forever be located in a major league sports market that has citizens who expect major league sports competition and anything that appears "minor league'ish" to those masses will never sell in large numbers.

So Yes.......We Do Need A Very Big Donor (and I know we all hope that can really happen sooner than later)

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

The one thing that bothers me very much (and has for quite a while on this whole subject of a new stadium)..............which makes me question if our upper echelon leaders will really ever be serious about this as to allow NT Athletics to get any part of our school's "A" list of prime potential "would be" donors to UNT with an attempt to raise $60 million toward a new NCAA D1-A football stadium is this: 

The entire UNT System last I checked still only had anywhere between $40-45 million in its entire finanancial coffers or endowment.  So with those totals will UNT leaders even allow a $60 million facility to be built at our main campus?  $45 million total UNT System endowment versus a $60 million football stadium? sad.gif

If you were Lee Jackson (our SMU graduated chancellor) whose main charge by Bobby Ray and his BOR's is to build a free-standing university in south Dallas county, do you think NT Athletics mission to raise $60 million might just conflict with your own plans to (first) raise more monies to increase UNT's very anemic endowment total) and (secondly) build what should really be re-named "Royce West U" (that areas Texas state senator) over in south Dallas County?  

We all know the state of Texas (Coordinating Board) will allow that campus to do all the necessary things for that school to build all its needed academic facilities, but that school's leadership will also go after other Dallas-based monies to help subsidize other projects that will be unique to that south Dallas County campus as compared to our main campus in Denton, right? huh.gif

Hence, another reason UNT needs (and has needed) for this stadium project one helluva' Big Donor who earmarks his or her or their total donation for a new stadium at UNT's main campus.  We can hope for the best with that venture.

Another concern is that in our own haste to get something done in the area of building a new football stadium is that we will downsize our seating plans and build what may turn out to be one helluva' 1-AA football stadium.   Also (and sorry) but in Denton I don't buy into this "build it small--create a hot ticket" talk I've heard in the last year, either, because..................the caliber of school that we would only be able to get into Denton if we build a small football stadium would never be a hot ticket no matter how hot a ticket our marketing people would try to make it. 

Now if UNT build a 35-40,000 seat stadium, gets the Oklahoma State Cowboy type teams into Denton for a game,  then you have a hotter ticket and a turnstile crowd at a new football stadium at Eagle Point Campus whose revenues will help UNT Athletics pay a heckuva lot of bills (and help us increase the athletic budget).

In closing, our school is and will forever be located in a major league sports market that has citizens who expect major league sports competition and anything that appears "minor league'ish" to those masses will never sell in large numbers.

So Yes.......We Do Need A Very Big Donor (and I know we all hope that can really happen sooner than later)

SMU built a 32K seat stadium for $50Mil. They had to tear down most of Ownby before they could start building, AND the location is land locked. That had to add to the cost of building the stadium.

Our location/building site is not land locked. And on our building site all the contractor has to do is start moving dirt, and building.

So in theory, we should get as much (and hopefully more) for our $60mil, than SMU got for their $50 Mil.

Edited by SilverEagle

On the "did you know" part of the survey, are they saying we're #1 in the nation for graduation rate of athletes as far as public schools are concerned?  Also, I can only find 14 sports that NT has in DI, does anyone know the other two?

I believe T&F counts as Outdoor and Indoor for seperate teams scholarship purposes.