10 Most significant games of last decade

Stan R

1.) SMU vs. UNT, 2006 (I'm predicting an L)

ok so it's in the future, but I'm still putting it at #1. biggrin.gif

2.) UNT vs. Texas Tech 1997 (W)

3.) UNT vs. Texas Tech 1999 (W)

4.) UNT vs. Baylor (W) 52-14

5.) UNT vs. Baylor (L)

6.) UNT vs. Cincinnati (W)

7.) UNT vs. NMSU ( clinching the conference title)

8.) UNT vs. MTSU (first win against them)

9.) UNT vs. Colorado State (crushing loss in bowl)

10.) UNT vs. Arizona (WE WERE ROBBED!!!)

What's your list? Could be wins or losses. I always put games against in-state rivals higher on the list because I think they bear more wieght on the percieved success of this school. If you want to make it an all time list that is fine also. I've only been following for the past 10 years so that is my list.

... I amemded my list for # 10. Forgot about that one.

Edited by Stan R

the only ones that matter to me are the 2 wins over tech and the bowl win. The Baylor win was significant only because they are in the big 12, it was the largest crowd recorded, and it was a total ass-thrashing.

The rest are fairly inconsequential, in my opinion. Who cares about beating MTSU?

And way to go predicting an SMU victory. Cant ever pile on enough...

How am I piling on? You predicting a win?  Would you wager that?

I'd wager on it--and I think that we'll be struggling early in the year while SMU will not. BUT I'D STILL BET ON UNT! In fact, you're a dirty poo eater if you're a UNT alum and you wouldn't.

Enough about that...my top 10:

1. 2002 UNT over NMSU (still the best UNT home game I've ever been to)

2. 1997 UNT over Ttech (best away game I've been to)

3. 2001 UNT over NMSU (miracle comeback that clinched the 1st bowl)

4. 2003 UNT over BU (most enjoyable beating I've ever witnessed)

5. 2002 UNT over Cincy

6. 1999 UNT over Ttech

7. 2003 Memphis over UNT (UNT almost pulls it off against a more respected CUSA team despite mistakes and crappy officiating)

8. 2005 Troy over UNT (national tv audience--this was a first from fouts, right?)

9. Either of the 2 close losses to highly ranked TCU teams under Devil Fran at Amon Carter

10. 1997 UNT over Utah St. (Simon's last game was unbelievably entertaining in front of 500 people)

Edited by TIgreen01

Enough about that...my top 10:

4.  2003 UNT over BU (most enjoyable beating I've ever witnessed)

Your wife is from Baylor ........ right??? Guess you got a bit of revenge for all the beatings you have suffered at home ........ LOL..

Sorry, could not resist...............hahahahaha

Get ready to take more beatings in fantasy football this year by the West Texans...... again.

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66

Top 5 since '86 - I needed to witness the top 5 IN PERSON or among the Mean Green fandom

1. Miracle in the desert - you had to experience all the dynamic drama actually occurring in the stands before, during and after the game to really comprehend.

2. Idaho same year - can't believe we are going to a bowl game! Did not really expect to experience that in my lifetime. Watched it at "Ellingtons" or whatever that place is called now on the upper deck with free beers every time we scored. They had to start pouring pitchers because we were scoring so fast!

3. Cincinnati - big time credibility and props from the nation. Felt like we arrived as a D1A program!

4. Texas Tech '97 - Big time unexpected win on the great plains! Drove down to support the team and have fun - a much grander experience than expected!

5. Nevada in the Monsoon - getting that monkey off our back in a crazy rain storm was INCREDIBLE! You couldn't feel your feet, you were drenched, but you were thrilled with the payback!

Waiting list - Baylor (a little anti-climatic in that it was so easy!) ULL in the warm rain/fog down on the bayou with some fellow GREEN crazies!

Stun the horns!

GMG

Guest JohnDenver

1) UNT vs. Cincinnati

2) UNT vs. NMSU @ Fouts

3) UNT vs. Colorado State

4) UNT vs. Memphis

5) UNT vs. Texas Tech 1997

6) UNT vs. Texas Tech 1999

7) UNT vs. Baylor 52-14

8) UNT vs. Arkansas State (the becoming of Andrew Smith)

9) UNT vs. Idaho (the becoming of Cobbs)

10) UNT vs. NMSU @ Desert.

