My observations on the SMU game last night

emmitt01

1)There were about 5 people there. I'll give all 5 of them credit for being in costume though.

2)It can no longer be said that Darrell Dickey is the worst coach in America. The worst coach in America is whoever is coaching against SMU that week...though they get instantly better after that game. This year I've watched Ark St, Marshall AND UAB hand games to SMU on a platter. How many false start penalties in key situations? Not getting to the line and snapping in on a key 1st down catch that was in question? Ladies and gentelmen, this was a game UAB could have and should have won.

3)Craig James shouldn't be allowed within 100 miles of a broadcast booth when SMU is playing. I understand you want to say a nice thing or two about your alma mater (especially when they were your most lucrative employer ever) but the homerism was pathetic. How many times do I have to listen to them talk about how great the damn pony express was within tempering it with the fact that it was the best paid backfield in the country, college or pro.

4)Our win against them now means NOTHING. Let's look at what is soon to happen. They will find a way to win against Rice, Tulsa or Houston. They only need one of 'em. Then, they'll go to N.O. where we would be if we could get out of our own way. They'll more than likely beat whomever we send there. If you've never rooted for another Sun Belt team with all your heart and soul you'd damn sure better come December in N.O. After they win that game our win over them will be known not as the "biggest win of the decade" or "proof that we can compete in the metroplex" but instead as what people are almost unanimously calling it already...FLUKE. You ready for the recruiting season after they're a 7 to 8 win team and a bowl champion and we're a 2-10 or 3-9 team? Can you say uphill battle at a ninety degree angle? Look at the local and state recruiting lists...they're already putting together a decent class. And then, when you think you can't feel any lower, the coup de grace. We'll march into Ford stadium next season with a chance to prove, on the field now instead of in the media and the minds of the masses, that SMU really has passed us up.

All in favor of keeping the current coaching staff, going to games just to have "fun", and saying we should all be satisfied...raise your hands.

I never thought the SMU win meant anything to anyone else but us anyhow. Besides, the SMU win shouldn't be worth anything considering that the rest of the season has been a disaster. I mean, it's like the saying goes- "you're only as good as your last win" and our team has lost the last few games.

I know I liked the SMU win, but that doesn't mean squat now. Frankly, after the season is over, SMU would be justified in saying they're still the better team. Why? Because their record will reflect that.

The coaching staff has to change. About the only people I can see keeping are the DB/LB/TE coaches and the graduate staff.

I loved the quote late in the 4th quarter about how it wasn't fair to compare the SMU team of today with the team when James was there. I kept waiting for them to back this up with the fact that SMU can't pay their players like that anymore, but they referred to SMU not being in the SWC anymore.

3)Craig James shouldn't be allowed within 100 miles of a broadcast booth when SMU is playing. I understand you want to say a nice thing or two about your alma mater (especially when they were your most lucrative employer ever) but the homerism was pathetic. How many times do I have to listen to them talk about how great the damn pony express was within tempering it with the fact that it was the best paid backfield in the country, college or pro.

They should disbar him and Eric Dickerson as alumni; after the Pony Express members suggested that SMU give up fotoball. Yeah, they both suggested that. I cannot think of a lower life form than Craig James.

I hate how people on this board always discredit every win we have ever had. Before the SMU game everyone said that it was a huge game, not only for bragging rights, and recruiting rights but to show that we could win an OOC game. Now the game was just a fluke, well we have lost a lot of flukes as well. Every win we have had the last 5 to 6 years is either a fluke or the teams we played stunk. Its not that we had good players or anything it was simply the teams were just so horrible. I get so sick of hearing that.

while I agree with just about everything you've said, Emmitt, I think this is something that could be turned back around [relatively] quickly.

Bring in one coach that can sell the program and you can get a great recruiting class. If he can use the talent that we currently have, we could have a good year in 2007, and brace for a big 2008 or 09 (when the alleged stadium is built).

My point is, SMU has passed us by- for now. In 2001-2004 I can assure you all the dorks at Pony Fans were complaining about how even NT could beat them and had passed them by as a program.

the potential is there for NT, as it has always been, I guess I just wonder who is paying attention or if someone is going to "get it" at some point... we can move forward as quickly as the higher ups allow. someone has to get it at some point, right?

I hate how people on this board always discredit every win we have ever had.  Before the SMU game everyone said that it was a huge game, not only for bragging rights, and recruiting rights but to show that we could win an OOC game.  Now the game was just a fluke, well we have lost a lot of flukes as well.  Every win we have had the last 5 to 6 years is either a fluke or the teams we played stunk.  Its not that we had good players or anything it was simply the teams were just so horrible.  I get so sick of hearing that.

The SMU game was huge. We have to establish a rivalry with them and TCU.

GO MEAN GREEN !!!!!!!!!

I hate how people on this board always discredit every win we have ever had.  Before the SMU game everyone said that it was a huge game, not only for bragging rights, and recruiting rights but to show that we could win an OOC game.  Now the game was just a fluke, well we have lost a lot of flukes as well.  Every win we have had the last 5 to 6 years is either a fluke or the teams we played stunk.  Its not that we had good players or anything it was simply the teams were just so horrible.  I get so sick of hearing that.

