We Suck!

shaft

We ignore the reality of where our program is and what it takes to move foward.

Actually, that is what we are pissed about. We are seeing nothing to give us hope that we will ever move forward. Different year, same results. Except instead of getting blown out by LSU, Oklahoma, UT and other top teams, we are getting stomped by Tulsa, Akron and La Tech. But we are making strides!

I guess that somes it up, "we" don't know what success looks like. That explains why people on this board can't see the progress.

Better facilities, attendence, & donations.

An now an OOC win over a school we've been wanted to play for decades.

The SMU win is a big deal. The fact that we were even playing SMU is a big deal.

Winning 4 conference titles is a big deal.

With all due respect - TO WHO?

North Texas is not respected for their 4 titles in the Sun Belt - Did the Sun Belt performance get us any respect from C-USA when they were expanding? SHaft I know your a die hard fan but we have to stop acting like the past success in the Sun Belt carries ant clout.

I guess that somes it up, "we" don't know what success looks like.  That explains why people on this board can't see the progress.

Better facilities, attendence, & donations.

An now an OOC win over a school we've been wanted to play for decades.

The SMU win is a big deal.  The fact that we were even playing SMU is a big deal.

I hope that you have low expectations for all you do, because it is pretty crappy that you expect so little from UNT Football and keep high expectations for the other areas of your life.

I hope that you have low expectations for all you do, because it is pretty crappy that you expect so little from UNT Football and keep high expectations for the other areas of your life.

Enlighten us, then. If 4 out of 5 conference championships and a win over the one OOC school we've all been begging to play for 10+ years is worthless and make us a joke and we were all wrong to enjoy all those championship seasons and bowl games so much, and it's all just a product of delusional fans with low expectations enjoying the most consistent run of d-1 success in our school's history, then you tell us -- what should NT's realistic expectations be? Seriously, outline it for us, educate us. What is acceptable for us to be happy with our school?

Enlighten us, then. If 4 out of 5 conference championships and a win over the one OOC school we've all been begging to play for 10+ years is worthless and make us a joke and we were all wrong to enjoy all those championship seasons and bowl games so much,  and it's all just a product of delusional fans with low expectations enjoying the most consistent run of d-1 success in our school's history, then you tell us -- what should NT's realistic expectations be? Seriously, outline it for us, educate us. What is acceptable for us to be happy with our school?

Just to get you up to date, we are ranked 161.

Texas State is ranked 90. Thats 71 spots ahead of us in-case you have a problem with math.

Boy we should all love we are in the gutter with the rest of the Belt, but we can beat the worst teams in D1A football. Holy-cow we are good.

By the way we have something like 24 conference championships just before the SBC we never had an automatic tie in to a bowl.

Jeff Sagarin Rankings

Just to get you up to date, we are ranked 161.

Texas State is ranked 90. Thats 71 spots ahead of us in-case you have a problem with math.

Boy we should all love we are in the gutter with the rest of the Belt, but we can beat the worst teams in D1A football. Holy-cow we are good.

By the way we have something like  24 conference championships just before the SBC we never had an automatic tie in to a bowl.

Jeff Sagarin Rankings

Still waiting on:

a) any sense of relevance to the Sagarin. Sagarin has the following rankings: Texas Tech at #11, Auburn at #21, Tulsa at #44 and Tennessee at #47. I rest my case. The Sagarins are basically good for a laugh. Oh yeah, and FIU, who has almost won each game its played against big time opposition, is behind Brown, Cal Poly-SLO, Nicholls State, etc. etc.... giggle. Troy, who apparently has gained so much respect from, um, beating Mizzou, is right there with FIU.

B) any concrete language as to what our expectations should be, since we were all apparently foolish to enjoy that run of 4 straight titles and bowl games... Shoot, here I was having the time of my life and all along I should have been embarassed at my low expectations and a little ashamed of beating such pathetic opposition....

c) reasoning that we shouldn't be compared against our conference mates, but instead against.... what exactly? What makes us so special and them so worthless?

d) Your honest wishes for the rest of the season... if, like many others on this board, you stand by your statement that every SBC win is worthless and gets us nowhere, and we have already, by your estimation, failed in OOC and need a regime change, logic would dictate you and your ilk will be rooting against NT the rest of the season to facilitate change. Is this fair? PMG has already said he will not attend any games or support the AD in any way to show his displeasure and promote change. Is this viewpoint one that you share? Not saying it is necessarily invalid, just asking. Can you root for NT to win a game, that, by your logic, is worthless and simply aids to extend this regime?

