UNT Bashing on Frog Board

Black Scholes

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought it was the TCU folks that warned us of RV supposedly being a snake oil salesman? blink.gif I guess after making many North Texas alumni believe that their program can indeed do great things once again, I guess it would make other people take notice. However, I think RV wants to stay at North Texas since he really wants to take North Texas to the top and finally has some of the tools to do so.

However, I think RV wants to stay at North Texas since he really wants to take North Texas to the top and finally has some of the tools to do so.

Interesting, I wonder how you explain him applying for at least two jobs in the last year, NMSU and MTSU. These two are not exactly big steps up either.

I thought it was the TCU folks that warned us of RV supposedly being a snake oil salesman? blink.gif I guess after making many North Texas alumni believe that their program can indeed do great things once again, I guess it would make other people take notice.  However, I think RV wants to stay at North Texas since he really wants to take North Texas to the top and finally has some of the tools to do so.

RV wants to go where he can make more money. I just changed jobs after 6 1/2 years at another so I could make more money.

"Money is what drives this country. Those who have it in its proper place in their lives are the happiest of all Americans; but it is still money that takes care of many of our needs and wants." Dr. Plumm McGraw

There is not one non BCS D1-A athletic employee who would turn down a chance to move (laterally) over or up for more money now matter how much they say they love or want to stay at their present job. We have all heard that line, albeit a sincere one from most, but a bigger pay raise at a new job changes most minds.

RV would be a care-taker type of AD at TCU since they already have many things in place. There is a slight gamble inasmuch as a new TCU AD has no idea how being in the MWC is going to affect their total athletic program. FWIW, the Horned Frogs didn't go to a bowl game in their last year in CUSA. If TCU's MWC membership is a bust, a new TCU Athletic Director could very well eventually receive all the blame and that would (unfortunately) have to go on his resume' as he/she looks for a new job.

Yet Rick V can make a more visible and noticeable impact at NT if that is what he wants. Fundraising will make or break any Athletic Director at the University of North Texas. Successful promotions and marketing in our athletic department would come in a close 2'nd place to fundraising.

Fellow 'Backers, we are asking a lot from our AD at NT. We are asking him to raise money to build a football stadium that will cost more than what NORTH TEXAS has had in its entire endowment coffers for most of our alma mater's history.

So does RV want to be a caretaker AD or the kind of AD that NT really must have at this time of our program--that is the question, right? rolleyes.gif

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Not to thread jack this but how long does a typical AD last at a school? Is it normal for one to leave after 5 yrs, 10 yrs? I just want to know how long we can "predict" that we will have the great RV.

Not to thread jack this but how long does a typical AD last at a school?  Is it normal for one to leave after 5 yrs, 10 yrs?  I just want to know how long we can "predict" that we will have the great RV.

Our A.D.'s have had all kinds of tenures from 3 days ( jim Hunter of Iowa) to several years-- Hayden Fry. If I had to put $$$ on it I would lay odds that RV is the A D at TCU by the end of next week. ohmy.gif

Not to thread jack this but how long does a typical AD last at a school?  Is it normal for one to leave after 5 yrs, 10 yrs?  I just want to know how long we can "predict" that we will have the great RV.

It really depends on the situation. If the AD is an alum or from

that region, the AD can be there for a very long time no matter

how bad they are. Before Hyman was AD, we had an AD that

was here for over 20 years. However, he was alum that was

connected to the right people to protect him here even though

he did not have a clue on how to hire a good coach.

Call me naive, but Rick V. is making plenty of money here. I'm convinced that after a certain amount of money, doing a good job becomes the number one goal. I think Rick's objective here is to build a new stadium. I think he'll be here until that job is completed.

GO MEAN GREEN

Tell that to Terell Owens.

I'm not very knowledgable about people who are at the job level that you're talking about (AD, Head Coach, Pro Athlete), but I have observed a couple of things. People at that level are driven by ego and money.....and records.....so that's three.

In the case of a pro athlete, he wants to have the opportunity of continuing his all-star status while at the same time making more money. His records go with him, regardless of how many teams he plays for, so money would seem to be his main motivator. As well as the opportunity to pad his records/awards.

Money figures in pretty much the same way with AD's, but to me, an AD's "record" would be established by program growth and facility growth. I can't think of a bigger "ego" boost than having the biggest facility and program growth in the history of a D-1 school happening on your watch.

IMHO that puts you in line for much bigger jobs than the one at TCU. wink.gif

Call me naive, but Rick V. is making plenty of money here.  I'm convinced that after a certain amount of money, doing a good job becomes the number one goal.  I think Rick's objective here is to build a new stadium.  I think he'll be here until that job is completed.

GO MEAN GREEN

I can see where RV may look at TCU seriously and they at him. He has past experience at TCU, he knows the DFW area, and he wouldn't have to relocate. RV has done a lot at NT to move us forward. He has probably also had a lot of frustration trying to get fans to donate and support the program while searching for that elusive "big" donor for the new football stadium. I don't expect him here forever but I hope the next AD has at least half his work-energy.

Our A.D.'s have had all kinds of tenures from 3 days ( jim Hunter of Iowa) to several years-- Hayden Fry. If I had to put $$$ on it I would lay odds that RV is the A D at TCU by the end of next week. ohmy.gif

I disagree, Dallas Green, as I think TCU will do a national search (which shows the Frog faithful that they still want a national presence) and then they will ultimately hire a suave, savvy, "grew-up--in-a-country-club-existance" type gentleman with (maybe) premature silver (turning purple?) hair that none of the aforementioned hardly fits our present athletic director IMHO. That is not mean't as a criticism to Rick V, either, because each NCAA D1-A athletic director has his/her own style. I think most of us would agree, Rick V's style has been what NT has needed for the time he has been in Denton. Fundraising from all quarters of our main campus seems to still have room for improvement, though.