I never said it was a fluke, just that that's how it is and will be viewed by the general public. I know we have good players, and I know they're capable...if led correctly. It was clear that our coaching staff did their homework for the SMU game because they took it seriously. If it were the same week in and week out there would be no "flukes" because we'd be properly prepared and win.

With that said though it really is irrelevant how we view the win. If people outside of the Mean Green nation, namely recruits, look at a bowl eligible (or at the very least really close) team that plays in CUSA versus a 2 or 3 win team in the Sunbelt they will come tot he conclusion that our win wasn't legit. We can scream until we're blue in the face about how we are the better team but where do we point for long term proof this year?

They should disbar him and Eric Dickerson as alumni; after the Pony Express members suggested that SMU give up fotoball.  Yeah, they both suggested that.  I cannot think of a lower life form than Craig James.

James touted what a great school it is; however, neither one of his kids go there.

His SMU should be dominating this league and winning 9 & 10 games every year was just laughable. SMU is irrelevant and has a long road to respectability. Ours is not quite as long if we make the right turnoff.

Turn off this coaching staff and let the building begin!

The SMU game was huge and the La Tech game is huge too. We beat the bulldogs the season is a little less painful but still bad.

GMG

I did hear Randy Galloway and Brian Esteridge talking about the SMU football team and the fact that they are almost bowl eligible.

The end of the conversation mentioned that SMU was "flat out embarrassed" up in Denton against that North Texas bunch. Brian said it would probably come back to bite them in the end.

No mention of fluke or anything like that. The way I see it, most of the metroplex has no idea if we lost against Troy or Tulsa, but whoever was listening that day knows that we beat SMU.

Alright... I had to chime in. I agree some rants are called for, but some of this is just borderline ridiculous.

On a Tuesday night game, about 2000 people were behind glass, and I would say 8-9k were in the stands. What encouraged me about the attendance was that 65% of that was students. There hasn't been that kind of student turnout for any non-marquee (Texas Tech, etc) game ever. And what was more, is that the team won. So the students will come back. What was stupid was scheduling a game on a Tuesday night on Halloween. SMU needs the Park Cities to come to the games, scheduling a game on a holiday where they are going to be out with their children was not smart -- but TV exposure and a win is I guess worth it.

I find it hard to see how SMU was "given" all of these games. Marshall? There was a turnover on the kick-off. SMU still had to drive the ball offensively and score. Marshall could've stopped them. Both SMU and UAB played ugly games, but that was the first time I've seen a SMU team play ugly and get down, and not fold in the end. That is improvement, and that's a sign that a young team is getting better and growing with the coach.

I've never seen a team "hand" over a 55-9 or 45-13 win, but I guess maybe those Baylor fans that said they handed you that 52-17 victory a few years ago could be right.

Fact is, on September 9th, UNT was the better team. Another fact is that Justin Willis has come into his own as a RS freshman QB. While he has had some bad games (mainly ECU of late), he has become a real playmaker and given SMU a player to rally around and win some games. SMU hasn't given up and folded in the face of adversity. Those games last year that were lost by 3-7 points have turned into W's this year. I think as the team has gotten better, so has Bennett grown into his position at HC.

As for Craig James' comments, I was surprised he didn't sit there and bash SMU ths whole time. His comment that SMU should win 9-10 games/year in CUSA is not off base really. TCU did it, and SMU should be able to as well. TCU has no advantages over SMU as an institution. SMU has the resources, the recruiting base, the facilities, and the deep-pocketed alums to have a great team. Moreso than most of the other teams in CUSA. That is the same reason that UNT should be dominating the Sun Belt every year, not teams like Troy or ULaLa.

And one of Craig James' kids went to SMU, his daughter Jessica.

I will agree SMU won ugly the other night. I agree that I was embarassed by the attendance (though happy that the students have come out-- keep in mind if every undergrad comes to a SMU game that is 6,000 people), but to bash the team for "sucking" and "being handed over games" just sounds bitter. Both SMU and UNT and TCU should be winning their conferences hands-down with the amount of resources at their backdoor. TCU has set the example, and it looks like SMU is just now starting to follow its lead. It'd be nothing but good-news for all 3 teams to have 3 strong metroplex D-1A teams.

Now go beat the crap out of La Tech.

Alright... I had to chime in. I agree some rants are called for, but some of this is just borderline ridiculous.

On a Tuesday night game, about 2000 people were behind glass, and I would say 8-9k were in the stands. What encouraged me about the attendance was that 65% of that was students. There hasn't been that kind of student turnout for any non-marquee (Texas Tech, etc) game ever. And what was more, is that the team won. So the students will come back. What was stupid was scheduling a game on a Tuesday night on Halloween. SMU needs the Park Cities to come to the games, scheduling a game on a holiday where they are going to be out with their children was not smart -- but TV exposure and a win is I guess worth it.

