Troy Hires a new OC

MeanGreen61

Post from the Sun Belt board.

Blakeney Selects Franklin, Moore To Fill Coaching Vacancies

TROY, Ala. – Troy University head football coach Larry Blakeney moved quickly to fill a pair of vacancies on his coaching staff by naming former University of Kentucky offensive coordinator Tony Franklin to the same position on his staff and Matt Moore to coach the Trojans offensive line.

Both coaches will begin working in their new positions immediately.

"I tried to hire Tony three years ago in an effort to employ his system to move the football," Blakeney said. "Things didn’t work out then, but they did this time. I think Tony understands what he wants to do and what he can do. He wants to get back to coaching and I am glad that we could put this together."

Blakeney said the new offensive system the Trojans will employ next year will be exciting to watch.

"The system is just a way to move the football and score points that has proven to work around the country," Blakeney said. "Kentucky was one of the first schools to use it and Mike Leach at Texas Tech is using it with great success. It is not a miracle. We still have to recruit the players to put this approach to work. Hoover is the most prolific offensive team in this state and runs this system. Russellville is another successful school in this state that is using this system."

Since guiding one of the top passing offenses in college football at Kentucky from 1998-2000 Franklin has primarily worked as a offensive consultant for numerous high school programs in both Kentucky and Alabama. He also served as head coach and general manager of the National Indoor Football League team in Lexington, Ky., during the 2003 season.

"I am very proud to be at Troy University and to have this opportunity to work with Larry Blakeney," Franklin said. "I have heard about what a great person he is for years, both at Kentucky and while working with high schools here in Alabama. He has a great reputation, as does the program here at Troy."

While coaching at Kentucky, Franklin tutored former Wildcats All-American quarterback Tim Couch, who went on to be a No. 1 draft choice in the NFL. Franklin described the style of offense the Trojans will run as "fast paced".

"We will be a no-huddle team that will throw first and run second," Franklin said. "We will spread the ball around to everyone on the field. It is a very fan-friendly offense and one that if you are a quarterback, receiver or running back, is like waking up in a dream."

Franklin said he will employ an offensive style very similar to the what is being run at Texas Tech. Over the last three seasons, Texas Tech has led all of Division I in passing offense every year, and has also ranked in the top 10 nationally in total offense and scoring each season. Over the last three seasons, the Red Raiders have averaged 428.2 yards passing per game, 530.5 yards of total offense per game and 40.25 points per game.

Prior to his time at the University of Kentucky, Franklin spent 15 seasons as an assistant or head coach at various high schools in Kentucky. Franklin has also authored two best-selling books in recent years. His 2001 book "Fourth Down and Life to Go" was an inside account of the University of Kentucky football program under former head coach Hal Mumme.

His second book, "Victor’s Victory" was published in August 2005 and tells the story of Victor Hill, a 15-year-old football player at Hoover High School who died on the practice field in 2002.

Moore joins the Trojans coaching staff after serving as head football coach at North Gwinnett (Ga.) High School this past season, where he led the team to a 7-4 record in his first year while running a version of Franklin’s offense. Prior to his position at North Gwinnett, Moore served as an assistant coach at Hoover High under Rush Propst for six seasons, helping the Buccaneers to three consecutive Class 6A state titles and a 77-7 record.

"Matt Moore played under Mumme at Valdosta State and he was at Hoover for six years running the same system," Blakeney said. "He has coached offensive line, has coordinated and has been a head coach. I feel good about these two guys and their roles here."

Moore is a Canton, Georgia, native who played collegiately at Valdosta State University where he was a three-year starter on the offensive line from 1991-94. He started 34 consecutive games at left guard and was a first team All-Gulf South Conference selection as a senior.

"I am excited about this opportunity to coach at Troy University," Moore said. "The offense that Coach Franklin will put in is the same as what I ran while playing at Valdosta State, and is what we ran with such success at Hoover. We put it in at North Gwinnett this past year and took the team to the playoffs for just the third time in school history."

Needless to say, we're pumped. Lots of benefits with these two hires. No matter what happens, our offense can't be any worse than the last few years. Troy fans got a big Christmas present early. We're hoping to get a few more with some of the JUCO players we have hanging on.

By the way, Happy Holidays to all of you guys (and gals) and your families. Here's to 2006 washing away all of the heartaches of last year.

Edited by Trojanman

Blakeney said the new offensive system the Trojans will employ next year will be exciting to watch.

"The system is just a way to move the football and score points that has proven to work around the country," Blakeney said. "Kentucky was one of the first schools to use it and Mike Leach at Texas Tech is using it with great success.

Now why would someone want to employ an offense that "will be exciting to watch"?

It's good to read now and then that some understand the concept that this is an ENTERTAINMENT BUSINESS.

Rick

Offense sells tickets,defense wins championships.