1. UNT over Baylor 52-14. Before the begining of the game I kept hearing things about how NT sucked and wasn't a real football program becuase we weren't in the big XII. Oh man, the conversations I had after that game were great.

2. Bowl win over Cincy

3. Troy vs UNT at fouts on ESPN 2. I had a economics test that night so I wasn't able to attend this one, but I recorded the game and really liked what they had to say about the future of NT football with the new stadium plans.

4. The TT win.

We have a several of opportunities to have some games that mak the list this year. To me the character of this UNT football program and Darrel Dickey will truly show this year. I don't mind seeing a bad season after four straight confrence titles but after going 2-9 we better have some fire coming out of our ass when we take on UT. Its an opportunity to show the nation and alot of potential recruits we're not a bunch of pushovers and our run on our sun belt dynasty isn't over.

We have a several of opportunities to have some games that mak the list this year. To me the character of this UNT football program and Darrel Dickey will truly show this year. I don't mind seeing a bad season after four straight confrence titles but after going 2-9 we better have some fire coming out of our ass when we take on UT. Its an opportunity to show the nation and alot of potential recruits we're not a bunch of pushovers and our run on our sun belt dynasty isn't over.

I would love to see us bounce back like TCU did a few years back when they only won 4 games in one season and 10 or 11 the next. A part of me is clinging on to that hope. The other, however, is a bit pessimistic and doesn't see it happening.

I haven't seen anybody last year taking command of this team... And the criticism i heard of a few players that graduated last season of the coaching staff only adds to my doubts.

Edited by Travis

1. 2002 Cincinnatti W 24-19 First Bowl in 1/2 century, changed attitude

2. 1999 TxTech W 21-14 Post SWC days, earned in in State recognition, second TxTech win in 3 years, Dykes fired

3. 2003 Baylor W 52-14 Convinced many that UNT has credible program

4. 1988 TxTech W 29-24 First Big win since Fry era (I was there, tortillo game)

5. 1988 Texas L 24-27 They official won but even they knew otherwise The 2ed SWC team in 1988 to have hands full.

6. 2001 MTSU W 24-21 UPSET, started 4 yr. Bowl run, changed attitudes

7. 1997 TxTech W 30-27 Post SWC era, got some Texas attention

8. 2003 Memphis L 27-17 Bowl game, very good team

9 1995 Oregon St. W 30-27 Defeated Pac-10 team in DENTON. First I-A win after going to I-A

10 2000 TxTech L 7-13 Almost won, lost fumble at end. almost gave Leach his first loss at Tech. Tech then really hates and fears us since we had won 3 of previous 4 games.

10B 2002 TCU L 10-16 Should not have lost this, considering how TCU has done since since, this was a big game but a narrow loss.

worse game ---Texas 0-65 We looked awful ---even if Texas has gone 24-1 and

been National Champion since that game... and had

two Heisman finalist. Young and Benson..

1.  2002  Cincinnatti      W 24-19  First Bowl in 1/2 century, changed attitude

2.  1999  TxTech          W 21-14  Post SWC days, earned in in State recognition,  second TxTech win in 3 years,  Dykes fired 

3.  2003  Baylor            W 52-14  Convinced many that UNT has credible program

4.  1988  TxTech          W 29-24  First Big win since Fry era  (I was there, tortillo game)

5.  1988  Texas            L 24-27  They official won but even they knew otherwise  The 2ed SWC team in 1988 to have hands full.

6.  2000  MTSU            W 24-21  UPSET, started 4 yr. Bowl run, changed attitudes

7.  1997  TxTech          W 30-27  Post SWC era, got some  Texas attention

8.  2003  Memphis        L  27-17  Bowl game, very good team

9  1995  Oregon St.      W 30-27  Defeated Pac-10 team in DENTON.  First I-A win after going to  I-A

10  2000  TxTech          L  7-13    Almost won, lost fumble at end. almost gave Leach his first loss at Tech. Tech then really hates and fears us since  we had won 3 of previous 4 games.

