U of Florida Getting Their Pants Sued Off Over NIL

Georgia quarterback Jaden Rashada has sued Florida coach Billy Napier, top Gators booster Hugh Hathcock and former football staffer Marcus Castro-Walker over a failed name, image and likeness deal that would have paid the quarterback $13.85 million, according to a lawsuit filed in federal court on Tuesday. 

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/georgia-qb-jaden-rashada-sues-florida-coach-billy-napier-among-others-over-botched-13-85m-nil-deal/

• Upvote 5
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

I figured this would start happening especially after Drez and JReese got screwed out of their original deals.   The next thing is going to be players screwing these creepy agents.    Some of these agents are getting like 20-30% on these shady deals as the middleman bringing very little value to the equation.  What a mess this NIL has become!

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 1

Just now, untphd said:

Could this be the beginning of the end.

If you mean the end of NIL, one can only hope.  If you mean the end of college football . . . I wouldn't rule it out completely.

You would have to think that this and other developments would lead to much tighter regulations of NIL and financial incentives for athletes to attend an institution.

• Upvote 4

52 minutes ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

If you mean the end of NIL, one can only hope.  If you mean the end of college football . . . I wouldn't rule it out completely.

You would have to think that this and other developments would lead to much tighter regulations of NIL and financial incentives for athletes to attend an institution.

I agree.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, untphd said:

Could this be the beginning of the end.

Nope!  The only thing that will bring an end is donor fatigue and lack of ROI.  In the meanwhile, the game will just change and adapt!

• Upvote 3

Just now, GMoney said:

Nope!  The only thing that will bring an end is donor fatigue and lack of ROI.  In the meanwhile, the game will just change and adapt!

I think you are overly optimistic.  Will the game survive?  Of course but at what cost.  I think the G5 and lower P5 schools will have to re-evaluate their investments.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, cousin oliver said:

I think you are overly optimistic.  Will the game survive?  Of course but at what cost.  I think the G5 and lower P5 schools will have to re-evaluate their investments.

There is no optimism in anything I typed!  I don't know if "donor fatigue or lack of ROI" will ever happen.  However, it will not be regulations, laws, or school's self-discipline that will change NIL...only a lack of cashflow from donors. 

• Upvote 5

9 minutes ago, GMoney said:

There is no optimism in anything I typed!  I don't know if "donor fatigue or lack of ROI" will ever happen.  However, it will not be regulations, laws, or school's self-discipline that will change NIL...only a lack of cashflow from donors. 

Point well taken.  I think you are most likely correct. 

• Upvote 2

If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.  The idea that a high school football player is worth $13.85M or $9.5M is ludicrous and grotesque, yet here we are.  The "adults" dangling this in front of him should be ashamed.  I hope the young man wins his case.

• Upvote 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 2

I am reading a book that touches on the history of football. In the early 20th century, college football was WAY bigger than professional football and society considered it gross and off-putting that anyone would play a sport for money. There was only honor in playing a sport for the love of the game. 

Obviously, nowadays everything is about ME ME ME and “How much can I get?”. But everything old is new again and I could see society swinging back around to the glorification of the amateur athlete. 

• Upvote 6

1 hour ago, MeanGreenZen said:

I am reading a book that touches on the history of football. In the early 20th century, college football was WAY bigger than professional football and society considered it gross and off-putting that anyone would play a sport for money. There was only honor in playing a sport for the love of the game.

I have my doubts about that premise. In every sport that got popular there was always money being made and people pushing the honor of amateurism to keep their costs low and profits high. The Olympics were supposed to be the peak of amateur sport and they've been rife with corruption.

• Upvote 2

40 minutes ago, NT80 said:

I used to admire college athletes for their buy-in to the program and putting themselves on the line for the school and team.   Now, I am skeptical of all of them; their reasons for being here and how long they intend to stay.  

". . . Playing the game for the money and fame and glory of me, me, me."

• Upvote 1
  • Pissed 1

5 hours ago, NT80 said:

I used to admire college athletes for their buy-in to the program and putting themselves on the line for the school and team.   Now, I am skeptical of all of them; their reasons for being here and how long they intend to stay.  

Want to really mess with heads? Think about what previous generations of players would have done if the system accommodated NIL back then.

Like, what would Cobbs have done?  Would he have stayed at UNT? Would he have turned down a big bag of NIL?