BREAKING: John Buggs III enters the portal

2 hours ago, MeanGreenZen said:

But under a different system there may be a way to compensate schools like North Texas for those players and help North Texas find new players to replace them. 

We’d also have to compensate schools for players that transfer TO North Texas?  It’s a wash.

Schools are no more “stealing” players from us than we are from them.  It’s not robbery, it’s musical chairs.  

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

As for the thread, I think it's really funny that 2-5 days prior, everyone was citing Buggs as an important returning piece (I guess they were assuming he couldn't/wouldn't transfer again?), and then as soon as this news hits, he's "special needs", "one-dimensional player", and "easily replaceable".

People continually misguiding their anger to the players instead of the system.

Yeah the flip flopping is pretty embarrassing. It's a coping mechanism.

• Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, NT93 said:

We’d also have to compensate schools for players that transfer TO North Texas?  It’s a wash.

Schools are no more “stealing” players from us than we are from them.  It’s not robbery, it’s musical chairs.  

This is a way for the money to trickle down through the system. 

Schools can designate which players are allowed to transfer for no compensation (the ones the schools don’t mind losing) and those who require compensation to take. 

Low major players cost X, Mid major players cost Y, High major players cost Z. You could also put a premium price on players who played X minutes for their previous school or who made all-conference. 

There are many details to work out, but a system like that could work. 

• Upvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

1 hour ago, NT93 said:

Hmmm... not really. We are moving players upward as teams take from us upward. In this hypothetical scenario of buying out players, a JUCO can't dictate a buyout fee to us as much as we can dictate a buyout fee to SEC, Big12/10, etc. There is more risk for us taking the player out of JUCO/D2 than Kansas State taking a player from us. It would be a net gain for us and easily one. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

5 hours ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Hmmm... not really. We are moving players upward as teams take from us upward. In this hypothetical scenario of buying out players, a JUCO can't dictate a buyout fee to us as much as we can dictate a buyout fee to SEC, Big12/10, etc. There is more risk for us taking the player out of JUCO/D2 than Kansas State taking a player from us. It would be a net gain for us and easily one. 

We had players transfer in from Ole Miss, OU, TCU, and UTSA.  

Players transfer in all different directions, but for different reasons.  There are only so many roster spots available, so “the big boys” can’t be the only ones taking players.  Are they taking our good players and we’re taking lesser players from them?  Sure, but I think most of us were happy with the play we got from our transfers from the schools I mentioned above.  

I’m not defending the portal because I absolutely hate it, but to act like it’s a one way street of robbery is disingenuous.  The portal gives and takes…for all teams, not just NT.

20 minutes ago, NT93 said:

We had players transfer in from Ole Miss, OU, TCU, and UTSA.  

Players transfer in all different directions, but for different reasons.  There are only so many roster spots available, so “the big boys” can’t be the only ones taking players.  Are they taking our good players and we’re taking lesser players from them?  Sure, but I think most of us were happy with the play we got from our transfers from the schools I mentioned above.  

I’m not defending the portal because I absolutely hate it, but to act like it’s a one way street of robbery is disingenuous.  The portal gives and takes…for all teams, not just NT.

It's not 1 way... but our best players leave. And we haven't replaced them from p5 schools. Smart, drez, tp, etc were replaced by JUCO guys... Kai from D2. 

I am told there are over 2,000 players currently in the portal.  Looks like we might have a chance at six or seven...time will tell.

3 hours ago, drex said:

I am told there are over 2,000 players currently in the portal.  Looks like we might have a chance at six or seven...time will tell.

I wonder how many of those 2000 players were D1 starters vs bench warmers? 

I'd guess 20% vs 80%.

• Upvote 3