DRC saysRV has not been contacted by LaLaf

OldTimer

UNT AD Villarreal says he has not been contacted by UL-Lafayette

07:13 AM CST on Tuesday, January 17, 2006

North Texas athletic director Rick Villarreal said Monday that he has not been contacted by Louisiana-Lafayette about its opening for an athletic director.

UL-Lafayette began searching for a new AD when Nelson Schexnayder resigned in July. UL-Lafayette president Ray Authement has appointed a 12-member search committee to find the Ragin’ Cajuns new AD.

UL-Lafayette’s search has been slowed by the effects of Hurricanes Rita and Katrina.

Villarreal has been UNT’s AD since April 4, 2001.

—Staff report

Then WHY, pray tell, does this issue seem to come up at least once a year????

Two theories:

1. He is looking to leave

2. He is just trying to gain more leverage in his current position.

He could just be testing the waters. I am not doing myself justice career-wise if I do not occasionally look out there to see what else there might be.

You know, all of this media attention really could not be that bad for his career, huh? wink.gif

Two theories:

1.  He is looking to leave

2.  He is just trying to gain more leverage in his current position.

He could just be testing the waters.  I am not doing myself justice career-wise if I do not occasionally look out there to see what else there might be.

You know, all of this media attention really could not be that bad for his career, huh? wink.gif

I hope he's not applying year after year because that means we have someone no one else wants. Like Plumm always says....

I like RV and hope that's not the case, but it makes me wonder

I hope he's not applying year after year because that means we have someone no one else wants. Like Plumm always says....

I like RV and hope that's not the case, but it makes me wonder

that doesnt make a bit of sense to me.

What emerging program wouldnt want RV? He has been successful at So Miss and now look at all that is going on around NT. I would think a place like UL laff would love to have RV, as would many others in the belt and other mid major conferences

Two theories:

1. He is looking to leave

2. He is just trying to gain more leverage in his current position.

He could just be testing the waters. I am not doing myself justice career-wise if I do not occasionally look out there to see what else there might be.

You know, all of this media attention really could not be that bad for his career, huh?

Several reasons: Because the fans/boostes make it an issue. Reading too much into articles, etc. Secondly: because he is a hard worker, and good at his job. Thus lots of athletic departments will want him. Not that he wants to go anywhere, just people want him.

And lastly: because many UNT fans/boostes still have a complex that everyone is trying to put UNT down, or steal what it has. That's why everyone freaked out at the ESPN commentator's comment about Jamario (which fans translated into transfer rumors). That's why RV must be considering every open AD job in America.

Several reasons: Because the fans/boostes make it an issue.  Reading too much into articles, etc.  Secondly: because he is a hard worker, and good at his job.  Thus lots of athletic departments will want him.  Not that he wants to go anywhere, just people want him.

And lastly: because many UNT fans/boostes still have a complex that everyone is trying to put UNT down, or steal what it has.  That's why everyone freaked out at the ESPN commentator's comment about Jamario (which fans translated into transfer rumors).  That's why RV must be considering every open AD job in America.

Couldn't have said it better Ken, we have some of the most paranoid/delusional/conspiracy laced theory crazed fans in the NCAA world. RV has gotten more accomplished in the last 4 years then any AD has ever actually pulled off. Even Fry can't compete with what RV has done - facilities wise. Of course he is going to be in high demand - and every Sun Belt, WAC, and CUSA school is going to take a look at him when they need a new AD. Different schools court AD's in different ways - and sometimes schools, newspapers, and fans court AD's/Coaches through the media. Write an article about who you want for your AD - see how he responds - and move forward. Either RV will call the UL President and tell him if he is interested or he will just ignore it and wait for them to contact him - but so far (according to RV) - they have not contacted him directly. If it is a significantly amount of more money; I would imagine that RV would consider it. We have a lot of question marks right now - our athletic's friendly Prez has still not been replaced... the athletic's friendly BOR have their terms coming to a close this summer, and our football coach is not exactly his best friend.