Edited by CaribbeanGreen

Guest GrayEagleOne

NC State who felol to Akron defeated #20 Boston College this week!!!

And, Central Michigan, who had beaten Akron the week before, squeaked out an overtime win over a horrible Eastern Michigan team.

What an awful bunch of fans.  We bitch and moan about everything.  We over react and throw tantrums daily.  We ignore the reality of where our program is and what it takes to move foward.

Why is everyone so stunned we lost to a team that was favored by 20 points?

Shaft - I too once had the same attitude as you. I am tired of defending mediocrity when we should be farther along than we are as a program. This year is my breaking point. The way things are going, you too will finally realize that enough is enough.

Still waiting on:

a) any sense of relevance to the Sagarin. Sagarin has the following rankings: Texas Tech at #11, Auburn at #21, Tulsa at #44 and Tennessee at #47. I rest my case. The Sagarins are basically good for a laugh. Oh yeah, and FIU, who has almost won each game its played against big time opposition, is behind Brown, Cal Poly-SLO, Nicholls State, etc. etc.... giggle. Troy, who apparently has gained so much respect from, um, beating Mizzou, is right there with FIU.

cool.gif any concrete language as to what our expectations should be, since we were all apparently foolish to enjoy that run of 4 straight titles and bowl games... Shoot, here I was having the time of my life and all along I should have been embarassed at my low expectations and a little ashamed of beating such pathetic opposition....

c) reasoning that we shouldn't be compared against our conference mates, but instead against.... what exactly? What makes us so special and them so worthless?

d) Your honest wishes for the rest of the season... if, like many others on this board, you stand by your statement that every SBC win is worthless and gets us nowhere, and we have already, by your estimation, failed in OOC and need a regime change, logic would dictate you and your ilk will be rooting against NT the rest of the season to facilitate change. Is this fair? PMG has already said he will not attend any games or support the AD in any way to show his displeasure and promote change. Is this viewpoint one that you share? Not saying it is necessarily invalid, just asking. Can you root for NT to win a game, that, by your logic, is worthless and simply aids to extend this regime?

WELL just where has the 4 titles gotten this team? Seriously....was it the 2 and 9 season last year? Is the respect that everyone in the country gives not only us but the entire SBC conf. for being so good? Is it the fact that D "K8MITB" D still can't win a freaking OOC game? What is it....I really am curious.

REVISED ON A MONDAY MORNING

CarribbeanGreen, I hate to be the one to break this to you (so I'll do so gently) but a Mean Green football home season opening game against SMU with an entire summer to promote that game and sell tickets for it yet having this home season opener that (basically) had almost 10,000 empty seats at Fouts Field (since some of you older nestors who would know reported that there were probably onlyabout 21-22,000 real butts in seats) for the SMU/UNT game...........

..............anyway, with such a game against the mighty Mustangs of SMU (you know, that "one sided" rivalry) for a UNT home season opener with many empty seats could that jujst possibly suggest that I am not alone with my choice to show that many of us have chosen not to fill our usual seats which would IMO show too much semblance of approval for a football program whose trends only show that it dwells on the extreme low profile of SBC success; so maybe if enough do this it will show our crack staff of UNT decision-makers (who if you look at a media guide do NOT have a very good record of hiring head football coaches as it is) that maybe they have hung in there a bit too long with Darrell Dickey? What is it that UNT leaders feel it owes him?

Do UNT's key male leaders think they are a raging success when they beat their own sisters in family reunion tennis matchups, too? rolleyes.gif Well, DD is no longer beating the sisters of the poor SBC much any more; except ol' 9 Lives Darrell will probaby pull out another career saving season beating a bunch of nobodies that for some stranger than hell reason, excites a hardy handful of you on this board. AND TO YOU I (and others BTW) would say this to you: You really don't know your college football now do you?

Many who have painstakingly chosen to ignore what used to be many decades of a passion of ours as far as what our hopes would be to see NT football eventually make the upward journey in NCAA D1-A AND be able to swim with all the other high profile sharks (if you will) of upper echeloon football schools of NCAA D1-A. Why would any NT Ex or Mean Green fan validate low expectation and wins against schools that the national sports media basically ignore? And then why would NT leaders validate all that with those freakin' extended contracts?