10B 2002 TCU              L  10-16  Should not have lost this, considering how      TCU has done since since, this was a big game but a narrow loss.

worse game ---Texas  0-65  We looked awful ---even if Texas has gone 24-1 and

been National Champion since that game... and had

two Heisman finalist.  Young and Benson..

I guess we all take the phrase "last decade" differently. I for one, prefer to interpret it as 10 years. Some prefer 18 - to each his own. George Bush told me to say that - both of them.

I would love to see us bounce back like TCU did a few years back when they only won 4 games in one season and 10 or 11 the next.  A part of me is clinging on to that hope.  The other, however, is a bit pessimistic and doesn't see it happening. 

Unfortunatly I agree with you sad.gif I'm not expecting a 10 win season next year but I want to see some intensity and aggressive football. That means on a 3rd and 9 we don't run a draw play when we're down by a few touchdowns

I guess the question is does if DD has the same type of season with the same type of apathetic play should he keep his job?

Your wife is from Baylor ........ right???  Guess you got a bit of revenge for all the beatings you have suffered at home  ........  LOL..

Sorry, could not resist...............hahahahaha

Get ready to take more beatings in fantasy football this year by the West Texans...... again.

I'll just say that it definitely sweetened that victory!

I guess we all take the phrase "last decade" differently. I for one, prefer to interpret it as 10 years. Some prefer 18 - to each his own. George Bush told me to say that - both of them.

I can't read, Bush can't talk or pronounce anything...... Guess I was thinking "one score years and a couple of days ago".

I had to throw in 1988 since I think it was the beginning of the recovery from the I-AA "slap in the face". I still had nine games listed since I had two tens. But if you need another one-- how about the 2001 Arkansas State game (45-0) in Denton (I was there) that followed the MTSU upset. The ASU game convinced the faithful that the previous week at MTSU was no fluke and started the talk of a possible bowl game for the first time in years.

Plus ..just for grims .....1988 is a great year to remember, we went 8-4 with wins over TxTech, Rice, and Texas (unofficailly, refs won that one for UT, not the players) ....and......SMU went 0-0 that year... That was the final year that they were kicked out of the NCAA for being dishonest SNAKES. We all know the beginning of time is all related to SMU, just ask them.

QUOTE(BlueRaiderPride @ Jul 13 2006, 02:36 AM)

Oh, now, now. I would expect ALL North Texas fans to remember the year of that one. Not very often an 0-5 team beats a 5-0 team. 2001, bro. Not 2000.

I agree completely.  It's only 5 straight against the MUTS, not 6....yet!

I think he meant at the time of the game UNT was 0-5 and looking bad... MTSU was 5-0, looking great and no one expected UNT to be even close. ... but we won 24-21.

We realy took the wind of of their sails.... they finished 8-3 with losses to LSU, Mississippi, and UNT, and they have never forgiven us. They may not be our arch rival but we may be theirs, I can promise you that would love to beat us 50-0.

You might note.... he absolutely remembers the year when I typed the wrong one....they haven't forgotten.....and want revenge...big time....LOL

QUOTE(BlueRaiderPride @ Jul 13 2006, 02:36 AM)

Oh, now, now.  I would expect ALL North Texas fans to remember the year of that one.  Not very often an 0-5 team beats a 5-0 team.  2001, bro.  Not 2000.

I think he meant at the time of the game UNT was 0-5 and looking bad... MTSU was 5-0, looking great  and no one expected UNT to be even close. ... but we won 24-21.

We realy took the wind of of their sails.... they finished 8-3 with losses to LSU, Mississippi, and UNT, and they have never forgiven us.  They may not be our arch rival but we may be theirs,  I can promise you that would love to beat us 50-0.

You might note.... he absolutely remembers the year when I typed the wrong one....they haven't forgotten.....and want revenge...big time....LOL

Well, we definitely have no room to talk. Not only are we scheduled to play in Denton this year, we're also scheduled to play in Denton next year. But you guys have to make back-to-back trips to Troy this year and next.