Question about land between

Eagle Man

Actually we do.....

They are building I believe with that one being mentioned, a totally of 4 new dorms...with all of that, from what I hear there is still a waiting list....

NT is growing, the athletics isnt sad.gif

Normally every year starts with a waiting list and then dwindles down...there is not a market for 4 dorms. Housing would lose money...

One dorm is being built to replace College Inn, which Cleopatra stayed in when the pyramids were being built.

Another is for the Honors Program. I say let those kiddos stay in their own dorm, I hated it how they always took up the first floor of Clark and then complained about the noise because of everyone walking down the halls.

There hasn't been an upper classmen only dorm in years because there has never been enough room for the ever growing freshmen classes.

Considering we've been building new dorms at a very good clip and still have a waiting list, I'd say there's plenty of demand for more beds.

Edited by UNTFan23

How do you know there is a waiting list?  Do you work for housing?

Just curious why you feel they do not need new dorms? Do you work for housing?

There is a waiting list every year for housing, that is why University Courtyard and Jefferson Commons get so much business since they get the overflow or late applicants.

College Inn will be gone once the new dorm opens up next to them, as well as the 2 new dorms behind Clark and Maple.

I am a former RA who still has several high up contacts in Housing. I talked to one of them last night and basically there are 2 new halls planned one honors and one that is probably an upper-classman dorm. One near College Inn and the other behind Clark. Oh, and there is no waiting list...

but back to the original reason for the thread, what they are constructing on the other side of 35 is not a new dorm...

How do you know there is a waiting list?  Do you work for housing?

I worked for Central Housing about 2 years ago. I helped students with the registration and stuff.... they need more residence halls. Every year, Housing does have a waiting list, and beyond that, they have to give the okay for many freshmen to live in apartments because there just aren't enough beds.

Also, there are hundreds of foreign students who come through each year through the IELI program as well as several others. These students are older, have their own families oftentimes, and need a place to stay. Housing can't build family residences for them (although there's plenty of demand) because they don't have enough spaces for the traditional student. And in case you're wondering about my source there, that's from a direct conversation I had with Betsy Warren.

* Those will be rec fields

* The school is planning to build more dorms

* The school has to do this because the THECB has told the school to prepare to have enrollment explode over the next 10-15 years

* Neither the THECB nor any other part of the state has told the school how the infrastructure for the exploding enrollement is supposed to be paid for.

* If your wondering why the new president is talking about streamlining the university, cutting overhead, college consolodation, etc and not something like expanding athletic spending, this is one of the major reasons why.

* if you wondering why so many k-12 and high learning institutions are in dire need of funds while the state is sitting on a 8 to 15 BILLION dollar surplus, so are alot of other people.

* If your wondering why the new president is talking about streamlining the university, cutting overhead, college consolodation, etc

Like maybe a UNT/TWU merger? What a waste of $$ to have duplicate programs 5 miles apart. We could rival A$M in size with a merger and perhaps get Denton off it's duff with support in a single college town rather than what we have now with two Universities.

all dorms need to be close in so that a closer knit university has a chance.  I saw tcu was now embracing this concept and building parking garages.  Baylor and smu have done this and it is time for us to try to keep our campus from as much sprawl like a@m as possible-- even as growth continues.

This is true people who stay in Victory which is just across th highway seem to be 30 minutes away. During the day you have to wait in line for the buses, at night you have to wait every 30 minutes, and parking sucks. We need to buy some of the bad houses and apartments around the campus and build dorms there.

We dont need to merge with TWU we need to take it over. so many twu students come to unt anyways.

This is true people who stay in Victory which is just across th highway seem to be 30 minutes away. During the day you have to wait in line for the buses, at night you have to wait every 30 minutes, and parking sucks.  We need to buy some of the bad houses and apartments around the campus and build dorms there.

We dont need to merge with TWU we need to take it over. so many twu students come to unt anyways.

They are building new buildings across the HWY b/c the land is much cheaper, Rafes wanted to buy up Concrete City behind West and Santa Fe but at $1 million an Acre it is pretty pricey for a bunch of run down apartments.