Is UL an upward move or a lateral move? That is a good question - I would say that it is a lateral move... but that they have certain positives over us... and we have certain positives over them. It all depends on if RV thinks he can move UL forward faster then NT. And I imagine that RV wouldn't mind getting a pay raise. Perhaps Bobby Ray and the Board can squeeze in a pay raise for RV. Over the last few years, everyone seems to have gotten a contract extension or a raise... including a lot of RV's own staff - but I can't remember reading anything about RV getting a raise for himself. Perhaps it is time to lock up our AD just like we would lock up any up and coming coach.

Is UL an upward move or a lateral move?  That is a good question - I would say that it is a lateral move... but that they have certain positives over us... and we have certain positives over them.  It all depends on if RV thinks he can move UL forward faster then NT.  And I imagine that RV wouldn't mind getting a pay raise.  Perhaps Bobby Ray and the Board can squeeze in a pay raise for RV.  Over the last few years, everyone seems to have gotten a contract extension or a raise... including a lot of RV's own staff - but I can't remember reading anything about RV getting a raise for himself.  Perhaps it is time to lock up our AD just like we would lock up any up and coming coach.

If the school President, Chancellor and BoR allow RV to do his job without interference then all the power to him on taking another job. UNT is holding RV down, he has done of good for the school, but it hurts that he is not allowed to run his department without the hands of others messing around undercutting him.

If the school President, Chancellor and BoR allow RV to do his job without interference then all the power to him on taking  another job. UNT is holding RV down, he has done of good for the school, but it hurts that he is not allowed to run his department without the hands of others messing around undercutting him.

Yes, there is an internal power struggle going on right now (has been for awhile) and RV and Pohl are too good to just lay down and take it

oh and don't forget about the SMUNT conspiracy!

If the school President, Chancellor and BoR allow RV to do his job without interference then all the power to him on taking  another job. UNT is holding RV down, he has done of good for the school, but it hurts that he is not allowed to run his department without the hands of others messing around undercutting him.

Sorry but the fact Dr. Pohl was let go is why RV is looking. Pohl hired RV and was his supporter. Now he is gone. If Rick could take a lesser job at ULL he would if it meant he had the love of his President.

ULL is an "emerging program"? blink.gif  I don't think so.  ULL also has budget problems with the State of Louisiana, courtesy of Katrina and Rita.

Ok its an "attempting to emerge" program. Its kind of like how there are no longer any "third world countries", just developed and "developing nations". Call it whatever you want, my point was, it seems like RV has done a decent job turning around programs so I dont know why it would be odd to some of you that other schools would have interest.

ULL would be a lateral move at best. Thats why I dont think it would/will happen.

Why is everyone so worried about the Pizza Man taking the job at UL-La. As far as my accounting goes he is still about $90 million short on his promise. And that’s if you give him credit for the Mattress Mac Million and the money donated for the tennis center.

I seem to recall when he was hired. He claimed (lied about) raising $95 million in 5 years. He has done a nice job getting us a foundation for a Women’s soccer program (back2back SBC titles and tourney appearances), established a Women’s Softball program and set it back 5 years with hiring of the wrong coach to start the program. The Women’s track program seems to be in a little better shape than when he got here, but the Men are still in the same spot. He finally hired a Women’s golf coach, under threats of a Title lawsuit. The Volleyball team is still in the bottom of one of the most average conferences in College volleyball.

He allows the Bell-Cow program’s (football) coach to continually bad-mouth fans and allows his employees (Ramon Flannigan & George Dunham) to physically confront fans without any repercussions. He doesn’t force Darrell Dickey to run a tight ship, which results in embarrassing failures for the program. (i.e. the problems with the Cougar McBride and the others 4 or 5 years ago. The problems Jeremy Pearl had with the law before the N.O. Bowl. The bar fight after the Air Force game. Refusing to discipline players for on-the-field activities.) It is a well-known fact that RV and DD do not get along and are not on good terms. Rick takes credit for the four Football Conference titles and turning the Football program around and Dickey does not like it.

He allows the Women’s basketball team to continue to stew in its own mediocrity under a coach who has been at NT 12 years longer than she should have been. The Men’s basketball team is getting turned around. But where were the promotions for the SBC Conference Tournament last year. The attendance at the Tournament was embarrassing and it has been even worse this season. There is a lack of organization in the NT athletic department and it starts at the top with Rick V.