North Texas had neither.

I heard an announcer during one of the random bowl games comment on Texas Tech's ability to recruit quality players out to the states' version of the "down under", West Texas. He said, and I'm paraphrasing from my feeble memory, "Tech can get the quality players to play out in Lubbock because of the offense they run". Of course, being in the Big 12 can't hurt.

Edited by DeepGreen

"Tech can get the quality players to play out in Lubbock because of the offense they run".  Of course, being in the Big 12 can't hurt.

I agree. Its both. At least in the Big 12 you can say to top talent, "we are gonna go to a BCS bowl game and go for a National Championship".

With an exciting offense, you get the casual fan to tune in. I will go see a tech game having little interest in Texas Tech solely because I know it will be fun to watch. On the flip side, it doesnt always take a wacky offense to accomplish that. Sometimes it just takes an exciting player. I'll watch a Falcons game because of Vick, and I have ZERO interest in most of the NFL. Same with Young, Texas. Bush, USC etc. But until Tech wins anything that matters, I'm not jumping on the gimmicky offense band wagon.

Edited by Eagle1855

I agree. Its both. At least in the Big 12 you can say to top talent, "we are gonna go to a BCS bowl game and go for a National Championship".

With an exciting offense, you get the casual fan to tune in. I will go see a tech game having little interest in Texas Tech solely because I know it will be fun to watch. On the flip side, it doesnt always take a wacky offense to accomplish that. Sometimes it just takes an exciting player. I'll watch a Falcons game because of Vick, and I have ZERO interest in most of the NFL. Same with Young, Texas. Bush, USC etc. But until Tech wins anything that matters, I'm not jumping on the gimmicky offense band wagon.

Tech has won something that matters, they've won the interest of the national media, in big fashion.

Rick

Tech has won something that matters, they've won the interest of the national media, in big fashion.

Ok fair enough, but its hard to quantify "the hearts and affections of America".

My point is, the offense isnt infallible. U of H had a hell of an offense in the late 80's and early 90's but it was rendered ineffective once people figured out how to stop it. Same for Techs offense.

The defensive juggernaut Baylor held Tech to 6 points into the 4th quarter. The "overrated" Texas Longhorns destroyed Tech. Tech lost to 3-8 Oklahoma State. They needed help from officials to beat 7-4 OU. They beat up on 2 and a half div 1AA teams. They beat an A&M team with one of worst secondaries in the nation and needed a last second TD to beat a lousy 7-4 Nebraska team. All of this = worst 9-2 team in the nation, with 0 quality wins. Most of the Big 12 has figured the offense out.

I cant think of a time in the last few decades where a gimmicky offense won a championship. If there was one, please share. Defenses are just too fast these days. Its great for building interest in a program, I agree with you there. It makes for exciting games. In fact, I wouldnt be opposed to something like that at NT if the right guy came along and could do it effectively. I'd love to have 9-win seasons.

Of course, I wouldnt be opposed to ANY type of offensive production at NT.

Edited by Eagle1855

Tech simply needs a defense. They nearly took the horns three years ago. Till then, the paying customer will continue to tune in to see if they can "OUTSCORE" their opponents or not. I'd take their national reputation, a 15th ranking and a yearly conference loss or two or three in the Big 12 over any of our running hype.

Again, this is an entertainment business. Even with a ranked rushing game 4 of the last 5 years our offense has averaged 106th nationally since 1999. Hard to call that entertainment. I've had to convince myself that it is, to see "if we can run on them" or not. But our overall conservative game plan kills most of that.

Rick

Without question we run one of the most conservative and most boring offenses in the nation. And after this year, you can tack on "most ineffective" as well. This is why I am suprised to see the same OC here. You would think with the fan altercations and the "awe-inspiring" production stats, there are enough reasons to find a new OC. But I guess thats a whole other issue unto itself. I dont think you can teach DD or RF new tricks, so I expect more of the same next year. Hopefully with at least a little more effectiveness. I might need a straight jacket if SMU does anything remotely close to what Tulsa did in our opener.

Without question we run one of the most conservative and most boring offenses in the nation. And after this year, you can tack on "most ineffective" as well. This is why I am suprised to see the same OC here. You would think with the fan altercations and the "awe-inspiring" production stats, there are enough reasons to find a new OC. But I guess thats a whole other issue unto itself. I dont think you can teach DD or RF new tricks, so I expect more of the same next year. Hopefully with at least a little more effectiveness. I might need a straight jacket if SMU does anything remotely close to what Tulsa did in our opener.

If it's affectiveness your looking for, ie...a winning season again, you had better conjure up another top 25(or better) defense or this offensive system will continue it's usual ways. That is why finding a star D tackle is or should be No 1 on our list right now, and go from there. Anything else and you can expect the same.

Rick