UNT Bashing on Frog Board

Black Scholes

Please accept my apology.

Yes, me too - I did not mean to offend. Sometimes I just feel like a broken record - if you think of SC as South Carolina - and their name is University of South Carolina, why do they not use USC for their marketing? I think a school chooses the best moniker for their own alumni base and one that can be marketed. TCU specifically goes with TCU because they do not want to emphasize "Christian" in the University Branding by saying Texas Christian anymore. There was a long article in their school paper about that when Hyman came on board like 7 or 8 years ago. That is why they go with TCU, not because it is an acronym. Their research showed that emphasizing the word "Chrisitian" in the name would alienate future fans and future students... so instead they went with TCU. There is a different story for every school... for ours it is the fact that we have been North Texas for 80 years but UNT for only 17 or so...

What I don't think I have explained is this - I would NEVER want just North Texas on my diploma... I am very happy with my diploma saynig University of North Texas... but I would also NEVER want to see UNT on my football helmets, or any other team uniform. And just one small bit of information - I have been to a women's basketball game (The Women's NIT in Stillwater) where small parts of the opposing fans were chanting the bad word "C--U-N-T" and the other side saying "©unt" (pronounced the bad way) - the kids were screaming (with laughter included) - pass it to the number 11 ©unt... no wait, pass it to the #14 ©unt... Boy those ©UNT players sure have big lips. I didn't want to get graphic about this but I don't really think there is any other way to explain how embarassing it was; for myself and for the girls playing the game and getting stomped by the Cowgirls... for marketing women's teams this has disaster written all over it. I just feel that we have to look at the whole picture and the consequences of these decisions.

Edited by stebo

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have never heard anyone smerk when they heard the initials UNT..... Guess I have more polite friends.  To me the initials is no big deal

To me, what we, the fans and alumni, hear opposing fans call us by adding a certain letter to the beginning of UNT(i.e. a name for a part of the female anatomy) is not so much the issue. It is the fact that our female athletes have to hear it. To me, that certain word is among the most offensive in the English language and I'm a man. I can only imagne what it is like for one of our female athletes to have to hear it. If you don't think it happens, ask a softball, soccer or track, athlete and they will tell you.