I am still looking for something that has so many on this board ready to proclaim him GOD of all Athletic Directors. He has done a decent job, but he needs to move on and let somebody who really wants this University to succeed at being a major player in College Athletics take over.

We need somebody who can deliver on the NEW football stadium, not just make impressive videos that make it look good.

We need a fundraiser that will not stop until everyone that has ever attended NT is a member of the Mean Green Club.

This university deserves a great athletic department with a great leader and the Pizza Man is not that leader.

Why is everyone so worried about the Pizza Man taking the job at UL-La. As far as my accounting goes he is still about $90 million short on his promise. And that’s if you give him credit for the Mattress Mac Million and the money donated for the tennis center.

I seem to recall when he was hired. He claimed (lied about) raising $95 million in 5 years. He has done a nice job getting us a foundation for a Women’s soccer program (back2back SBC titles and tourney appearances), established a Women’s Softball program and set it back 5 years with hiring of the wrong coach to start the program. The Women’s track program seems to be in a little better shape than when he got here, but the Men are still in the same spot. He finally hired a Women’s golf coach, under threats of a Title lawsuit. The Volleyball team is still in the bottom of one of the most average conferences in College volleyball.

He allows the Bell-Cow program’s (football) coach to continually bad-mouth fans and allows his employees (Ramon Flannigan & George Dunham) to physically confront fans without any repercussions. He doesn’t force Darrell Dickey to run a tight ship, which results in embarrassing failures for the program. (i.e. the problems with the Cougar McBride and the others 4 or 5 years ago. The problems Jeremy Pearl had with the law before the N.O. Bowl. The bar fight after the Air Force game. Refusing to discipline players for on-the-field activities.) It is a well-known fact that RV and DD do not get along and are not on good terms. Rick takes credit for the four Football Conference titles and turning the Football program around and Dickey does not like it.

He allows the Women’s basketball team to continue to stew in its own mediocrity under a coach who has been at NT 12 years longer than she should have been. The Men’s basketball team is getting turned around. But where were the promotions for the SBC Conference Tournament last year. The attendance at the Tournament was embarrassing and it has been even worse this season. There is a lack of organization in the NT athletic department and it starts at the top with Rick V.

I am still looking for something that has so many on this board ready to proclaim him GOD of all Athletic Directors. He has done a decent job, but he needs to move on and let somebody who really wants this University to succeed at being a major player in College Athletics take over.

We need somebody who can deliver on the NEW football stadium, not just make impressive videos that make it look good.

We need a fundraiser that will not stop until everyone that has ever attended NT is a member of the Mean Green Club.

This university deserves a great athletic department with a great leader and the Pizza Man is not that leader.

haha

Several reasons: Because the fans/boostes make it an issue.  Reading too much into articles, etc.  Secondly: because he is a hard worker, and good at his job.  Thus lots of athletic departments will want him.  Not that he wants to go anywhere, just people want him.

And lastly: because many UNT fans/boostes still have a complex that everyone is trying to put UNT down, or steal what it has.  That's why everyone freaked out at the ESPN commentator's comment about Jamario (which fans translated into transfer rumors).  That's why RV must be considering every open AD job in America.

Wrong-o. RV finished second for the nmsu AD job last year. he was a finalist for the east carolinaa job too. the ULL article said a current sitting sbc AD had applied for their job and the writer implied RV would be good for lafayete. why don't you want to believe he is looking elsewhere?

He allows the Bell-Cow program’s (football) coach to continually bad-mouth fans and allows his employees (Ramon Flannigan & George Dunham) to physically confront fans without any repercussions. He doesn’t force Darrell Dickey to run a tight ship, which results in embarrassing  failures for the program. (i.e. the problems with the Cougar McBride and the others 4 or 5 years ago. The problems Jeremy Pearl had with the law before the N.O. Bowl. The bar fight after the Air Force game. Refusing to discipline players for on-the-field activities.) It is a well-known fact that RV and DD do not get along and are not on good terms. Rick takes credit for the four Football Conference titles and turning the Football program around and Dickey does not like it.