Individual personalities at NT don't much excite me much these days anyway no matter who goes or stays, but rather what our campus officials, ie, the NT Board of Regents are collectively setting as our alma mater's lofty goals are the things that really excite this alum.

I am not sure what we have planned at our new Mean Green Athetic Village can ever be topped with anything that has even happened at our school in general, athletically or on the playing field in our 100 plus years of existance. What venues and facilities that will be located (and a few that already are) on those almost 200 acres at Eagle Point plus the purposes they will each fulfill for our whole school could become something short of phenomenal.

If we don't "small time it" like we sometimes have the propensity to do in Denton and build too small a football stadium, a true NCAA D1-A sized football stadium coupled with all the other venues we will have out at Eagle Point will move us ahead of even some BCS schools IMHO.

Nevermind the timetable on finishing each and everyone of the remaining venues, but our top school officials and NT Board of Regents have created this dream as shown in the virtual tour video that they had to approve for public consumption; yet, they are all working toward fulfilling that lofty goal.

Whoever the AD is at UNT, Rick V or whoever) will be asked to put that on top of their priority lists, make haste and go out and do some serious fundraising. Lest we forget, TxDOT still needs highway frontage land that is located right up next to the press box side of Fouts Field so this new stadium business for NORTH TEXAS is not a luxury but rather a neccessity.

And as Coach Darrell Dickey said in that virtual tour video and I very liberally paraphrase him: "What UNT sets out to do it always fullfills." cool.gif

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

It really depends on the situation. If the AD is an alum or from

that region, the AD can be there for a very long time no matter

how bad they are. Before Hyman was AD, we had an AD that

was here for over 20 years. However, he was alum that was

connected to the right people to protect him here even though

he did not have a clue on how to hire a good coach.

Connections to the right alumni hits it right on the head. Do you think Deloss or Mack give a rat's--- about what anyone else thinks as long as Tom Hicks and Red McCombs are in their back pocket-- it's all about $$$ and as much as I think RV is one of the 3 greatest things to happen to NT ( Hayden Fry & Norval Pohl being the other two) I wouldn't blame him one bit for jumping at this opportunity. In spite of all he has done he is not an alum, he has had to deal with apathy and adversity more than he could have ever dreamed when he took this job, and the man who has helped him the most --Dr Pohl is also feeling heavy pressure from the Jackson camp. If we were to lose them both near the same time we are back ten years immediately. ohmy.gif

Connections to the right alumni hits it right on the head. Do you think Deloss or Mack give a rat's--- about what anyone else thinks as long as Tom Hicks and Red McCombs are in their back pocket-- it's all about $$$ and as much as I think RV is one of the 3 greatest things to happen to NT ( Hayden Fry & Norval Pohl being the other two) I wouldn't blame him one bit for jumping at this opportunity. In spite of all he has done he is not an alum, he has had to deal with apathy and adversity more than he could have ever dreamed when he took this job, and the man who has helped him the most --Dr Pohl is also feeling heavy pressure from the Jackson camp. If we were to lose them both near the same time we are back ten years immediately. ohmy.gif [/quote from Dallas Green]

................................................................................................

Yet who ultimately comes forward with the Big Bucks for our new stadium will be someone with ties to NT or better so, one from NT who very pro-actively creates a tie to a non North Texan. So in that regard, we need to hope our AD will create the same kind of ties to that special person(s) as Darrell Dickey did with Jim "Mattress Mac" McIngvale, a former UNT football player during the Fry era that it took a former Kansas State Wildcat, ie, one Darrell Dickey to develop as to give Big Bucks to our alma mater. On the other side of the coin, that does not bode well for those from NT who themselves did not make this happen with Mattress Mac. We've only had since around 1973 to do so since that is when he was a senior at NT and on the Mean Green football team.sad.gif

Jim, you know as well as I know, there are many, many more Mattress Macs out there with NT ties. They seem to come out of the woodwork quite often these days since NORTH TEXAS has (after almost 100 years) gotten out of its passive fundraising mode of operation.

But concerning NT Ex Matrress Mac and Coach Dickey's development of that huge financial gift, if we don't get that kind of results-oriented fundraising efforts from our other North Texas leadership and fundraisers, then we do have some problems in Denton, Texas, America. Still on the matter of turstile's count and apathy (of which NT does not have a corner of that market), continued growth on campus and Denton County will remind us just as Bob Dylan said in the title of one of his famous folk songs, "The Times They Are A-Changin' and I believe they really are and (moreso) for the good.

Future NT Exes (or who I fondly call our Young Gun alums) will one day talk about how our school "used" to have apathy and turnstile problems (which of course came from a much smaller NT campus and constituency). Even during the Hayden Fry era in Mean Green Country, Denton County was listed as a rural county of just over 90,000 citizens in a Texas Almanac from that era. Fry never had the luxury of a 32,000 enrollment UNT "OR" a Denton County that has over half a million citizens. But that was yester-year and yester-year is gone.

Jim, as you and I both know, UNT still has yet to tap into (in a serious and methodical way) the Greater Lewisville and lake cities market in our athletic marketing and promotions. Why? You and I have wondered that for years; but if our school can just find a map thats gets us off campus and into the rest of Denton County and beyond, then we will start filling some more of those empty seats at our campus venues and apathetic students (which I reiterate all schools have) will probably even take notice.

<>*<> Concerning TCU, I am sure they will get the right man for their job and if it is Rick V, then so be it. I still love going to football games at Amon Carter Stadium. I actually get goose bumps when I walk into that old stadium and reminisce as to who used to play in the Horned Frogs "Grand Old Lady" of a football stadium.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen