Spring transfer portal

Deion Sanders downplays transfer exodus from Colorado

"In the wake of 14 Colorado players entering the transfer portal this week, Buffaloes coach Deion Sanders downplayed the notion that their departures will have a significant impact on the team."

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/39970066/deion-sanders-downplays-transfer-exodus-colorado

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, cousin oliver said:

I mean like wow, we must have the highest exit rate of any program pertaining to NIL.  I think UNT needs to focus on one and done guys that will graduate or whatever until these type of NIL and portal rules get addressed by our politicians.

Unless you know a kid can come in and contribute right away, what is the benefit of signing guys out of high school. I think this really hurts recruiting at that level. Why develop them for someone else? The only players that will use the red shirt year will be ones at big schools getting paid nice NIL deals to sit the bench as insurance. Going to have to be able to adapt quickly to the new landscape in college athletics.

• Upvote 5

12 hours ago, 97and03 said:

Wasn't he injured in high school which kind of allowed us to swoop in pick him up?

I wonder if he was progressing.  Is he entering the portal?

I may have uncovered why he is leaving.  He signed as a 6' 205 lb. LB and after a year in our program he shrunk from 6' to 5'10" and ballooned to 220 lb.  

(someone will get upset or dispute that last sentence thinking I was serious)

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

41 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Wasn't he injured in high school which kind of allowed us to swoop in pick him up?

I may have uncovered why he is leaving.  He signed as a 6' 205 lb. LB and after a year in our program he shrunk from 6' to 5'10" and ballooned to 220 lb.  

He couldn't crack the depth chart on a poor defense. I think he was told to look elsewhere.

Edited by jtm0097
  • Upvote 2

On 4/19/2024 at 12:32 PM, UNTLifer said:

Didn't shrink, for some reason our HC decided to put real heights on the roster instead of overstated them like 90% of the other teams do.  

• Eye Roll 2

On 4/19/2024 at 11:36 AM, NorthTexasWeLove said:

There are approximately zero reasons to recruit high school players. 

I disagree. NIL pricing right now is nuts. AState ended up dropping $80,000 on a Colorado QB transfer who played two games and went 0-2 in those games. True freshman went 6-5. Held off some NIL bids to get him into the portal and he's back, basically because his family thinks he can score a much better deal after starting a full year. His number one backup will be a true freshman.

You only have so much money to spend and using a money ball philosophy the best buys are offensive linemen, linebackers and strong safeties. So you either get cheap transfers who are cheap for a reason or you sign freshmen and develop them to play the skill positions.

Every year a bit over 20% of the people eligible to play football run out of eligibility. Someone has to take freshmen and develop them.

A-State has brought in freshman kickers the last two seasons because of the expectation the starting kicker was going to get bought. So he went this year and we will face him at Michigan. A-State can't pay six figures for a placekicker, say we possibly lose eight points over the season, we can't afford to pay $25,000 per point to make up the difference and as the UFL has shown, there are good kickers out there.

I 100% believe modern roster building has to include a lot of portal activity but you still have to patch the holes by developing freshmen unless you've got a massive budget and even then the P2 are spending on high school players they project as big contributors.

Way I see it, the big losers are jucos. Why would spend much on juco OL when I can get an Ole Miss castoff for just a bit more and they've faced better competition? I'd rather take a WR from Incarnate Word than Blinn because the Incarnate Word kid is getting just as many snaps but playing better competition.

Edited by Arkstfan
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Arkstfan said:

I disagree. NIL pricing right now is nuts. AState ended up dropping $80,000 on a Colorado transfer who played two games and went 0-2 in those games. True freshman went 6-5. Held off some NIL bids to get him into the portal and he's back, basically because his family thinks he can score a much better deal after starting a full year. His number one backup will be a true freshman.

You only have so much money to spend and using a money ball philosophy the best buys are offensive linemen, linebackers and strong safeties. So you either get cheap transfers who are cheap for a reason or you sign freshmen and develop them to play the skill positions.

Every year a bit over 20% of the people eligible to play football run out of eligibility. Someone has to take freshmen and develop them.

A-State has brought in freshman kickers the last two seasons because of the expectation the starting kicker was going to get bought. So he went this year and we will face him at Michigan. A-State can't pay six figures for a placekicker, say we possibly lose eight points over the season, we can't afford to pay $25,000 per point to make up the difference and as the UFL has shown, there are good kickers out there.

I 100% believe modern roster building has to include a lot of portal activity but you still have to patch the holes by developing freshmen unless you've got a massive budget and even then the P2 are spending on high school players they project as big contributors.

Way I see it, the big losers are jucos. Why would spend much on juco OL when I can get an Ole Miss castoff for just a bit more and they've faced better competition? I'd rather take a WR from Incarnate Word than Blinn because the Incarnate Word kid is getting just as many snaps but playing better competition.

The options are A) Take a transfer with experience that is surely as talented as a true freshman or B) Take a true freshman and watch him get plucked away if he is as talented as the transfer with experience that you opted not to take. 

Why not take the transfer QB that is toward the end of his college career that has a lesser likelihood of transferring out again. 

7 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

The options are A) Take a transfer with experience that is surely as talented as a true freshman or B) Take a true freshman and watch him get plucked away if he is as talented as the transfer with experience that you opted not to take. 

Why not take the transfer QB that is toward the end of his college career that has a lesser likelihood of transferring out again. 

Main is reason, unless you've got a really big NIL budget you have to develop some freshmen. 

AState brought in a Colorado QB and turned my stomach listening to him on a podcast talking about how NIL was going to give him a nest egg to get married to his long-time girlfriend after the season. Knew we had thrown that money in a hole. When guys see the finish line and understand there's no NFL contract waiting, they are likely to want the cash and make sure they can still walk straight and add and subtract when football ends.

• Upvote 1

When we put a player on scholarship, how much money are we talking about per scholarship?  Does that come out of the overall AD budget or is there a budget per scholarship sport?  Is the cost (to the AD or team) different if the player is in-state or out-of-state?  Does a scholarship pay for off-campus housing or does the student-athlete have to reside in a dorm?