I agree with Green Bat's great post.

He allows the Bell-Cow program’s (football) coach to continually bad-mouth fans and allows his employees (Ramon Flannigan & George Dunham) to physically confront fans without any repercussions. He doesn’t force Darrell Dickey to run a tight ship, which results in embarrassing  failures for the program. (i.e. the problems with the Cougar McBride and the others 4 or 5 years ago. The problems Jeremy Pearl had with the law before the N.O. Bowl. The bar fight after the Air Force game. Refusing to discipline players for on-the-field activities.) It is a well-known fact that RV and DD do not get along and are not on good terms. Rick takes credit for the four Football Conference titles and turning the Football program around and Dickey does not like it.

I agree with you but RV has not been allowed to carry the Athletic Department on his back due to the constant meddling of BoR members and the overall University not liking Athletics, so raising funds for athletics might be alittle bit tougher if the University sets many alumni off-limits of sorts for Athletic Donations.

Awesome!

you are under 25 right?/ you not around during Helwig years? there has been more good done inside the athleticc department than any other era at unt. dd is an anchor but rv can't fire him becausee of the bord. maybe you give more money than stupid posts and we couldd have more adverttising?

I agree with you but RV has not been allowed to carry the Athletic Department on his back due to the constant meddling of BoR members and the overall University not liking Athletics, so raising funds for athletics might be alittle bit tougher if the University sets many alumni off-limits of sorts for Athletic Donations.

Binjo! ohmy.gif

you are under 25 right?/    you not around during Helwig years?  there has been more good done inside the athleticc department than any other era at unt.  dd is an anchor but rv can't fire him becausee of the bord.  maybe you give more money than stupid posts and we couldd have more adverttising?

If you're over 25 and that's how you spell and communicate, I hope you aren't an alumnus or you are on medication.

Seems like that was a decently thought-out post - I wish someone with respond with more than just calling him an idiot for writing it. I said it before and its not a popular opinion with the day crowd, but what if other schools except for the ones on our own level (and not even a few of them according to an earlier post) just don't want RV? It doesn't make him any less a good fit for us, but why is criticism forbidden to some?

We have him now, we'll appreciate him while he's here, and we'll move forward when/if he leaves.

Me: 1

You: 8

SCOREBOARD!!! laugh.gif

I know its an emotional topic - we all need to think RV loves us all unconditionally to sleep better at night.

I'll tell you why I think Greenbat's post may not be the smartest, and why I don't support the thinking expressed in his post.

I think it's easy to be critical of the guy who is most visible. As outsiders it is very easy to look at RV and say, "well he's just not doing enough because he didn't raise $XXX,XXX,XXX dollars." We as supporters of the program, would like to place blame on his shoulders, instead of the thousands of other alumns (non-supporters) that don't make a trip to Denton for a single game. It's even easier after the type of football season we just had to start pointing fingers.

He is right about one thing though, and that is that UNT deserves a hard working individual that would like to see the university at the very highest level. I hope one day to get a UNT alumn in the position.

He has done some great things here where before him, just haven't gotten done. Had he not shown up, those things probably wouldn't have gotten done. And, I am sure that he will do things that probably wouldn't have been taken care of, had he not been here. We might not be playing D-I football right now.

UNT is known for doing the most with the amount of money it receives and the athletics department is no different. I choose not to blame Rick for the alumnus apathy and generations of apathy before him. He has done a great job thus far, and shouldn't be damned for delivering a dream for a division I football field, where in the past no one thought it could be done. You labeled him a liar for not producing 95 million dollars out of thin air? Money doesn't grow on trees, and if you are going to hold him liable for that, then you my friend will be my next vote for AD, president, and god. Hopefully he hasn't given up on it, because I think that he can make it happen, even when putting up with some of the crap rumored to go on in the administration and faculty. He probably looked at the enrollment base, the alumnus base, and what other schools are able to raise and thought it to be an attainable goal. He probably didn't know some of the hurdles he has had to cross were there.