Fox 4 Story on Practice Field

MeanGreenBuzz

UNT is going to rename the field after Dickey to honor MMs request. Dickey said he didn't much care and it really wasn't a concern of his. MM said he wanted to remind everyone at UNT of DDs impact every time they went past the field and that DD deserved a better fate. All I can say is bad publicity is still publicity.

UNT is going to rename the field after Dickey to honor MMs request.  Dickey said he didn't much care and it really wasn't a concern of his. MM said he wanted to remind everyone at UNT of DDs impact every time they went past the field and that DD deserved a better fate.  All I can say is bad publicity is still publicity.

That's Nice .. We have got to be the only team in the country that would name something after a coach who had a record of 20 games under .500.

Shows how low we aim ???

What happens if we get a coach that leads us to a record 20 games over .500???? Will we have to rename the school , Denton , Pizza Hut ..?????

But Overall , I like DD so good for him smile.gif

Edited by NT03

That's Nice .. We have got to be the only team in the country that would name something after a coach who had a record of 20 games under .500.

Shows how low we aim ???

What happens if we get a coach that leads us to a record 20 games over .500???? Will we have to rename the school , Denton , Pizza Hut ..?????

But Overall , I like DD so good for him smile.gif

Great point....does make you wonder. I think it is kind of odd, that even before he coaches his last game we have already decided to name something after him...and to think we fired him. When was the last time that happened in college athletics? A coach who's record is 20 games under .500, is fired DURING the season, and they name something of the Athletics after him?

I can just imagine what the new coach will be thinking as he runs out to the DD practice facility.....My only request would be that we name it the following:

The Darrell "Keep 8 men in the box" Dickey practice field.

I am glad the field is named after Dickey.  A plaque that acknowledges his 9 years as coach and his leading us to 4 SBC Championships and 4 New Orleans Bowls at the entrance would be nice.  But please leave out his won/loss record!

If there is a plaque , just post his SBC record smile.gif

Shows how low we aim ???

What happens if we get a coach that leads us to a record 20 games over .500????

Fine, we can name the practice sod after Dickey, but then we need to honor Coach Fry also in the new Stadium name!

This firing has attracted alot of bad press....im suprised...

I wonder if there was anyway we could have left Diceky on board as some sort of asst coach...I always heard he loved to Mean Green and wanted to be here for a long time...

We need a corporate sponsor for our stadium, since nothing is happening with funding...Something like Peterbuilt Stadium at Hayden Fry Field.....I dont know

This firing has attracted alot of bad press....im suprised...

I wonder if there was anyway we could have left Diceky on board as some sort of asst coach...I always heard he loved to Mean Green and wanted to be here for a long time...

We need a corporate sponsor for our stadium, since nothing is happening with funding...Something like Peterbuilt Stadium at Hayden Fry Field.....I dont know

I would argue that this kind of press is still good, shows for once that the administration at UNT is serious about moving forward as a football program.

Plus anyone in coaching knows how the coaching ball bounces and that DD's record had him jeopardy for a while. There is reality and then what you say to the press. I don't think any other coach no matter how they feel would throw DD under the bus.

Here's the link

And now my defense of Dickey ends. He makes the comment that now his concern is feeding his wife and family. ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!!!!!! I know he's upset about losing his job, but his contract was bought out. He's got money coming and he should have some money stashed away. Of course, if he manages his money like he does the game clock...

In the words of Phil Hartman portraying Frank Sinatra, "I'm done with you. Your money's on the dresser."

GO MEAN GREEN !!!!!!!!!!

Here's the link

And now my defense of Dickey ends.  He makes the comment that now his concern is feeding his wife and family.  ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!!!!!!  I know he's upset about losing his job, but his contract was bought out.  He's got money coming and he should have some money stashed away.  Of course, if he manages his money like he does the game clock...

In the words of Phil Hartman portraying Frank Sinatra, "I'm done with you.  Your money's on the dresser."

GO MEAN GREEN !!!!!!!!!!

Can RV just shove him out the door now and let Kenny Evans finish the season as coach? I am so sick of DD's whoa uis me attitude. Guess what if you manned up in some of the OOC games you would not be in this situation, now difficult due to your hatred for your employer and its alumni. I am sure Mac has a job for you now anyways. mad.gif

What RV needs to do is put up a 2 by 3 sign up at the far end of the practice facility. That say this lopsided rocky field is named for Darrell Dickey, whose 9 year career at UNT posted a dismal record of 39-55 or what ever it ends at.

I would argue that this kind of press is still good, shows for once that the administration at UNT is serious about moving forward as a football program.

Plus anyone in coaching knows how the coaching ball bounces and that DD's record had him jeopardy for a while. There is reality and then what you say to the press. I don't think any other coach no matter how they feel would throw DD under the bus.

Agreed. At least North Texas is at top of mind for many people in the local sports world right now. If we were just another 3-7 team with no changes, no one would give two craps about us right now in the media. This shows that we are willing to progress as a program and gives all the sports blowhards something to bitch about for a while (thus keeping NT in some form or fassion in the headlines).

Plus all the new coach rumors with (Dykes, Price, Schultz, ect) in the region all seem to be mentioning NT in the articles that are written. This is all positive for NT. All the Dickey fiasco will be done after the last game and no one outside of NT will actually give a crap anymore once the new coach is hired.

Edited by Green Lantern

Plus all the new coach rumors with (Dykes, Price, Shula, ect) in the region all seem to be mentioning NT in the articles that are written.

SHULA? I haven't seen these. There would be a better chance of Don Shula coming out of retirement, then David Shula coaching at NT.

Here's the link

And now my defense of Dickey ends.  He makes the comment that now his concern is feeding his wife and family.  ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!!!!!!  I know he's upset about losing his job, but his contract was bought out.  He's got money coming and he should have some money stashed away.  Of course, if he manages his money like he does the game clock...

In the words of Phil Hartman portraying Frank Sinatra, "I'm done with you.  Your money's on the dresser."

GO MEAN GREEN !!!!!!!!!!

When watching that report one thought comes to mind.... "Damn, that a nice looking practice facility!!" biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif