I'll get it started

Green92

The Link

Thought I would be the first to say Barnett to North Texas.  biggrin.gif

Wow and to all those who said we would be stupid to fire a coach with a losing record and had gone to 4 straight bowls.

Look at the Buffs they are 7-5 and going bowling and Barnett, despite how despicable he is, has a 49-38 record over a similar timeframe as DD. ohmy.gif

Wow and to all those who said we would be stupid to fire a coach with a losing record and had gone to 4 straight bowls.

Look at the Buffs they are 7-5 and going bowling and Barnett, despite how despicable he is, has a 49-38 record over a similar timeframe as DD.  ohmy.gif

Wasn't Barnett the coach who brought Northwestern Univ some respectability in the early to mid '90's?

Wasn't Barnett the coach who brought Northwestern Univ some respectability in the early to mid '90's?

Wait a minute! A coach getting fired after his team played in the Big 12 Championship Game? Hellsbells! At UNT, our Board of Regents would have rubber-stamped for him a 4 year extension! ph34r.gif

Yes he was, Deep, but he was also the one who bashed the state of Texas when a couple of his players he recruited from our great and sovereign state became disciplinary problems. Barnett's comment on those 2 from the Lone Star State: "Well, you have to consider where they are from?" blink.gif

But with our present "going South" situation at North Texas, Gary Barnett could quickly be forgiven. ohmy.gif (Going "South" at "North" Tejas? Is that an oxymoron in a directional sort of way?

This thread is (I think) in jest, but FWIW, UTEP became a Top 25 school almost overnight with a similar hire and on that situation I re-iterate: Anyone think UTEP's talent level became that dramatically better (insert subliminal "superior coaching") that quickly?

Yet, we still have some of our best who think DD merely getting this MG football ship back to the top of the SBC will be just fine (OOC wins or not, I suppose). unsure.gif Yet that is just not what most of us grew up with with this Mean Green football and that part many of us will guarantee to those who seem now to be most content in accepting far less with a DDickey-led football program.

GOD BLESS THE FIRST TEXAS RANGERS...

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Plum-

Another good post.

If I may let me ask you a couple of questions.

1. Knowing that DD will be at the "helm" at least 1 more year what would it take for you to reconsider keeping him through the 2008 season??

2. If DD were not able to "right the ship" next year would you go after a "high profile" coach reguardless of his reputation?

3. 250 words or less laugh.gif

Plum-

Another good post.

If I may let me ask you a couple of questions.

1.  Knowing that DD will be at the "helm" at least 1 more year what would it take for you to reconsider keeping him through the 2008 season??

2.  If DD were not able to "right the ship" next year would you go after a "high profile" coach reguardless of his reputation?

3.  250 words or less laugh.gif

Answer to Question #1: DD in 2006 would need wins over Tulsa & La Tech to prove to many that his recruiting has not been that inferior to those 2 (as losses to the Golden Hurrricane and Bulldogs this season somewhat suggests)? Plus, DD needs a 2006 record that has to be over .500. One at .500 is a continual red flag or sign that Dickey Ball is not progressing at all like I feel most in the Mean Green Nation want it to. If you are not progressing in the SBC, that would probably mean your program is in complete reverse mode and going to the bottom of the Bottom 10.

I would almost bet anything that anything close to .500 in 2006 would be enough for the NT BOR's to give DDickey yet another year to continue widening the gap of his career W/L record at UNT. Anyone think UColordo officials had a problem pulling the trigger with Barnett? And this a coach who had a team in a Big 12 championship game?

Our NT BOR's seem to not want to pull the trigger with their boy Dickey and I think this has actually come down to (with them-not most of us): "But he is such a nice guy to us and don't forgot those 4 (yuk! yuk!) bowl games.

4 bowl games our NT Board of Regents say? Yes, 4 bowl games that most NCAA D1-A colleges wanting to fill their own head football coaching vacancies don't seem quite as impressed with as do our NT BOR's. Couple all that with the cold harsh reality that Darrell Dickey has yet to be on any of their serious lists to fill their jobs? I would think that that (alone) would be enough of a red flag for NT officials and Mean Green fans everywhere to suspect that all really must not be all that glowingly successful with a DDickey-led NT football program. In fact, some outsiders might tell North Texas Exes/Mean Green fans: Are you people blind about whats really going on around you up there in Denton?

Answer to Question #2: To use an oft' used phrase and the title of a hit song by UNT Ex Don Henley: In a New York Minute. cool.gif

UTEP became a Top 25 school with a coach that hardly had an altar boy reputation when he first arrived at UTEP. Of course with the hire of anyone with an "alleged" shady past, you just have to do in depth background checks concerning that coach before you'd put him on the UNT payroll.

