SWAC leading rebounder Brian Myles to announce where he's going

Doesn't say a date, but we are in his Top 4.

Miles led the SWAC this year with 9.3 RPG to go along with 11.9 PPG at Prairie View A&M. He also averaged an assist a game.

We are the best program in his Top 4. The most interesting thing: he ALSO went to the same school Scott and Massie attended. He's been retweeting a lot of their stuff in the recent past.

I would love if that meant he'll land here, but I've noticed that doesn't happen often. These players who played together will be each other's biggest fans but seem to want to go on their own paths.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, emmitt01 said:

Yeah, there are exceptions…and sometimes they’re guys who go from North Texas TO a SWAC school…before playing pro ball

https://meangreensports.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster/jeremy-combs/69

He was a good player for us. I just looked him up and the guy has played all over the world from Sweden to Israel to Vietnam to Australia. 

1 hour ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Dang... after 7 years of success you'd think the company we keep on lists like this wouldn't look like THIS. Embarrassing. 

Not a perfect parallel, but I’m reminded of the Dickey era and how he didn’t capitalize on the Sun Belt titles like we hoped for.

whats the deal? Is our brand - bball, fb, whatever - still suffering on the recruiting trails? Are we still looked down upon by hs coaches?

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

2 hours ago, GMG_Dallas said:

Conflicted. He was a good rebounder at the SWAC level but he's 6'7". How will that transfer to the AAC? He could certainly be successful here at that height but I hope we're going after more true bigs.

He played the 4 at PVAMU which is what I'm hoping he would slide into here. He looks a little bigger than Aaron but he wouldn't replace all of Aaron's shooting. He only went 7-20 from 3-point land this season. Maybe Hodge would make him work on being able to stretch the floor more in the postseason and give him more of a green light in Denton.

11 hours ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Dang... after 7 years of success you'd think the company we keep on lists like this wouldn't look like THIS. Embarrassing. 

Shows you that these players in the portal are more concerned about money than your program history. Better get used to it. These are the kinds of players we are going to be able to get here. We aren't going to get the top-rated transfers. Go after guys that will play hard and want to be at North Texas. If they are grad transfers, then we know for sure they will only be here one year. Added motivation for them to ball out. Robert Allen was a great example. He didn't come here for the NIL money. Played his heart out for us. 

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

I don’t know. His stats look reasonable to me from a production standpoint. Maybe a little undersized for a 4 in the AAC. We could definitely use a quality rebounder now that Allen is gone. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

A lot of you guys still haven't learned....

Many times, dudes transferring from a High-Major/P5 to NT looking for more PT aren't nearly as good as dudes transferring from a Low-Major/FCS, or even D2.

Heard a quote from Sonny Dykes about transfers and I thought it was genius (it is about football but I think it applies to basketball too).

He said that if they weren’t playing where ever they came from, they probably won’t play for you either. 
Obviously there are some exceptions to that. But on the macro scale, I have found it to be true. 
Your transfer classes should be loaded with guys who were productive at lower levels (Tylor Perry, Jason Edwards) or guys who were productive at higher levels (Robert Allen, CJ Noland) but who fell out of favor at their previous school for decent reasons.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, MeanGreenZen said:

We got Tylor Perry from a junior college. That is a lower level. Did his college basketball career even continue when he left here?

I'm an idiot sometimes, and this was one of those times.  I think throwing TP in the middle of a Sonny Dykes Texas Tech football quote in which you're clearly not quoting - only paraphrasing - threw me off ab it.

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, MeanGreenZen said:

He chose Nicholls State. lol. I’m going to keep trusting in Ross until I have a reason not to.

There are a ton of players still in the portal. It sucks, but we have to be patient and see how things play out. Let the big money NIL's grab up who they want and there will be a lot of really good players looking for a place to land. 

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, MeanGreenZen said:

He chose Nicholls State. lol. I’m going to keep trusting in Ross until I have a reason not to.

I HAVE to assume that his offer got pulled and became illegitimate. It looks awkward having our logo next to those others. I either thought he was just stringing along the other schools to create BS hype for himself OR our offer was no longer good and he was trying to add legitimacy to himself with our logo up there on his graphic. Either way, see ya. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, MeanGreenZen said:

Yeah maybe I should limit the number of threads about players whose finalist lists we make lol.

I can't imagine Nicholls could offer more $$? They're called Nicholls for a reason.

• Haha 2
  • Oh Boy! 1