What is the Single Greatest Sporting Event that Yo

UNTLifer

UNT game against  New Mexico State we won 38-27 in 2002. The energy at the end of the game when the last second ran out was unbelievable, then the flood gates opened and the goal posts came down.

Being in that game tops everything else, including any Rangers-Cowboys game....

Just wishes more of my UNT friends were at the game instead of at willis libary preparing for finals....damn

2004 MLB Home Run Derby and All-Star Game in Houston (lumping them as one experience): Watching Lance Berkman and Miguel Tejada slap balls over the train track was great, and it capped off with an AL win.

2005 MLB World Series Game 4: Yes, I know we got swept, but being able to go to one of the first World Series games in Texas was priceless.

UNT game against  New Mexico State we won 38-27 in 2002. The energy at the end of the game when the last second ran out was unbelievable, then the flood gates opened and the goal posts came down.

High School, the first time that my HS team beat the former State Champion Jacksboro Tigers,,,,, at their home field, and broke a long (and humiliating) losing streak.

The second was the next year when I witnessed the same two teams slugging it out (in Decatur) for the district championship and #1 ranking in 3-A. And it was SRO hours before the game started. And all of the concession stands were sold out before the game even started. North Texas can only dream about that sort of fan devotion.

College, the game listed above with New Mexico State.

Pros. the Ranger game where Nolan Ryan pitched his last no-hitter.

I've been to Rose Bowls, several Cotton Bowls, many Sugar Bowls, and even a Super Bowl, but they don't rank near the top when it come to greatest game status.

Nothing even comes close to that game.

It wasn't an Earth shattering event for most people in the sports world, in fact I doubt very few even noticed. But, for the few hundred North Texas fans that made the trip to the New Mexico wastelands in early November of 2001 for the game against NMSU, they'll know exactly what I mean.

NMSU had played MTSU the previous week in what the papers were billing as The Battle for the Conference Championship. NMSU dominated that game but lost in the final minutes. MTSU had lost to UNT earlier in the season, and a NMSU win against North Texas would about guarantee the Sand Aggies a share of the conference championship, and solidify MTSU's hold on the New Orleans Bowl. To put it lightly, the Aggies were fired up, pissed off, and ready to kick the crap out of somebody.

There was just one problem: A few guys named Hall, Kassell, Kennedy, Casey, McGee, Buckles, Galbreath, Jones, Zuniga, Turney, Awasom, and Spencer were not ready to concede anything.

Both teams slugged it out in the second half like some Rocky epic. Both teams were fighting for everything they could get. Players from both sides were being helped off the field. The fans of both schools were getting very loud and obnoxious. Scott Hall could barely run but he refused to be removed from the game. It was a valient effort, but it seemed that the game was slowly slipping away in New Mexico's favor.

With a slim lead, possession, and less than two minutes left in the game, NMSU coach Tony Samuels decided on a risky play because, as he later stated, he really wanted a touchdown to deliver a "Coup De Grace" blow to emphasize his team's victory.

NMSU fumbled and North Texas recovered. The North Texas fans which had only seconds before conceded that defeat seemed imminent were given new hope.

The Mean Green were 65 yars away from scoring and there was only a minute and something left.

I'll let someone else describe that final drive.

The final outcome of that game tilted the balance of power in the conference for the next several seasons and subsequently resulted in four trips to the New Orleans Bowl for the Mean Green. A program, not just a team, which had only 28 days earlier looked hopeless to even the most dedicated fans was given new life.

What transpired in that game, exactly how it happened, the heroic efforts involved, and the highs and lows, make that little Sun Belt game in the desert the Single Greatest Sporting Event that I have ever witnessed. Many of the North Texas fans that made the trip that weekend were galvanized in green for the rest of their lives.

It's tough to say. I froze my butt off watching Joe Montana and Notre Dame beat Texas in the Cotton Bowl. I saw Eric Dickerson and Craig James battle it out against Hayden Fry and North Texas in Texas Stadium. I saw Mark Maguire play in Colorado in his final season. I saw Ricky Williams (in his Heisman year) and UT lose 42-35 to Texas Tech in an incredible game in Lubbock. And, while it wasn't much of a game, I'll always remember watching UT crush La-Lafayette in the first game of their national championship season.

But, I have to say, my single greatest memory of a sporting event occurred on September 18, 1997 in Lubbock, Texas when the Mean Green defeated the Red Raiders 30-27. When the game ended in victory for UNT, the stadium was almost deathly quiet except for the little pockets of Mean Green fans erupting sporadically throughout the stadium. I was yelling as loudly as I could from my seat in the Texas Tech student section.

I think the Texas A&M game a few years ago when they upset #1 Oklahoma. It was Reggie McNeal's debut, and probably his best game in maroon.

There was also a high school football game that was pretty good between Prestonwood Christian and Arlington Grace. Double overtime thriller that ended with a PCA interception.

that was my #1

#2 would be the last win at Tech

#3 Nolan Ryan vs. Robin Ventura...before the game I told my friend, "I hope a fight breaks out", sure enough there was a great one

Game 6, 1986 NLCS.  Astros-Mets.  16 innings.  I grew up going to Oilers and Astros games, but I never knew the Dome could get that loud.

Mine in Houston, too.

Grand Opening of Astrodome--LBJ & Lady Bird were there, John & Nellie Connally, etc, etc, etc, Saw Mickey Mantle hit first "dome" run in the Astrodome and Nellie Fox hit a late innings game-winning single as Astros beat the Yankees in this exhbition game. Was 14 yrs old at the time and that first walk inside the Astrodome was breath-taking since most stadiums of that day had that gray, cold concrete'ish drab look much like........oh well, nevermind........... rolleyes.gif

UCLA (Lew Alcindor) vs UH (Elvin Hayes) in the Astrodome--UH WINS! (Hey! Anyone have some binoculars)?!?!?