Answer to Question #3: Well, ee, I did my best. smile.gif

GOD BLESS AMERICA!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Plum--

My requirements to keep DD are:

1.  Must win the SBC.

2.  Win at least two OOC games next year against UT, LaT, Tulsa or SMU.

3.  Be competitive in ALL games and get away from his philosophy of keeping the game close in the 4th to win.  I would like to see a new philosophy of, "we came here to kick your bu**!"

I guess that's why people call you an apologist (jk) tongue.gif

- that seems like decent criteria for everyone across the board to agree on

You've got to be kidding.  If we win every single conf. game the ship will be righted.  I dont see how you can say that after how awful we looked.  If we win every single conf game. + SMU, that's a good season.

That is exactly my point. Back to SBC wins and no or one OOC wins. Is that all we want from this program?

if Gary Barnett were to step foot in the city of Denton Tx, I hope someone would shoot him. he is the dritiest person involved in NCAA football and that is really saying somthing. I cant belive that they allowed him to be there as long as they did. I hope no other schools hire him even as an assistant. he should be in jail.

M.Scott--

There is no use being "subjective" if you can place "realistic" criteria on a problem.

I do not believe that we can say, "fire DD" without agreeing what is expected of him & his coaching staff next year, in very realistic terms!!

I think the realistic criteria of winning the SBC and winning 2 OOC games is viable for our current team and coaching staff.

If the current coaching staff can not come up with appropriate "game plans" to win SBC and OOC games and be competitive then I guess I will have to stand in line to sign the petition to give DD his walking papers. One great line in, "The Hunt for Red October" the Admiral told the CIA agent aboard the carrier, "Hell son, even the Russians don't take a dump without a plan." Well, we need a plan and it ain't Charmin.

M.Scott--

There is no use being "subjective" if you can place "realistic" criteria on a problem.

I do not believe that we can say, "fire DD" without agreeing what is expected of him  & his coaching staff next year, in very realistic terms!!

I think the realistic criteria of winning the SBC and winning 2 OOC games is viable for our current team and coaching staff.

If the current coaching staff can not come up with appropriate "game plans" to win SBC and OOC games and be competitive then I guess I will have to stand in line to sign the petition to give DD his walking papers.  One great line in, "The Hunt for Red October" the Admiral told the CIA agent aboard the carrier, "Hell son, even the Russians don't take a dump without a plan."  Well, we need a plan and it ain't Charmin.

I agree with everything you said and also agree on the give him a year thing. I just think its funny that yesterday you were labelled an "apologist" when you are setting some good criteria and really only said 1 more year all along. I was making ligh of the situation, not taking shots at you.

I'd like to see how DD measures up to what should be very realistic goals.

I wouldn't waste time with a petition though - surveys and petitions do not really bother NT's administration (ask the professors.)

If you want the NCAA to be looking into NT every move, then yes lets bring Barnett here. Colorado anyone??? Before that it was Washington where he took the first bus out of town. Lucky for him he did cause the NCAA came in and punished the school for things he did.

I think the firing was 75% off the field problems and 25% on the field(losing last 3)

Plum--

My requirements to keep DD are:

1.  Must win the SBC.

2.  Win at least two OOC games next year against UT, LaT, Tulsa or SMU.

3.  Be competitive in ALL games and get away from his philosophy of keeping the game close in the 4th to win.  I would like to see a new philosophy of, "we came here to kick your bu**!"

MUST BEAT

SMU

LATECH

Don't touch Rick N. with a ten foot pole - your program will land on probation at some point.

Barnett - don't care for him, but a change of scenery can do wonders for a coach and program - see UTEP.

Barnett needs a year to chill and recollect the thoughts - we don't go back to the NO Bowl next year he is in. He made stupid comments but was not involved in the illegal stuff - We are hiring a football coach to win games, not to stand next to a priest on the sideline - no altar boy needed.

GMG

M.Scott--

I do not believe that we can say, "fire DD" without agreeing what is expected of him  & his coaching staff next year, in very realistic terms!!

If the current coaching staff can not come up with appropriate "game plans" to win SBC and OOC games and be competitive then I guess I will have to stand in line to sign the petition to give DD his walking papers.  One great line in, "The Hunt for Red October" the Admiral told the CIA agent aboard the carrier, "Hell son, even the Russians don't take a dump without a plan."  Well, we need a plan and it ain't Charmin.

Why is this realistic criteria for 2006 but not this year? Just curious.