Many of our multi-decades of dreams for a UNT football program to emulate what many of our former Missouri Valley Conference-mates did with their own football program; that is, to just merely have a natural progression of growth as the years progressed. HELL NO! NOT AT NORTH TEXAS WOULD WE DO SUCH, THOUGH! . Also, to have a natural progression of moving up the NCAA ladder and our being able to one day actually catch up with our former fellow Missouri Valley Conference-mates such as University of Louisville (who was ranked in the Top 10 just this last week) and then you have the University of Memphis (who has a big time football stadium with big time crowds because they have big time leaders who know how to market to the masses to do such things. At UNT, we have theories on how to market Mean Green football. Look for the U of Memphis Tiger football program to leave ex MVC-mate NTSU even further behind soon enough as they will most likely vault CUSA as soon as the Big East has a possible opening).

ANY OF YOU KNOW JUST WHAT ITS GOING TO TAKE TO GET CERTAIN UNT LEADERS UNDIVIDED ATTENTION? blink.gif DO WE NEED A 2 X 4? I don't really know what its going to take to just basically jar some cold stark reality into our present UNT leaders as to what they hath wrought to us all and their almost being in a catatonic trance with their own (apparent) low profile acceptance of DD Ball (and under .500 varsity coaches across the board) and their obvious most stranger than hell obligation to continue their validating of all this Mean Green mediocrity with their non-stop rubber-stamping of those gol' darned contract extensions. sad.gifdry.gifunsure.gif

Do present UNT leaders even have one iota of a clue as to what an upwardly mobile NCAA D1-A football program looks like, ie, what the characteristics of such a program actually are?

I think Bobby Ray broke a major employer/employee relationship unwritten law that says you just don't get too chummy or close to those you might have to fire one day. Well, forget that unwritten law at UNT. According to some of you who would know, we had both the Rays and Dickey families actually taking vacations together. Well, maybe all that just hunky-dory nice for those 2 families , but for the rest of us it creates a scenario that could easily mean that as long as Bobby Ray is in charge of the BOR's at UNT-Denton, that Darrell Dickey can just about do anything short of murder and still keep his job. rolleyes.gif

Is Bobby Merely Nothing But A Clueless Boob? Bobby Ray seems to be putting together a staff at UNT that has created more unrest among the troops than is the norm in Denton. His chancellor's choice LogoGate fiasco with one of Lee Jackson's committee members sending out by error an email to a GoMeanGreen.com poster that said: "We don't have to answer to anyone that is part of that group" is an example that (apparently) we have a whole new attitude of exclusives and elitism at the University of North Texas. almost SMU'esqe some might say? rolleyes.gif

LOGOGATE? Well...........wonder if that LogoGate and branding commitee member realized that "those they don't have to answer to" are people just like you and me, ie, NT Exes?

SO HAS BOBBY RAY LOST ALL OBJECTIVITY WHEN IT COMES TO DARRELL DICKEY? I believe he has lost objectivity because he allowed himself to get too close to a high profile UNT employee. Anyone wonder why DD never was reprimanded for those "too many" sarcastic radio comments aimed at NT Exes and our school in general? Well, one can probably start with the name Bobby Ray as to why DD could just keep on getting by with all those pathetic radio jabs at us.

So is that reason that IMHO, the Chairman of the UNT Board of Regents will support Darrell Dickey no matter DD's multi-year W/L record until Mr. Ray is (finally) removed as chairman of our Board? But sue me if you wish, as for myself I just don't know any better way to show that some of us mean business with how we feel about the continuance of many on the NT athletic payroll as UNT leadership who seem just as determined to insure that their athletic staff stays in tact. Do we have a Mexican stand-off on the horizon in our future at UNT? laugh.gif

SORRY, MR. RAY, AIN'T THROUGH YET: It is common knowledge that Lee Jackson was Bobby Ray's hand-picked man for the job of UNT Chancellor. But do we at UNT sometimes use some goofy as hell over-simplications of reasoning as to why we hire some of our leaders albeit it we sure as hell don't use our imagiation with the hiring of head football coaches. How about these simpleton theories on (perhaps) a couple of reasons we have Lee Jackson as chancellor:

Former Texas state senator Lee Jackson ='s, uh..............a new UNT Law School rolleyes.gif (So just when is the ribbon cutting, folks)? ohmy.gif

Former Texas state senator, Dallas resident AND SMU alum , ie, Lee Jackson ='s, uh............. more Dallas donors to the UNT System to help raise its unbelievable anemic endowment for a school that opened in 1890.