I find it hard to see how SMU was "given" all of these games. Marshall? There was a turnover on the kick-off. SMU still had to drive the ball offensively and score. Marshall could've stopped them. Both SMU and UAB played ugly games, but that was the first time I've seen a SMU team play ugly and get down, and not fold in the end. That is improvement, and that's a sign that a young team is getting better and growing with the coach.

I've never seen a team "hand" over a 55-9 or 45-13 win, but I guess maybe those Baylor fans that said they handed you that 52-17 victory a few years ago could be right.

Fact is, on September 9th, UNT was the better team. Another fact is that Justin Willis has come into his own as a RS freshman QB.  While he has had some bad games (mainly ECU of late), he has become a real playmaker and given SMU a player to rally around and win some games. SMU hasn't given up and folded in the face of adversity. Those games last year that were lost by 3-7 points have turned into W's this year. I think as the team has gotten better, so has Bennett grown into his position at HC.

As for Craig James' comments, I was surprised he didn't sit there and bash SMU ths whole time. His comment that SMU should win 9-10 games/year in CUSA is not off base really. TCU did it, and SMU should be able to as well. TCU has no advantages over SMU as an institution. SMU has the resources, the recruiting base, the facilities, and the deep-pocketed alums to have a great team. Moreso than most of the other teams in CUSA. That is the same reason that UNT should be dominating the Sun Belt every year, not teams like Troy or ULaLa.

And one of Craig James' kids went to SMU, his daughter Jessica.

I will agree SMU won ugly the other night. I agree that I was embarassed by the attendance (though happy that the students have come out-- keep in mind if every undergrad comes to a SMU game that is 6,000 people), but to bash the team for "sucking" and "being handed over games" just sounds bitter.  Both SMU and UNT and TCU should be winning their conferences hands-down with the amount of resources at their backdoor. TCU has set the example, and it looks like SMU is just now starting to follow its lead. It'd be nothing but good-news for all 3 teams to have 3 strong metroplex D-1A teams.

Now go beat the crap out of La Tech.

Told you he was reasonable....

In theory, all three area teams getting better is good for all of us. However, only 2 of the 3 schools have proven their leadership cares enough to do anything about it....

Both SMU and UNT and TCU should be winning their conferences hands-down with the amount of resources at their backdoor.

At least with regard to TCU, I beg to differ. It is not so hands-down in the Mountain West. If you ever get to Utah, you need to check-out the facilities, crowds, and support received by BYU. I could probably say the same about the University of Utah.

SMU fans have a lot to be happy about right now, so 8K or 9K on Halloween is fine. Disappointing, to be sure, but the days at the Cotton Bowl with all of Dallas there are far behind (although three weeks of good football matchups in the Cotton Bowl during the State Fair might help bring that back (SMU-UNT, TCU-UNT, SMU-TCU)).

The TV exposure was great and Ford looked good. Reminds me of our Troy game last year on the Deuce - bad attendence (for NT that's 14k or so) but national exposure.

Craig James wanted SMU to get out of I-A, at least. He should be forced to suffer the ultimate punishment: strapped in a car on Mockingbird during rush hour.

SouthernMustang is right - ultimately, the gain of one Metroplex team should be reflected by everyone else. A world would be better with consistent UNT, SMU and TCU teams.

Fact is, I actually envy where SMU is right now. They could have let the setback at the beginning of the season (ie loss to us) destroy a potentially successful year. To their credit, they buckled down and have put themselves into position to get to a bowl berth. They have begun to take advantage of their opportunities...which is more than I can say for us at this point.

Not an SMU fan by any stretch...but I certainly won't discount the direction that they are currently heading.

We've had opportunities to build off of the SMU win and make a statement this season. We've squandered them all and we deserve to be in the situation that we're currently in. dry.gif

Edited by Green Lantern

My problem is not Meager's production, or lack thereof, but why a HC that is a former QB and and OC that is a former QB can't develop a QB.

I thought 4 years of Scott Hall went pretty well. I think what we saw (and would have potentially seen last year) of Andrew Smith went pretty well.

Maybe this group just can't play, or maybe the line is just so bad that no one could play behind it? Either way (repeat refrain), recruiting seems to be a bigger problem than the same offense and staff that had Hall and Smith.

I thought 4 years of Scott Hall went pretty well. I think what we saw (and would have potentially seen last year) of Andrew Smith went pretty well.

Maybe this group just can't play, or maybe the line is just so bad that no one could play behind it? Either way (repeat refrain), recruiting seems to be a bigger problem than the same offense and staff that had Hall and Smith.

This staff is not the same one that had Hall and Smith and recruiting, or lack thereof, reflects back on the coaching staff. BTW, look at Hall's and Smith's stats and tell me how much they improved from year to year.

This staff is not the same one that had Hall and Smith and recruiting, or lack thereof, reflects back on the coaching staff.  BTW, look at Hall's and Smith's stats and tell me how much they improved from year to year.

I agree 100% that it reflects on the coaching staff. That's what my contention has been all along -- i'm not pro staff--- I just think the biggest failure has been in recruiting, bar none.