DD rant

GrandGreen

Is it the end of DD’s run of success? Not talking about him getting fired, the school can’t afford that thanks to a series of questionable contract extensions. He is signed through 2009, I think. With performances like Saturday, it is doubtful he is going to get his dream job anytime soon, so he is going to be here a while. I fear that even NT's Belt success cannot be continued unless DD's recruiting improves.

I know even after the last game, I am going to get blasted for this again, but DD is his own worst enemy. He and NT have rode the fruits of his one great recruiting year, the year (2001) he recruited Kennedy, Hall, Spencer, Buckles, etc. The last of those players played last year. NT just got stomped by a Tulsa team who recruited 6 or 7 of the area (DMN) top 100 to NT’s zero this year. Tulsa is not an upper echelon athletic program, yet it is evident that they are beating NT not only on the playing fields but in the recruiting battle.

I know that DD will tell you that Tulsa is a great program and they have a lot of advantages that NT does not have. Really, Tulsa is a small private school and plays in the shadow of the two state schools. Tulsa has a relatively new coaching staff and plays in an antiquated stadium. But I am willing to bet that Kragthorpe does not continually downgrade Tulsa and try to recruit kids with a mantra of the adversity they will face as a Golden Hurricane.

How can DD recruit for a school that he seems to have so little faith in? I can’t believe a recruit with a lot of options wanting to join DD’s team to face all that adversity that he constantly refers to. Judging from the recent recruiting results not many do. I am sure I am going to get replies referring to DD’s recruiting successes such as Thomas, Lineberry, etc. Yes every team at any level is going to get some excellent overlooked players, but can anyone get enough to be competitive at anything but the bottom level of 1A. For example, NT got some great players while in 1AA: Maher, Scott Davis, Camper, Redwine, etc., but I don’t think they could consistently complete (exclude 1988) at an IA level. I hope no one interprets this as being anti-player; I do appreciate anyone with the good sense and fortune to wear the Green and hope that they have great individual and team success.

Yes, I am tired of DD. Not primarily because of embarrassing defeats against clubs that we should at least be competitive with, but because he does not have a clue about the value and potential of the University of North Texas. If he did, he would sell that instead of his constant laments about the monumental challenges to coach at such a disadvantaged institution of higher learning.

Is it the end of DD’s run of success?  Not talking about him getting fired, the school can’t afford that thanks to a series of questionable contract extensions.  He is signed through 2009, I think.  With performances like Saturday, it is doubtful he is going to get his dream job anytime soon, so he is going to be here a while.  I fear that even NT's Belt success cannot be continued unless DD's recruiting improves.

I know even after the last game, I am going to get blasted for this again, but DD is his own worst enemy.  He and NT have rode the fruits of his one great recruiting year, the year (2001) he recruited Kennedy, Hall, Spencer, Buckles, etc.     The last of those players played last year.  NT just got stomped by a Tulsa team who recruited 6 or 7 of the area (DMN) top 100 to NT’s zero this year.   Tulsa is not an upper echelon athletic program, yet it is evident that they are beating NT not only on the playing fields but in the recruiting battle. 

I know that DD will tell you that Tulsa is a great program and they have a lot of advantages that NT does not have.    Really, Tulsa is a small private school and plays in the shadow of the two state schools. Tulsa has a relatively new coaching staff and plays in an antiquated stadium.  But I am willing to bet that Kragthorpe does not continually downgrade Tulsa and try to recruit kids with a mantra of the adversity they will face as a Golden Hurricane. 

How can DD recruit for a school that he seems to have so little faith in?  I can’t believe a recruit with a lot of options wanting to join DD’s team to face all that adversity that he constantly refers to.  Judging from the recent recruiting results not many do.  I am sure I am going to get replies referring to DD’s recruiting successes such as Thomas, Lineberry, etc.   Yes every team at any level is going to get some excellent overlooked players, but can anyone get enough to be competitive at anything but the bottom level of 1A.  For example, NT got some great players while in 1AA: Maher, Scott Davis, Camper, Redwine, etc., but I don’t think they could consistently complete (exclude 1988) at an IA level.    I hope no one interprets this as being anti-player; I do appreciate anyone with the good sense and fortune to wear the Green and hope that they have great individual and team success.

Yes, I am tired of DD. Not primarily because of embarrassing defeats against clubs that we should at least be competitive with, but because he does not have a clue about the value and potential of the University of North Texas.   If he did, he would sell that instead of his constant laments about the monumental challenges to coach at such a disadvantaged institution of higher learning.

Yeah, pretty much. If he thinks it's too hard to recruit players at UNT, he has no idea what some of the other SBC coaches must go through. They get to say to recruits that not only will they be in the worst conference, but there's a chance they may never even sniff a shot at a conference championship even in the SBC.

Edited by MootPoint

I think I told all of you on this board last year after the Texas loss. However, I was blasted all over the place. I'd much rather lose to Texas 60-3 then to Tulsa 54-2 at home. DD and his staff wasn't prepared.....If I don't come to class prepared, my students really know it!

I've never left before a game was over, and I've been coming since 1982.....GO MEAN GREEN !

http://www.kntu.fm/untcoachesshows/index.htm, click on the podcast icon for the 9/5 show, download it to your computer, and then go about to the 16 minute mark where they are talking about the improvement of the Sun Belt conference.

Um...George Dunham hands it to him, but the comment by DD that "we still have the most difficult situation to overcome of anyone in the conference.....I know, I work here EVERYday" should be enough to get him fired. Enough is enough. There is not one alum/student/faculty/administrator that wants to here that crap. If I walked around telling people that my job was the worst job ever, I'd be asked to leave. So should he. SERIOUSLY, when is this going to end?