from the UT board

bigrobdsp

I uploaded a better version of that game..

Three plays ...

http://media.putfile.com/North-Texas-Robbed-versus-Texas

I don't have a horns account, nor do I want one. Someone can post this video on their board if they so desire.

Why were fans/students allowed on the field around the end zone? I have never seen thay at any UT game before or since. I was in Dr. Hurley's box for the second half of that game, and when NTSU went up by 9 points in the 3rd quarter you could actually see sweat popping out on the UT president's brow in the box next door

Gruu has some video from that fateful day. He's the one that shot it. Maybe he will come out of his slumber and post it for us to not enjoy.

Correct me if I'm wrong though and I probably shouldn't say this for fear of being labeled a horn apologist, but isn't the pylon inbounds?

The last call isn't the one that was that out of the question, but the fumble and bobbled TD earlier in the game are.

Edited by MeanMag

Gruu has some video from that fateful day.  He's the one that shot it.  Maybe he will come out of his slumber and post it for us to not enjoy.

Correct me if I'm wrong though and I probably shouldn't say this for fear of being labeled a horn apologist, but isn't the pylon inbounds? 

The last call isn't the one that was that out of the question, but the fumble and bobbled TD earlier in the game are.

Hitting the pylon on the front of the endzone is a TD. I always thought hitting the pylons on the back of the endzone (since they are on the white line and touching the white line ...) means you are out of bounds.

ph34r.gif

He certainly was out of bounds considering the first thing that touches the ground was his right elbow two feet behind the endzone line(See the last photo in my signature).

Funny that this video was posted over there because I'm currently changing it over to digital video right now and have the highlights of the entire game on stills. And as mentioned on that thread, yes it was 1st down and goal with 50 seconds left to go. All that means is that we got @#$#ed out of our last three plays to STOP them at the goal line as we had two previous times. One that ended on 4 straight downs that started from the NT 5 yard line, the other on a two point conversion when tU was trying to make it 22-21. Who's to say NT couldn't have stopped them the other 3 plays?

What people who simply down load that last play miss out on are the two other horrible calls(fumble recovery reversal and the first phantom Cash TD), and the amazing plays a 1-AA NT pulls off to take one of the most wealthiest programs in the nation to the wire.

One of the best parts of the video is after a tU LBer sacks Davis for the final play, he starts to celebrate and starring down the NT bench as time runs out and tU fans storm the field when announcer Greg Lucas states "...and they are HAPPY!, you would have thought they won the Cotton Bowl?".

Another aspect that you end up taking away from watching the game over is that, had ONE play of several gone NT's way, NT simply wins this game. But had several plays of, I'd guess, 5 or 6 gone NT's way this game would have been a total blow out. Marcus Camper, David McGinty and a couple others get the ball well behind the defense and had any of them been speedsters would have taken it to the house. It's almost on the verge of rediculousness and I can imagine the secondary coach ended up without any hair after this game. Twice Camper gets the ball on a slant with nothing but green in front of him and is tackled by the turf monster. For me, the fumble recovery ending in reversal would have set the stage for a huge NT win?

If you have never seen how that game progressed then you truly miss out on the total meaning of how badly it was officiated and how much of a shame it was for that NT team to have had it taken from them. At one point Marcus Camper gets leveled 4 to 5 feet out of bounds by an LB after a run-after-catch directly in front of one of the blind MFers in stripes for no call.

user posted image

After looking at this photo and considering other no calls which you see in the game it's an amazing fact to consider: that tU, a 4-7 team that season, had 92 plays compared to our 54 plays in this game yet they were only called for 1 penalty that night.

For those who are newbies to the Mean Green Nation, you are the ones I would love to educate with these and other photos because if you have only been tuned in for the past 8 years or so you have no clue as to what it looks like to see David take down Goliath and see a smaller, outmanned program consistently go for the big boy's jugular(There are so many instances of this in the '88 tU game it would make your head spin). Instead of games scheduled against a BCS program looked upon as a detriment and just another pay check, at one time not long ago it was looked upon as an OPPORTUNITY. Hopefully I'll be able to upload as many images as possible enough to be able to give people who have never seen the video an idea how that game went down.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

I was at family reunion in Oklahoma the weekend of the tU game. I had been thinking about attending NT, but that game was the clincher. My cousin, a UTA grad, and I listened to the game and even the Horn announcers were saying it (the final Cash phantom TD) was a bad call.

That game started my love affair with the Mean Green.

---This is even worse than I remember. I was listening to a UT radio version and later saw "Highlights?' on TV and newspaper writeups afterwards which were bad enough. Was the then Gov. Clements paying UT refs in Austin as well...??... He had been paying the SMU players in that era and got them kicked out of the NCAA. ( #4 below).

http://espn.go.com/page2/s/list/lies.html

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66

Three plays ...

I don't have a horns account, nor do I want one. Someone can post this video on their board if they so desire.

When I follow this link and the video starts to play it's all screwed up and I can't really see anything. Anyone have a thought as to why? I'd like to see it.

He's so out it's not funny, but it's the previous TD that's the hideously bad call.  I've watched that video over and over.  It's caused me much strife in my life.

Since I was the one who shot half of that video... I too have seen it many times and has caused me strife... and I get that same taste in my mouth when the same thing happened to RICE, KANSAS, and others including a recent big game when a QB threw a TD with one knee on the ground. Oh, and they all involve Texas being the benefactor of a horribly bad call. I used to root for Texas when they played OU until 1988. It's just pitiful.

Three plays ...

Thanks for uploading this video I posted here one of the last times we played UT.

Thanks Chad.  I was there, but I don't recall seeing a better view of that "catch."

Thanks, a very good friend of mine was the camera operator who took the sideline angle. Dale Hansen at WFAA and several Austin TV stations called us for copies of that shot the following week. We had the best angle from the sidelines of that particular crime committed on that day.

Gruu has some video from that fateful day.  He's the one that shot it.  Maybe he will come out of his slumber and post it for us to not enjoy.

Thanks MeanMag,

If you view the master tapes in full resolution, as I have many times, you can clearly see that his knees hit the carpet a foot or more out of bounds on play #3. And a few blind and ignorant posters on the wHorns board thinks it was a "close" call also pointed out that there was time on the clock for UT to score after that play... well, if you saw that game NT held Texas to a goal line stand earlier in that game.. so you can't say that they could have just punched it in on the next play... plain bs. You should see the entire game yourself. I can give you a copy.

Guest JohnDenver

I couldn't remember who posted this video 5 or so years ago. I was surprised to even still have it laying around on a computer. It took some searching to find it...

biggrin.gif

Three plays ...

Hi JohnDenver,

I'm the UT fan who put the clip on the UT board and I wanted to ask where did you get your dvd copy? Your version has the sideline shots which show the fumble and the last TD which I agree was a bad call. The TD in the middle was not a bad call IMO, both feet were in.

I attended the 1988 UNT-UT game as a student and we all felt UNT was robbed.

great video JD... also, fyi, I met the real JohnDenver once in a CA hotel lobby...