JEEZ! I'M ACTUALLY ALMOST THROUGH WITH THIS MANIFESTO:

Whether a boycotting of NT football games is the right thing to do or not I don't know but I do miss some of the Game Day fellowship with many of you and I miss supporting those who would sign onto all this crap that they have no control over whatsoever. Yet its what many, many of us (and growing) have chosen to do to (in our own small way); each of our small way to show NT leaders that silence in a football stadium is not always golden AND that they need to start right now counting the cost of all their non-decision when it comes to UNT Athletics.

Adios!....Going to go eat some Tex-Mex over in Weatherford with a Texas State U Ex. blink.gif

PS: Noticed in the TV Guide that KFWD Channel 52 will televise this Saturdays UNT/MT game. rolleyes.gif

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

I would have to lean more For what Shaft says than against.

- New incredible tennis facilities

- dedicated womens soccer stadium

- dedicated womens softball stadium

- incredible new athletic facility, dorms, athletic cafeteria, trainer area, weight area, etc.

- dedicated basketball facility

- etc, etc.

Thats measurable progress and a big part of the reason we were able to do that was the 4 year run of bowl games and SBC football success.

Just because we had a great run doesn't mean we will always win, but we have to capitalize on it in ways that stick - assets. No program in the history of D1 college football has had a winning season every season. By the logic on this board, the UT football program has taken a huge step backwards. They won the national championship and went undefeated last season. Therefore, they should capitalize on that and never lose again.

I am not arguing for or against any coaches here, that is a matter of opinion and I can see both sides of that argument. My point is simply, we have undeniablyt made huge strides in our ATHLETIC program over the past 5 years, and a large part of making that happen is our football success in the SBC and getting to bowl games. Did it make us a national powerhouse, no. But it did create a buzz within the Mean Green community and increase support. Yes, we have to move forward but that can't be measured in just one game's W/L or one season's record.

I'm going with mgm above. Yes, the football program is currently struggling, and yes, we hope it'll get back to where it was a few years ago. But the recent success of the football program has helped almost every other sport grow to where it needs to be. RV is more aware of any of your concerns than you give him credit for. I mean, does anyone other than me read his posts? This board is like an unruly classroom when the teacher steps out. Then he comes in and basically shuts everyone up. Well, assuming that those who need to read his posts do so.

I'm going with mgm above.  Yes, the football program is currently struggling, and yes, we hope it'll get back to where it was a few years ago.  But the recent success of the football program has helped almost every other sport grow to where it needs to be.  RV is more aware of any of your concerns than you give him credit for.  I mean, does anyone other than me read his posts?  This board is like an unruly classroom when the teacher steps out.  Then he comes in and basically shuts everyone up.  Well, assuming that those who need to read his posts do so.

Getting back to where we were a few years ago isn't good enough! Doesn't anyone understand?

I'm going with mgm above.  Yes, the football program is currently struggling, and yes, we hope it'll get back to where it was a few years ago.  But the recent success of the football program has helped almost every other sport grow to where it needs to be.  RV is more aware of any of your concerns than you give him credit for.  I mean, does anyone other than me read his posts?  This board is like an unruly classroom when the teacher steps out.  Then he comes in and basically shuts everyone up.  Well, assuming that those who need to read his posts do so.

I am new to this board. How often does RV post? What is his user name? I'd like to read some of his past posts. I'd love to hear another side of the story.

Edited by chrisfisher

What an awful bunch of fans.  We bitch and moan about everything.  We over react and throw tantrums daily.  We ignore the reality of where our program is and what it takes to move foward.

Why is everyone so stunned we lost to a team that was favored by 20 points?

I bitch and moan about a FB coach that doesn't prepare his team, his words, not mine, runs and antiquated offense that continually ranks at the bottom of D1, is not competitive against teams we should be competitive against, Akron, Tulsa, La Tech, etc..., has bad mouthed the fans in the past, doesn't hold his coaches or players accountable for their actions and has garnered contract extensions while beating up on the sisters of the poor.

Facilities have improved, but I expect more from the 3rd/4th largest university in Texas.