I've heard ESPN sports media types say the UCLA/UH nationally televised event (mostly to be found on UHF stations during this era) was the single most event that brought college basketball to a national awareness previously not experienced by the sport.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

1996 All-Star game in Arlington. I'm also surprised no one has mentioned Kenny Rodgers's perfect game, which to me, the best moment was Rusty Greer's spectacular sno cone catch to win it.

Edited by untgirl04

Saw Harmon Killebrew and Reggie Jackson homer at Arlington stadium in early/mid '70's.

Saw Clemens pitch at Disch-Falk right before he hit the bigs.

Other events come to mind.

But the biggest event I've been to was the 2001 Big 12 championship at Texas Stadium.

The game with the biggest implication was probably last years's Big XII championship football game in Houston. It wasn't much of a game as Texas destroyed Colorado, but we were in a luxury suite drinking free hooch and hob-nobbing with the likes of Kay Bailey Hutchison (I held my tongue) and watching the eventual national champs.

The greatest awe I've experienced was walking down the tunnel of the '94 Texas/OU game just behind the teams. What a rush! Stoney Clark sealed a Texas victory on the goal line. I was lucky enough to watch from the field staring down the line of scrimmage.

I've seen Juan Gonzales and Julio Franco hit walk off homers at the old ballpark. I got Red Sox right fielder Dwight Evans to flip me off in an almost empty stadium after a 2 hour rain delay. I've been to a few NCAA regional basketball tourneys. I was on the field for the last NT win in Lubbock. But the best time I've ever had at a game was the "Robbery in Austin" game in '88. I was new to NT football (I grew up on Longhorn sports), brought my Denton buddies with me, sat in the heart of the UT student body and raised a lot of hell. That was the defining point for my North Texas loyalty. I've been Mean Green ever since.

GO MEAN GREEN !!!!!!!!!!!

BEAT THE HELL OUT OF TEXAS!!!!!!!!!!

Those are great memories gangrene (especially NT-Texas Tech), but didn't Notre Dame beat UH (Not UT) in that 1979 Cotton Bowl. Also, I'm pretty sure Hayden Fry was long gone before Eric Dickerson and Craig James made it to SMU.

GMG!

It's tough to say.  I froze my butt off watching Joe Montana and Notre Dame beat Texas in the Cotton Bowl.  I saw Eric Dickerson and Craig James battle it out against Hayden Fry and North Texas in Texas Stadium.  I saw Mark Maguire play in Colorado in his final season.  I saw Ricky Williams (in his Heisman year) and UT lose 42-35 to Texas Tech in an incredible game in Lubbock.  And, while it wasn't much of a game, I'll always remember watching UT crush La-Lafayette in the first game of their national championship season.

But, I have to say, my single greatest memory of a sporting event occurred on September 18, 1997 in Lubbock, Texas when the Mean Green defeated the Red Raiders 30-27.  When the game ended in victory for UNT, the stadium was almost deathly quiet except for the little pockets of Mean Green fans erupting sporadically throughout the stadium.  I was yelling as loudly as I could from my seat in the Texas Tech student section.

Wow, Plumm. I'm jealous that you were at the opening of the Dome. She was quite a lady. Especially when you walked in for the first time.

It's funny because my dad pulled me out of school to go to that playoff game and told me I had a dentist appointment and then we pull up to park at the Astrodome and I was elated. Too bad they couldn't pull that game out. Mike Scott was scheduled to start the next game and would have put US into the World Series. (Would the ball still have gone through Buckner's legs vs. the 'Stros?.... mmmmhh.)

Mine in Houston, too.

Grand Opening of Astrodome--LBJ & Lady Bird were there, John & Nellie Connally, etc, etc, etc,  Saw Mickey Mantle hit first "dome" run in the Astrodome and Nellie Fox hit a late innings game-winning single as Astros beat the Yankees in this exhbition game.  Was 14 yrs old at the time and that first walk inside the Astrodome was breath-taking since most stadiums of that day had that gray, cold concrete'ish drab look much like........oh well, nevermind........... rolleyes.gif

UCLA (Lew Alcindor) vs UH (Elvin Hayes) in the Astrodome--UH WINS!  (Hey!  Anyone have some binoculars)?!?!?

I've heard ESPN sports media types say the UCLA/UH nationally televised event (mostly to be found on UHF stations during this era) was the single most event that brought college basketball to a national awareness previously not experienced by the sport.

Wow, Plumm.  I'm jealous that you were at the opening of the Dome.  She was quite a lady.  Especially when you walked in for the first time. 

It's funny because my dad pulled me out of school to go to that playoff game and told me I had a dentist appointment and then we pull up to park at the Astrodome and I was elated.  Too bad they couldn't pull that game out.  Mike Scott was scheduled to start the next game and would have put US into the World Series.  (Would the ball still have gone through Buckner's legs vs. the 'Stros?.... mmmmhh.)

megagreen, I take it you are still a Houstonian?

BTW, what are the present plans for the Astrodome?

Surely they will not tear down the "Eighth Wonder of the World" or will they? sad.gif

In old Colt Stadium (B4 the Astrodome was completed) I got to see Stan Musial in his farewell tour as a MLB legend and future Hall of Famer.

Any of you other posters on GMG.com ever attend a game at Colt (.45's) Stadium and sit in the Houston heat, humidity as well as among the Texas-sized mosquitos of which there never seemed to be a shortage? blink.gif

PS You older alums or MG fans who lived in or around Houston back in the day remember buying those annual shopping memberships at FedMart? Remember Globe Discount Center not too far from FedMart, too? I recall my parents making frequent trips to FedMart which I think was off Mykawa (sp?) Road?

Edited by PlummMeanGreen